Aftermarket Carplay headunit vs modified PCM3.1

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2024 | 02:29 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Roman ACS
Everything, like the use of the factory fiber-optic system to give you the best quality audio?
They have fiber-optics adaptors. I just had basic audio, so can only talk about that, but the sound actually became 100 times better. I kinda suspected what crap the basic setup was, but it was much worse than I thought That Erisin somehow improved the sound beyond believe
Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

Old 05-13-2024 | 02:34 PM
Foosh
Burning Brakes

"Fiber optic adapters" sounds like they simply convert the fiber optic input to an analog output. If that's the case, you're not getting the sound quality a full fiber optic output would provide.
Old 05-13-2024 | 03:28 PM
Bergystyle
Track Day

Maybe it’s just me, but I feel more comfortable going with a brand name aftermarket audio manufacturer like Alpine that’s been around for decades and has lots of end user testing to ensure it will “do no harm.”
Old 05-13-2024 | 03:56 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bergystyle
Maybe it’s just me, but I feel more comfortable going with a brand name aftermarket audio manufacturer like Alpine that’s been around for decades and has lots of end user testing to ensure it will “do no harm.”
I certainly understand that. But in modern world those old-world brands often are too slow to react to changes. Those alpine units look a bit outdated IMO, and that empty panel real estate, gives away that it's not stock for AR person like me. And, most of all, I firm believer that volume should be regulated by physical ****. Not any kind of buttons. Buttons for volume is a show stopper for me.

I felt like it's well worth experimenting at 300 bucks and good reviews, and in the end extremely happy with the results. I no longer feel like driving a 20 year old car, while it still looks more or less stock:

Last edited by t-design; 05-13-2024 at 04:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Larson E. Rapp (05-13-2024)
Old 05-13-2024 | 04:57 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by t-design
I certainly understand that. But in modern world those old-world brands often are too slow to react to changes. Those alpine units look a bit outdated IMO, and that empty panel real estate, gives away that it's not stock for AR person like me. And, most of all, I firm believer that volume should be regulated by physical ****. Not any kind of buttons. Buttons for volume is a show stopper for me.

I felt like it's well worth experimenting at 300 bucks and good reviews, and in the end extremely happy with the results. I no longer feel like driving a 20 year old car, while it still looks more or less stock:
2nd all of this, hence I steered clear of all the mainstream after market units. There are nice Kenwood ones with *****. I think the CHTek one looks the best and mine arrives today!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Carplay headunit vs modified PCM3.1