Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many of you switch to ALL SEASONS instead of WINTERS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2022, 11:39 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,121 Likes on 1,323 Posts

^^^^ this guy gets it.
The following users liked this post:
NI3 (09-12-2022)
Old 09-12-2022, 01:31 PM
Dgags
Racer

Received 229 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm in the Seattle area and have been running Michelin Pilot Sport 4S as my summer set and Sottozero in the winter on my .1S. The Sottozero are toward the end of their life and I'm deciding between all season or another set of Sottozero. I don't drive it in the snow but do go on winter drives over the pass in freezing temps, and regularly drive in the rain. The Sottozero have been great but I'm wondering if it's time to change to an AS tire. I know this has been touched on here but would like a little more feedback if possible. My kid has the Conti DWS 06 on his Alltrack and has had a small nail puncture and pothole rupture in the first 5,000 they've been on. So, I'm considering the Sottozero, Conti DWS 06, and Michelin Pilot Sport All Season.
Old 09-12-2022, 01:54 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Dgags
I'm in the Seattle area and have been running Michelin Pilot Sport 4S as my summer set and Sottozero in the winter on my .1S. The Sottozero are toward the end of their life and I'm deciding between all season or another set of Sottozero. I don't drive it in the snow but do go on winter drives over the pass in freezing temps, and regularly drive in the rain. The Sottozero have been great but I'm wondering if it's time to change to an AS tire. I know this has been touched on here but would like a little more feedback if possible. My kid has the Conti DWS 06 on his Alltrack and has had a small nail puncture and pothole rupture in the first 5,000 they've been on. So, I'm considering the Sottozero, Conti DWS 06, and Michelin Pilot Sport All Season.
If you are seeing snow when driving over mountain passes I would stick with winter tires. No point potentially wrecking your car. You have had the Sottozeros and are happy with their winter performance so stick with what you like.

The question I would ask if how much do you need the PS4S over the PS AS4 or the DWS 06+?

If you track the car then definitely stick with the PS4S. If not, then having the AS would minimize the time with the winter tires, but you will definitely give up some traction/handling/feel at the limit versus the PS4S.
Dgags (10-21-2023)
Old 09-12-2022, 03:23 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 138 Likes on 108 Posts

From what I have read its all about temperature. Roads just about everywhere are cleared of snow (especially deep snow) fairly quickly. To me, it comes down to which tire is going to stop you the fastest in cold temps. I think that would be winter tires not a/s?
Old 09-12-2022, 04:25 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911boy
From what I have read its all about temperature. Roads just about everywhere are cleared of snow (especially deep snow) fairly quickly. To me, it comes down to which tire is going to stop you the fastest in cold temps. I think that would be winter tires not a/s?
on a perfect surface, free from imperfections, slush, salt, water, ice, snow, gravel, and sand, sure yeah.
Old 09-12-2022, 04:41 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 138 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
on a perfect surface, free from imperfections, slush, salt, water, ice, snow, gravel, and sand, sure yeah.
I'm saying a snow/winter tire is better in cold temps on cold roads ...not sure what you are getting at?
Old 09-12-2022, 04:53 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911boy
I'm saying a snow/winter tire is better in cold temps on cold roads ...not sure what you are getting at?
oh oops, read that backwards.

allseasons have better stopping distances on cold dry roads (and cold wet roads, if memory serves...)

but keying off the first thing you said -- it's not just about temperatures. in fact, it's barely about that when we're talking about all seasons versus snow tires. temperature is more of the argument for all seasons versus summer tires. between allseasons and snow tires the argument becomes road conditions. even on well-groomed roads, a snow tire is generally going to be overall superior since it isn't rendered totally useless when you hit that small pile of packed snow between lanes.
Old 09-12-2022, 05:16 PM
Dgags
Racer

Received 229 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by thesaintusa
If you are seeing snow when driving over mountain passes I would stick with winter tires. No point potentially wrecking your car. You have had the Sottozeros and are happy with their winter performance so stick with what you like.

The question I would ask if how much do you need the PS4S over the PS AS4 or the DWS 06+?

If you track the car then definitely stick with the PS4S. If not, then having the AS would minimize the time with the winter tires, but you will definitely give up some traction/handling/feel at the limit versus the PS4S.
I certainly don’t need the PS4S. Had Toyo all seasons on my first 2013 base and they were fine for my needs. I took a lot of flak on the 991 forum because I suggested that for many people our cars were fine on all season tires. Just a couple years ago a person would be skewered if they even thought about running an AS tire on these cars.

