Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can 991 Turbo (non-S) turbochargers be fitted to a 4S?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2022, 04:51 PM
Aparsh
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Can 991 Turbo (non-S) turbochargers be fitted to a 4S?

Hey Guys,
I'm sure someone has answered this somewhere on the internet, but the problem with searching things related to turbochargers is that the Turbo and Turbo S model inevitably bring a ton of search results not related to the question I'm looking for.

I have a manual 2019 Targa 4S i got from copart that is going to be a huge project, end goal is to have a GT3 NA 4.0 motor, gt3 rs body panels, full paint job, custom interior.

However for now i'd like to get this car running well to make sure everything is correct before i start swapping stuff.

The car seems to have driven over something or gone off the road and so there is some damage underneath the car. I've got the car over at a good mechanic and one of the bigger issues is that the driver side turbocharger was damaged and they recommended full replacement, noting: "The driver side turbo oil sump is broken off the turbo. The heat shield to the oil sump is also bent out of place. Turbo Center cartridge is broken and cause of the oil leak due to damage to oil sump damage. Recommend replacement turbo, turbo wastegate actuator (if not part of turbo) oil sump and heat shield."

I found a listing on ebay for a pair of turbos from a Turbo model, which i believe are bigger turbos capable of making more power. But they were also designed to fit the Turbo's 3.8L engine. Does anyone know if these are bolt on for the Targa 4S's 3.0L motor? Direct swap? I'm thinking if they are that the car may not be happy with the stock tune but maybe an aftermarket tune could make this work?

That way when i do eventually move to swap to the GT3 4.0L I not only have a low mileage 3.0L motor but also even better turbos for the next user.

Thanks,
Alex
Old 08-16-2022, 06:20 PM
blackcheetah
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Aparsh
Hey Guys,
I'm sure someone has answered this somewhere on the internet, but the problem with searching things related to turbochargers is that the Turbo and Turbo S model inevitably bring a ton of search results not related to the question I'm looking for.

I have a manual 2019 Targa 4S i got from copart that is going to be a huge project, end goal is to have a GT3 NA 4.0 motor, gt3 rs body panels, full paint job, custom interior.

However for now i'd like to get this car running well to make sure everything is correct before i start swapping stuff.

The car seems to have driven over something or gone off the road and so there is some damage underneath the car. I've got the car over at a good mechanic and one of the bigger issues is that the driver side turbocharger was damaged and they recommended full replacement, noting: "The driver side turbo oil sump is broken off the turbo. The heat shield to the oil sump is also bent out of place. Turbo Center cartridge is broken and cause of the oil leak due to damage to oil sump damage. Recommend replacement turbo, turbo wastegate actuator (if not part of turbo) oil sump and heat shield."

I found a listing on ebay for a pair of turbos from a Turbo model, which i believe are bigger turbos capable of making more power. But they were also designed to fit the Turbo's 3.8L engine. Does anyone know if these are bolt on for the Targa 4S's 3.0L motor? Direct swap? I'm thinking if they are that the car may not be happy with the stock tune but maybe an aftermarket tune could make this work?

That way when i do eventually move to swap to the GT3 4.0L I not only have a low mileage 3.0L motor but also even better turbos for the next user.

Thanks,
Alex
Your project is nut but why not buy a real gt3 ? Aniway with a big wallet everything is feasable good luck ,for the turbo swap The 3.8 turbo will not fit the 3.0 engine
Get some Tial m800 or Pure turbos with fbo and à cobb protuner to tune it

Last edited by blackcheetah; 08-16-2022 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-16-2022, 06:44 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Nope, not even close, unless you want to throw a lot of money at it.

As an aside, if you want to get the car running well to make sure nothing is off, consider getting it running with stock parts, not heavy modifications.

Quick Reply: Can 991 Turbo (non-S) turbochargers be fitted to a 4S?