Sponsored by:

Convertible top creak/squeak when opening and closing

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2022, 02:04 PM
Lippy
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Convertible top creak/squeak when opening and closing

Hi, My 991 cab has an awful creak/squeak that seems to be coming from the center of the top when I open it and close t. The noise is most pronounced at about the halfway point of opening. If I stop it at that point and slightly move the top mechanism back and forth with my hand, I can get it to make the noise. So you'd think that, if I can do that, I could lube it in the area of the noise and solve the problem. But no. No matter what I try or what lube I use (Dupont silicon, silicon grease, Dupont dry lube) I can't seem to fix it. It's really an awful noise. Has anyone else experienced and solved this? And does anyone know the correct lube points toward the middle of the 991 top?
Old 03-11-2023, 12:58 PM
312view
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lippy
Hi, My 991 cab has an awful creak/squeak that seems to be coming from the center of the top when I open it and close t. The noise is most pronounced at about the halfway point of opening. If I stop it at that point and slightly move the top mechanism back and forth with my hand, I can get it to make the noise. So you'd think that, if I can do that, I could lube it in the area of the noise and solve the problem. But no. No matter what I try or what lube I use (Dupont silicon, silicon grease, Dupont dry lube) I can't seem to fix it. It's really an awful noise. Has anyone else experienced and solved this? And does anyone know the correct lube points toward the middle of the 991 top?
I have the same issue on my 991.1. I’ve tried lubing every visible joint using the various chemicals specified for the 997 in other threads here. Made some improvement but still sounds awful. Seems like it should be one of the easiest things to address on the car, but alas…
Old 03-13-2023, 01:45 PM
GTS99ONE
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a 2017 991.2 GTS Cab and am hearing the same squeal as the top opens. Commenting so I can see if anyone else has found a solution.
Old 03-13-2023, 10:46 PM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 212 Posts

Been there.
The following users liked this post:
regajohn (07-02-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 05:04 AM
rhett67
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vanlieremead