I have separate wheel sets and actually like the different ride characteristics when I switch. Summer tires a little stiffer and more road noise. Then switch and have a more compliant ride for a few months.

Last edited by Dgags; 09-12-2022 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-12-2022, 05:46 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dgags
I certainly don’t need the PS4S. Had Toyo all seasons on my first 2013 base and they were fine for my needs. I took a lot of flak on the 991 forum because I suggested that for many people our cars were fine on all season tires. Just a couple years ago a person would be skewered if they even thought about running an AS tire on these cars.

I have separate wheel sets and actually like the different ride characteristics when I switch. Summer tires a little stiffer and more road noise. Then switch and have a more compliant ride for a few months.
I appreciate the quieter tire in the winter.

And love the feel of improved grip and handling.

I think that the improvement in tire technology with the breadth of the performance window of the all season widening may change people's perceptions on the all season option.

As discussed in another thread, 200TW tires of today are delivering R-cmpd performance from 20 years ago. Similarly all-seasons are delivering handling/grip performance of a high-performance tire from 20 years ago.

There is still a huge role for a dedicated track tire, a high performance tire, an all-season and a winter tire. The question is how many sets of tires do you / can you own, and what works for you.
  • I put winter tires on 4 vehicles, and when doing autocross would swap wheels 3x / month. My problem now is space to store 8+ sets of tires and the side eye my wife gives me when I tell her that I want to buy another set of wheels and tires.
Old 09-12-2022, 07:30 PM
PCARNTHZST
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 35 Posts

Stupid question time…I am considering driving my 991.1 Carrera S this winter (not on Harvey snow days if I can help it) do I need NO tires or will any winter tire I like do?
Old 09-12-2022, 07:41 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PCARNTHZST
Stupid question time…I am considering driving my 991.1 Carrera S this winter (not on Harvey snow days if I can help it) do I need NO tires or will any winter tire I like do?
Any winter tire will do.

Porsche spec tire will be better, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

FWIW when my rear Alpins need replacing (after this season) I will put on any set of rear Alpins I can find.
PCARNTHZST (09-12-2022)
Old 10-21-2023, 08:53 AM
yell03
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 160 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but...
Both of my Porsche's a 991.1 Turbo S and a 991.2 Carrera 4s run on Continental DWS06+ all-season radials year round.
It has not snowed yet, but in snow that is not too deep for the car I am sure they will be fine in a pinch.
My previous GTR had Dunlop all-seasons and I made it home from the N. Wildwood NJ to Bucks County, PA in 4"+ snow with no problems.

As for performance, my 991.1 Turbo S routinely does 0-60 in 2.6s and 1.6 60' times in any weather from 37 degrees up on unprepped streets on the DWS06+.

They are a nice looking tire also.

Last edited by yell03; 10-21-2023 at 08:54 AM.
Old 10-21-2023, 09:16 AM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,911 Likes on 945 Posts

just slapped the All Seasons (Conti's ExtremeContact) on the Targa. Will not see snow and salt...but dipping into the 30's next week. Hopefully the snow/salt does hold off. Figure the All Seasons add at least 2 months of drivetime, vs the 4S

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...=03YR0DWS06PXL

Learned something new re-looking at these on TireRack.com

A visible "DWS" indicates the tire has appropriate tread depth for dry conditions, as well as wet roads and snow. After the "S" has worn away, the remaining "DW" indicates the tire only has appropriate tread depth for dry and most wet road conditions. After the "W" and "S" have both worn away, the remaining "D" indicates the tire has appropriate tread depth for dry conditions only.

Last edited by Ksdaoski; 10-21-2023 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-21-2023, 09:20 AM
yell03
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
just slapped the All Seasons (Conti's ExtremeContact) on the Targa. Will not see snow and salt...but dipping into the 30's next week. Hopefully the snow/salt does hold off. Figure the All Seasons add at least 2 months of drivetime, vs the 4S
I try to use my SUV in bad weather, but there are times I have to take my Porsche out when there is road salt if my wife needs the SUV. Of course I wash it off asap and then try to get to a car wash that does the undercarriage once all the salt is off the road.
Old 10-21-2023, 10:41 AM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thesaintusa
Any winter tire will do.

Porsche spec tire will be better, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

FWIW when my rear Alpins need replacing (after this season) I will put on any set of rear Alpins I can find.
FWIW I replaced the rears with N-spec Alpins and this new set 'appears' to be wider. This was noted by both the service tech and myself.

Went with N-Spec b/c they were in stock and the dealership matched the best online price I could find with the same SKU.

Quick Reply: How many of you switch to ALL SEASONS instead of WINTERS?