Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Registration - Is It Necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2022, 01:11 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 485 Posts
Default Battery Registration - Is It Necessary?

I came across this article some time ago. Having worked in a government battery lab evaluating chargers and batteries, battery registration in vehicles is relatively new to me since I first saw a sensor on the battery post in a car. Sure, we had battery charge/discharge and battery temperature monitors in military vehicles (tanks, etc) and also two battery banks, one only used for starting and one for silent watch activities, but those monitors were more upper end units.

Feel free to add other "papers" on the subject.
Attached Images
The following users liked this post:
straka (11-25-2022)
Old 11-26-2022, 10:50 AM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 212 Posts

I’ve also wondered about programming and registration. One point though that was missed in the article was fuel economy. For instance, watching battery voltage on my Silverado (gauge in the middle, can’t miss but look at it), I saw the voltage drop from its customary 13.5 to 12. I thought there was a problem but I came to find out that the charging system shutdown once the battery was sensed to be at full charge. That has to be a programmed item based on the installed battery.

Deep cycle discharging also significantly reduces battery life. I’m thinking such values are stored on the ECU and are cleared when the battery is exchanged. Anyone have this experience?
Old 11-26-2022, 11:39 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 511 Posts

Good information in that article. For those too lazy to read the entire article, here are just a few pearls:

WRT Battery registration:
"my research suggests that there is no real-world evidence behind rumoured alternator and electrical damage from the the failure to register batteries. The dynamic nature of 'smart' charging systems means the system is quite capable of adapting it's strategy to the 'mysterious' new battery when an identical new unit is fitted. Any charging adjustments based on age would be in millivolts, which would have a negligible effect on long-term battery life."

WRT Battery programming, or rather, if you choose NOT to reprogram:
"the main things to remember are:
- The battery being installed must be the same chemistry that is the programmed into the vehicle.
- Install a battery as close to the programmed Ah rating as possible - if forced, only go up in cpacity."
Old 11-26-2022, 05:08 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 485 Posts

I wonder how many have the battery voltage permanently displayed in their Multi-Function-Display?

And my other two cars have it as well; one permanently connected to the battery posts for an "always-on" display for a true battery voltage reading and the daily driver has one connected to the cigarette lighter. Same on my motorcycles, where one is connected to the battery posts for an "always-on" display for a true battery voltage reading and the other is part of the factory instrument display much like that on our 991.

Of course you need to know what the numbers mean while driving and also while charging or maintaining when connected to a battery charger.

Depends on the temperature, but when cold (6°C) I have seen 14.8V to 15.0V and when warmer low to mid 14s. An AGM battery should never be overcharged.

Source: East Penn.

Quick Reply: Battery Registration - Is It Necessary?