C4S pulling the front axle

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 09:10 PM
cptn_majestic
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C4S pulling the front axle

Hi all,

has anyone had any luck pulling their front axles on a 991? The FSM recommends dropping the front final drive, which seems a bit overkill. My car needs an alignment anyways, so figured I could mark off and kergiggle the suspension bits kind of like the guides for a 996/997.

Is there any good reason not to go this route? I could always drop the front final drive, although the fsm is vague here, but would rather avoid the extra effort.

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2022, 11:55 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 848 Likes on 426 Posts

It has something to do with messing up the struts they suggest you pull them out from the center of the car vs. manipulating and pulling the strut out of the way to pull them out through the wheel well.

I had both front axles replaced because the inner boots were ripped and I just left the dealer do it.

Old 08-14-2022, 11:14 AM
cptn_majestic
AutoX

Still not sure how vertical and horizontal orientation matters here. I figure they drop the final drive so they don't have to realign?
Old 08-14-2022, 12:07 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 848 Likes on 426 Posts

Watching some 996/997 youtube videos on the subject they do make it seem pretty straight forward.

If you take the front suspension apart like they do it didn't seem like they had to pull and tug on the shock components to get things out of the way.

Since I now have the QuickJack I might feel more confident taking care of this by myself the next time.

What is wrong with your front axles? I bought my new ones from FCP euro.
Old 08-15-2022, 04:41 AM
spiderspider
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

i had to when installing lowering springs. did not drop any final drive. hope i did it right..
Old 08-15-2022, 10:50 AM
cptn_majestic
AutoX

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
Watching some 996/997 youtube videos on the subject they do make it seem pretty straight forward.

If you take the front suspension apart like they do it didn't seem like they had to pull and tug on the shock components to get things out of the way.

Since I now have the QuickJack I might feel more confident taking care of this by myself the next time.

What is wrong with your front axles? I bought my new ones from FCP euro.
I bought some quick jacks a few months ago when I pulled my transmission, these things are magical. As for the axles, I’ve just got to replace the inner boots on both. Got a little bit too spirited on my last road trip, and came back to grease all over my front underbody
Old 08-24-2022, 10:41 AM
cptn_majestic
AutoX

Update, I called around to a bunch of specialty shops and the consensus is to NOT drop the front final drive and instead just move some of the suspension bits out of the way. Doing it this way probably, if you're careful, does not require an alignment, but would be good practice to get aligned after anyways.

Something similar to: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...moval-c4s.html for anyone unfamiliar.

Quick Reply: C4S pulling the front axle