Sponsored by:

991.2 Targa 4 GTS - Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2022 | 05:37 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Default 991.2 Targa 4 GTS - Help

Hello fellow RL members,

I’m on the hunt for another 911. Given the craziness that still exists with these cars have narrowed my search to 991.2 models. Considering GTS or Turbo. Came across a car for sale at Paul Miller Porsche in Parsippany, NJ. It’s a CPO MB Targa GTS. I’m currently in HOU and was curious if there are any members who live near that dealer who might be able to put eyes on the car and give it a look over Mainly want to ensure overall condition inside and out is as expected for the mileage and if there are any obvious flaws not visible in standard photos, etc. Appreciate any assistance and or any advice for those who have done business with this dealer. Wasn’t initially even thinking about a Targa but thought it might be a fun car. No back seats in an RS and I have two young kids that would enjoy cruising with dad. Thanks!
Old 10-11-2022 | 04:29 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

I have had a number of Porsche cars, the last 2 are a 2013 Carrera S, traded that in on a 2017 Carrera GTS coupe. This is the best car I have ever driven, mild mannered if need be, and with the turning of the Porsche Sport Chrono Rotary dial, from Normal to Sport +, you now have a raging beast to contend with.

The 2018 GTS: The price looks reasonable considering it's a Targa and a GTS....

I looked it up on www.vinanalytics.com and for some, it missing a few non-critical options such as rear wheel steering and front axle lift. Remembering that a GTS is 20mm lower than a standard Carrera .there can be some challenges with driveways...Back up camera would be nice to have...didn't see it delineated. Some feel the 18 ways seats are beter than 14 way...I have 14 way and they are very comfortable. The dealer's web page provides a free CarFax....you'll be scrutinizing this closely.

8,793 Miles, outrageous, and a CPO 2 year warranty. The price looks good for a Carrera 4 Targa GTS. It will probably come with center lock wheels. Some folks don't like them...I have them; they are easy to change out with the right tools. You can also purchase additional warranty, 3 or ? years, from Fidelity, their Platinum level of service. I'd get 3 years, maybe even 5. Contact Michael Bernardo (mbernardo1111@gmail.com): He provides Rennlisters with great prices and a discount.

Your kids will love that cabriolet.

Just make a deal over the phone and buy the car. It is a CPO and has passed a 111 point inspection plan; there is a very high probability that the car is perfect, or very close to it.

2018 Porsche911 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet

• 8,793 miles
  • 18/26 mpg City/Hwy
  • 3.0L H-6 Engine
  • Automatic
  • AWD
  • Black Exterior
  • Black/Bordeaux Red Interior
  • Stock #: 220564A
Price$143,495

Last edited by Martin S.; 10-13-2022 at 02:22 AM.
Old 10-11-2022 | 07:00 AM
McLaren997
Racer

I would hate to buy a CPO car sight unseen, there have been quite a few cases where the cars were not right. One might ask "how can that be after 111 point inspection ?". I think they don't want to spend money and figure they will fix whatever after it is sold as a CPO. Of course the car could be perfect but if it was the price would be high.
Old 10-11-2022 | 07:10 AM
docskeet
Rennlist Member

If it’s the right car for you make a tentative deal for the car, put down a deposit, and fly out there so you can see/drive it yourself. You might even decide to take a road-trip to get home and get to know/enjoy your new car. That was my plan before one became available at a local dealer.
The following users liked this post:
McLaren997 (10-13-2022)
Old 10-11-2022 | 10:14 AM
Todd Gaine
Instructor

"Remembering that a GTS is 20mm lower than a standard Carrera S"

I have a 2018 991.2 GTS and it has PASM -10mm (from a base). I don't have the lift option and only occasionally scrape the front. Not sure I'd say this is essential unless you have -20 or -30mm.
Old 10-11-2022 | 10:18 AM
mgd7444
Rennlist Member

