991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need a Toyota GR86?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2022 | 01:54 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

I chose to go the Cayman route for my track days. I wanted a mid engine car to learn how to drive on the track. This was a great path for me. I bought a used Cayman R and tracked it 3 or 4 times completely stock and had a blast! I liked it so much I ended up doing a lot of modifications to make it even more track focused. To be clear, I spent money on the driver through proper coaching before I went changing my car too much. And to others points, sure, you can track your turbo but it was never meant to be a track car like other Porsches and will require a much higher learning curve if you go that route. I'm with others and recommend the Cayman\Miata\BRZ route. Good luck out there! Once you get bit by the track bug it's downhill from there!
Old 08-30-2022 | 02:29 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Guards_Red_991
Consider this: 1995 Toyota MR2. Mid-engine rocket! #snapoversteer
Yes please

I saw one on the road a few days ago and thought how sharp it looked.
Old 08-30-2022 | 03:10 PM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

I think either option is fine and if you can afford to own both, go for it. I just tracked my 991.2 for the first time earlier this month, it drives so differently compared to my S2k. With so much power on tap, I need to brake quite early and focus on the corner exits. Definitely certain tracks are power tracks, where the 911 will shine, but otherwise, for me, I feel I enjoy driving my S2k on track a lot more. It's so much fun carrying the speed through turns with a light weight, lower HP car and possibly keeping up with faster cars (with slower drivers, lol). The GR86 is also a very capable track car and will absolutely be fun to drive in (you'll be getting a manual one right?).
Old 08-30-2022 | 05:56 PM
PatrickL
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Speed2k
I think either option is fine and if you can afford to own both, go for it. I just tracked my 991.2 for the first time earlier this month, it drives so differently compared to my S2k. With so much power on tap, I need to brake quite early and focus on the corner exits. Definitely certain tracks are power tracks, where the 911 will shine, but otherwise, for me, I feel I enjoy driving my S2k on track a lot more. It's so much fun carrying the speed through turns with a light weight, lower HP car and possibly keeping up with faster cars (with slower drivers, lol). The GR86 is also a very capable track car and will absolutely be fun to drive in (you'll be getting a manual one right?).
Yes, manual is the way to go.
The following 2 users liked this post by PatrickL:
CT_Peter (08-30-2022), spyderbret (08-31-2022)
Old 08-30-2022 | 05:58 PM
PatrickL
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Guards_Red_991
Consider this: 1995 Toyota MR2. Mid-engine rocket! #snapoversteer
I once talked to an MR2 owner in a PCA event. I used to see MR2 on sale before covid. But not any more recently.
Old 08-30-2022 | 06:02 PM
PatrickL
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 18 991 C4S whoo

I ultimately sold mines due to it not being comfortable enough and up to par for my personal daily standards. My reason for having it is completely different then yours but YES it’s a great beginners sports car and consumables are much cheaper! Quite nimble and stiff right out of the box.
You have a nice collection of cars! I'm very interested in why the gr86 is not up to par for you. I'm also thinking of DD the 86 when the road condition is not good for the 991, for example, morning traffic. Is it like earth and sky when compare to your Porsche? Thank you in advance!
Old 08-31-2022 | 03:59 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by snake eyes
911 S are not cheap to track...
$2,000 plus set of tires every 4-5 track days
$1,400 in rotors every 10 track days?
$150 brake pads...multiple sets
Brake fluid flush $122 will need a few

10 track days = roughly $6,000+ maintenance by itself....
  • Tires: I use Yokohama ADVAN APEX V601, cost about $1,200 a set from Tire Rack. You'll get 5 to 6 track days, assuming 60 to 80 minutes a day.
  • Rotors: Hard to say...except, if you start out with GIRO Disc 2 piece slotted rotors from Apex Performance. Talk to Clark @ *(843) 299-0997‬. These rotors ain't cheap, but they run cooler and last longer. When it's time to replace them, you order up just the rotors, the hats are reusable.
  • Brake pads, if you use Pagid Yellow RS 29 pads front and rear, about $1,000. They will last ???, depends on how you use them...noting with GIRO DISC rotors, they will run cooler, pads will last longer,
  • Brake fluid: Get Motul 660 High temp brake fluid.
In order to keep expense down, and in the process learn the ins and outs of your car, you need to do all of the chores yourself. You will have a one tine investment in tools. In many cases you can do these projects with a friend, who just happens to have a good supply of tools as well as a base of knowledge.

If the "bug" has bitten, and you want to become a good driver quickly, consider Porsche's High performance Driving School at Barber Motorsport in Birmingham, AL. You be using their cars and tires...but you will pay for the privilege. Google the school and you'll see a progression of courses,,,,you can go so far as to earn a racing license.

Buy another car to learn to drive? This too is an expensive proposition. Learn to drive what you have. Enough said.
The following 2 users liked this post by Martin S.:
fractionofawhole (09-01-2022), The Ox (08-31-2022)
Old 08-31-2022 | 10:18 AM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 18 991 C4S whoo

I ultimately sold mines due to it not being comfortable enough and up to par for my personal daily standards. My reason for having it is completely different then yours but YES it’s a great beginners sports car and consumables are much cheaper! Quite nimble and stiff right out of the box.
What strain are you growing back there? Indica or Sativa?
Old 09-01-2022 | 01:30 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Default I would do

golfr
mini
Supra
miata (only because parts are near free)

In that order before toyota. The brakes on the toyota will need to be upgraded.

If I were stinking F-U money rich GT3 is the easy choice. I would not track a Turbo even with F-U money.
The following users liked this post:
spdracerut (09-02-2022)
Old 09-01-2022 | 02:43 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Zygrene on YouTube has a more track-focused car channel. He has experience tracking S2000, 911, Cayman, NSX, etc., and he picked up a new BRZ this past year. He went through a few track days with it stock and then did some light mods. I think his experience with that progression and insight in the videos below could be of value for your decision making.

Old 09-01-2022 | 05:54 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Another suggestion, not cheap....

Get a 2017 991.2 Carrera the base model*** with Sport Chrono...this is an incredible car. One of our locals has one and gets incredible results...keep it for X time in the process of becoming track proficient, then sell it and take that monster 991 turbo car to the track. I suspect that 991.2 Carrera base model will remain, and the 991 turbo car will be relegated to weekend duty and "Cars and Coffee" events.

***I don't know how this "Base Model", a seemingly somewhat derogatory label, term originated. There is nothing "Base" about a 991.2.. When I had a 993, it was referred to as a 993 Carrera. There was also a Carrera S and 4S....we never called the 993 Carrera a Base Model. I only use the Base Model term as it seems to be in somewhat common usage these days.

Last edited by Martin S.; 09-01-2022 at 06:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Do I need a Toyota GR86?