Sponsored by:

Wheel Repair Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2022, 12:50 AM
irideti
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel Repair Questions

I curbed my car's front wheel earlier tonight. This is first time I curbed a wheel after owning various Porsche models during last 10+ years. I wanted to get some expert advices here before I bring the car to a trusted shop in my area. The car is a 991.2 and wheels are Carrera S 20", repainted in satin black by previous owner. The finish on the wheels started to show some age with noticeable if minor chipping/discoloring. I was contemplating about getting them refinished since last year. Here are my questions:
  1. Repair method. I've seen few curbed wheels repair by mobile guy who simply smoothed out the area and reapplied the finish. While the repaired wheels looks as good as new to most of people. However I can always detect flaw in color matching or little rough finish. Plus less than perfect 'square sidewall' here and there. Therefore I prefer to get my wheels repair by a good shop.
  2. Powder vs paint. I personally prefer durable power coating but can a wheel be powder coated after refinished with filler? I suppose the curbed areas need filler.
  3. I've been thinking about refinish the wheels in satin gold but not sure what would be the best solution for the center cap as factor ones don't come in gold.
  4. If I decided to stick with black, which black is best for staying clean and easy washing?
Thanks in advance
Old 10-19-2022, 05:19 PM
jberb55
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Aurum center caps here
Old 10-19-2022, 08:59 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by irideti
I curbed my car's front wheel earlier tonight. This is first time I curbed a wheel after owning various Porsche models during last 10+ years. I wanted to get some expert advices here before I bring the car to a trusted shop in my area. The car is a 991.2 and wheels are Carrera S 20", repainted in satin black by previous owner. The finish on the wheels started to show some age with noticeable if minor chipping/discoloring. I was contemplating about getting them refinished since last year. Here are my questions:
  1. Repair method. I've seen few curbed wheels repair by mobile guy who simply smoothed out the area and reapplied the finish. While the repaired wheels looks as good as new to most of people. However I can always detect flaw in color matching or little rough finish. Plus less than perfect 'square sidewall' here and there. Therefore I prefer to get my wheels repair by a good shop.
  2. Powder vs paint. I personally prefer durable power coating but can a wheel be powder coated after refinished with filler? I suppose the curbed areas need filler.
  3. I've been thinking about refinish the wheels in satin gold but not sure what would be the best solution for the center cap as factor ones don't come in gold.
  4. If I decided to stick with black, which black is best for staying clean and easy washing?
Thanks in advance
I just had my wheels re-painted by a local shop. There were a hundred shops that wanted to powder coat them, but the aviation standard shop would not powder coat because of liability of weakening the wheels, and they also criticized the standardization and monitoring of your average powder coat shop. Consequently, I searched for a shop that would paint them, and finally found only one in the area. . .

Quick Reply: Wheel Repair Questions