OP....I live 10 minutes away from Paul Miller and have a close relationship with them. In fact I am trading in my car and buying another from them this week. I can take a look at it for you if you're still interested. Fyi my experience with them has been excellent. They are always fair and easy to work with. PM me and we can go over details, I can set you up with my sales rep
Old 10-11-2022 | 10:52 AM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mgd7444
OP....I live 10 minutes away from Paul Miller and have a close relationship with them. In fact I am trading in my car and buying another from them this week. I can take a look at it for you if you're still interested. Fyi my experience with them has been excellent. They are always fair and easy to work with. PM me and we can go over details, I can set you up with my sales rep
Many thanks! I'll send you a PM.
The following users liked this post:
Martin S. (10-13-2022)
Old 10-11-2022 | 11:11 AM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

There is also a Targa 4S in stick near me if you are interested in rowing your own on a 991.1. Visually its mint.

https://www.porscheconshohocken.com/...bb2a96fs135721

Old 10-11-2022 | 11:22 AM
Laszlo_Laz
Pro

I was able to add an additional 3-year CPO on top of the 2-year CPO for about the same cost as Fidelity for my ‘18 991.2 so I’d inquire about that. Having a 5-year CPO covered by Porsche is a huge plus!
Old 10-11-2022 | 11:58 AM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Appreciate the tips coming in. I added a Fidelity warranty in the past (997.1 turbo) and it was nice peace of mind. Had the turbo 8 years. While the turbo was under its first warranty period I had both front radiators replaced and a small ($20 coolant hose) that required engine out service. That was enough experience to happily hand over 4k for the warranty. Funny enough it never had another issue, except TPMS (battery), which was covered. So recouped half the cost.

On the RS...I inquired about one. I missed the window to ask about it prior to the original warranty expiration. (Which by the way is a key milestone not to miss when pricing coverage.) Car was stored for the winter and I brought up the additional coverage when I took it in for the oil and misc. service. Had 2,200 miles at the time. Funny part was them waiting an hour to tell me they can't do it. Seemed they were confused about the 991.1 GT3 engine warranty and if the 991.1 RS was included. I knew it wasn't part of the GT3 campaign but went along for the ride while they kept me hanging to answer the original question about additional coverage. They actually inspected the car like they were going to cover it so had a little hope. Nice people but it never saw the dealer again, lived 5 minutes from Dundon so easy decision post warranty maintenance solution.

Anyhow, let me know if there are any items to watch out for on the 991.2 GTS Targa.

Thanks!
Old 10-11-2022 | 04:47 PM
bwiele
Pro

I've had a 2017 Targa GTS from new (which I custom specced) and I have had zero issues with the car. Scheduled maintenance only.
Old 10-13-2022 | 02:24 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Correction

Originally Posted by Todd Gaine
"Remembering that a GTS is 20mm lower than a standard Carrera S"

I have a 2018 991.2 GTS and it has PASM -10mm (from a base). I don't have the lift option and only occasionally scrape the front. Not sure I'd say this is essential unless you have -20 or -30mm.
Whoops, my bad, 20mm lower than a (Base) Carrera, and I believe 10mm lower than a Carrera S.
Old 10-13-2022 | 04:43 AM
Todd Gaine
Instructor

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Whoops, my bad, 20mm lower than a (Base) Carrera, and I believe 10mm lower than a Carrera S.
From the Porsche 991.2 GTS press release:
The standard Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) system provides improved
road grip and more precise steering behaviour in the GTS Cabriolets and the GTS Targa
models. The GTS Coupés exclusively feature the PASM sports chassis, which lowers the
body by a further ten millimetres (-20 mm total).

I have a cabriolet which is -10mm. Assume the Targa is the same.
Old 10-13-2022 | 11:17 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Talking

Originally Posted by Todd Gaine
From the Porsche 991.2 GTS press release:
The standard Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) system provides improved
road grip and more precise steering behaviour in the GTS Cabriolets and the GTS Targa
models. The GTS Coupés exclusively feature the PASM sports chassis, which lowers the
body by a further ten millimetres (-20 mm total)
I have a cabriolet which is -10mm. Assume the Targa is the same.
Now I have the details correctly, thanks for the correction....I now have the 991.2 GTS Coupe....and previously had a 991.1S. The 991.1S got down my driveway, no scrapes. When I brought the 991.2 Coupe home, the car's nose scrapped ever so slightly, causing me to buy a set of ramps that I crawl over on garage entry and egress. No more scrapes. I can dig up the brand name and model of the ramps, if needed by another Rennlister.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Targa 4 GTS - Help