Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Normal PDK behavior?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 01:22 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Received 657 Likes on 288 Posts

I have almost always let my cars get through the initial start up process and wait till the revs drop. Then off I go. I find this to be smoother as I have experienced the OP's issue in many different cars when I didn't let the idle drop. I do believe that excessive warm up is not great but waiting till revs drop seems appropriate to me. YMMV.....
The following users liked this post:
PorscheC2S (08-30-2022)
Old 08-30-2022, 01:43 PM
drdantheman1
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 119 Posts

Didn't think this would turn into a 2 page thread... some folks are passionate about the warm up sequence I guess! I'm going to continue waiting about 20-30sec until revs drop before shifting into drive, but to each his own. There is also an Escalade parked near me in my condo parking garage whose alarm is always triggered by my exhaust... so I don't typically wait much longer than that.
Old 08-30-2022, 01:45 PM
PorscheC2S
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by spyderbret
I have almost always let my cars get through the initial start up process and wait till the revs drop. Then off I go. I find this to be smoother as I have experienced the OP's issue in many different cars when I didn't let the idle drop. I do believe that excessive warm up is not great but waiting till revs drop seems appropriate to me. YMMV.....

That's basically what I do. I feel it's easier on the transmission then just slamming it in the drive and going and by the time I do that the water temp is already close to 100 degrees..
Old 08-30-2022, 09:59 PM
SConn
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 580 Posts

Same here. I always wait until the revs drop. They say new cars don't require "warming up" but I still like to wait until it's idling at normal range before pulling out.
Old 08-31-2022, 01:37 AM
Levy
Racer

Received 284 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by SConn
Same here. I always wait until the revs drop. They say new cars don't require "warming up" but I still like to wait until it's idling at normal range before pulling out.

yep.

it's not really a "warm up" imo. usually 15-30 seconds and until the revs kick down a bit. lower rpm's = smoother shift/take off.... and having the oil slosh around a bit can't hurt either
Old 08-31-2022, 08:13 AM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

When I get in the car it's usually because we're going somewhere. By the time I've got the NAV programmed, and selected what we're listening to on the infotainment, the engine has dropped off fast idle. It doesn't take that long. It seems like a minute maybe.
Old 08-31-2022, 08:56 AM
PorscheC2S
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
Not really. It is one of the issues that the 997.1 crowd has to deal with in terms of bore scoring. Because modern engines need to meet emissions control t requirements, they run rich when cold. It is better to start driving cold under light load, rather than letting it idle. At least that is what I learned from the experts repairing 997 engines

Bore scoring is from the lack of oil which is somewhat the case on start up....has nothing to do with warming the car up. I totally disagree with the myth. If you jump in and take off right away there is a lack of oil causing metal to metal contact which is scoring the walls. Also, running "rich" has nothing to do with it unless you're wide open throttle and only then will the motor get hot enough to cause issues OR you let idle long enough for damage to occur. The ECU will compensate the fuel mixture. Just my $0.02 worth.
Old 08-31-2022, 11:46 AM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 279 Likes on 177 Posts

I'm pretty sure Porsche recommends not waiting in idle, and start driving right away for modern models
Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

The following 2 users liked this post by t-design:
asellus (08-31-2022), verstraete (08-31-2022)

Quick Reply: Normal PDK behavior?