Sponsored by:

Removing ashtray from 991.1 - without breaking anything

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2022, 02:23 PM
trekr
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Removing ashtray from 991.1 - without breaking anything

Greetings, everyone. I am trying to remove the ashtray module from my 991.1, in hopes of replacing it with the Suncoast "Non Smoker's Shelf Cup".

I started by opening my center console, then gently pried the bottom of the center console trim piece until it popped up, then gently moved my way around the center console trim piece until it was removed. That should give me good access to the ashtray module.

However, it doesn't "pop out" like I expected it would. I really don't want to break anything, so I'm hoping others who have done this surgery will have some advice on where to pull/pry/etc. to get the ashtray module out without damaging anything.

From there, it looks like I'll be able to pop the shelf cup into place with its built-in snap mechanism, replace the center console trim and be all done.

Thank you for any advice!
Attached Files
File Type: html
SKU991CCC.html (85.8 KB, 113 views)
Old 09-18-2022, 03:13 PM
911Raider
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

It’s been a week or so since I’ve installed my Kaizen cup holder, so I’m almost blank. If I remember correctly it just slides forward toward the gear shift, don’t believe there is anything that should break, but again, it’s been a week or so. Better safe than sorry.
Old 09-18-2022, 03:13 PM
mhconley
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 81 Posts

You need to also pry up the shifter surround, then the button module. Once the button module is out of the way the ashtray should slide forward and out. You can pry everything out with your fingertips. It's easy. I did it to install my Kaizen Kup.

Here is a video.

Martin

Last edited by mhconley; 09-18-2022 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-18-2022, 03:33 PM
trekr
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks all. It looks like Martin's "0 INSTALL Prototype.mov" video is exactly what I needed to see how to pry/remove the various components in order to replace the ashtray module with something else. I appreciate the prompt and helpful responses.

Quick Reply: Removing ashtray from 991.1 - without breaking anything