Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quebec Canadian cars -- Odometer Rollback

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2022 | 01:51 AM
gskv
Rennlist Member

Default Quebec Canadian cars -- Odometer Rollback

Anyone familiar with this province and their prices of cars?

I'm looking into a vehicle that is originally from Quebec. Sold & serviced by Porsche Prestige in Quebec. The car ended up being listed and inventory in Alberta. Super low mileage 991.2, which are easily rolled back using tools that one can buy online. (20k KM for a 2018)

Makes me think...if it was a 20k KM car @ 2018. Wouldn't Porsche Prestige want to keep this for themselves to sell? Why move it to another province? :S

I will be checking with technicians to check engine run time..............
Old 07-31-2022 | 09:47 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Default Carfax service history

Is a good tool to use as well.
Old 07-31-2022 | 10:57 AM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Is Carfax available there? If so, you can see how the mileage has increased between services and if there is a discrepancy somewhere. Low mileage Porsches are not uncommon….
Old 07-31-2022 | 11:18 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gskv
... which are easily rolled back using tools that one can buy online. ...
[citation needed]

Last I checked, you need an online-enabled PIWIS to perform such changes.

That said, 20km for a 2018 911 is pretty normal. There are plenty of people who buy 911s to decorate their garages.
The following users liked this post:
CSK 911 C4S (08-01-2022)
Old 07-31-2022 | 12:53 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hypothesizing that a 911 has rolled back mileage because it has mileage that you feel is low? Interesting. There are cars on this forums that are getting driven 1500 miles per year.
Old 07-31-2022 | 02:35 PM
Roman_911
Intermediate

A few points here:

i’m from Montreal Quebec

Prestige is known to lowball on trade-ins, so i’m not surprised they didn’t get the car

also right now the whole 991 market is dead in all of Canada. If you look up autotrader 2012-2019 911 you get 400 cars. The pre-pandemic norm was 180-250 cars. Nothing is selling.

20k km for a 2018 seems like a very average number for all of Canada. Don’t forget these cars are stored November to May, especially in salty Quebec.

i wouldn’t worry about a rollback in this case but check the car, it should speak for itself. I mean unless someone really drove it A LOT like let’s say 100k km then you’d be able to tell, but i doubt anyone would be rolling back a say 40k km car to 20k km
Old 07-31-2022 | 02:50 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jack F
Hypothesizing that a 911 has rolled back mileage because it has mileage that you feel is low? Interesting. There are cars on this forums that are getting driven 1500 miles per year.

Yup. My car did 1800 miles last year. I know people who drive way less.
Old 07-31-2022 | 03:40 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

I wouldn't necessarily jump to that conclusion.

My car originated in Quebec (although I purchased it from Porsche Centre Oakville). The vehicle history report shows the mileage steadily climbing over the 4 1/2 years of previous owners, only to then have an erroneous report where it jumped from 30,xxx km to 64,xxx in the span of a month, and then it dropped back to normal again on the next service.

Some folks might have walked away because of this, but I felt pretty strongly that it was simply a data entry error. And then, that was confirmed by the overrev report anyway. Both AB dealers will gladly produce the report for you, so certainly ask them!

Last edited by koala; 07-31-2022 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-01-2022 | 02:14 PM
gskv
Rennlist Member

thanks for the feedback everyone.

I don't want to cite a tool to stop the odometer from going. but a simple google or youtube search can surface this tool.
Old 08-01-2022 | 05:13 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The $500 thing? I'll bet real money that tool and others like it would either straight up not work, or enable the tamper indicator (and then maybe actually work, but the damage is done).
Old 08-02-2022 | 08:37 AM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Miles are not just stored/shown in the visible display. All the other computer modules store the real mileage data for when a fault occurred for example. (that will be date/time + km) Once a device like that is removed miles go back to what they are supposed to be or if it was done really poorly then some sort of fault comes up. The computers know via data feed from the transmission what gear they are in, what revs they are running and can calculate the miles. Most of these hack devices only screw with the communication between the cluster and canbus network giving a visual that miles are lower. Hours the car has been running is known number too via diagnostics software etc. The only way to throw this off without anyone truly 'noticing' is with odd wheel and tire sizes the car is not expecting. Safari your 991 with big mud tires a lift etc.
Old 08-02-2022 | 03:31 PM
Levy
Racer

Originally Posted by koala
I felt pretty strongly that it was simply a data entry error.
people would be surprised how often these mistakes happen. all it takes is messy handwriting or fat fingering a keyboard. works both ways too. have seen corrections being made for under and over reporting the odo. had a buddy who took his benz in for service at 50k miles. it left with 30k somehow ha!

pretty easy to sort out/get to the truth in most cases. getting it officially corrected with your state/province and/or reporting agency (carfax and the like) can be tedious/take some time but still very doable.
Old 08-02-2022 | 03:49 PM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Roman_911
A few points here:

i’m from Montreal Quebec

Prestige is known to lowball on trade-ins, so i’m not surprised they didn’t get the car

also right now the whole 991 market is dead in all of Canada. If you look up autotrader 2012-2019 911 you get 400 cars. The pre-pandemic norm was 180-250 cars. Nothing is selling.

20k km for a 2018 seems like a very average number for all of Canada. Don’t forget these cars are stored November to May, especially in salty Quebec.

i wouldn’t worry about a rollback in this case but check the car, it should speak for itself. I mean unless someone really drove it A LOT like let’s say 100k km then you’d be able to tell, but i doubt anyone would be rolling back a say 40k km car to 20k km
I guess they are not selling because greed got the best of people and they expect ridiculous money for their cars.

Old 08-03-2022 | 11:58 AM
RP4S911
Pro

I was a dealer. There are 3 reasons you see this. (Dealers getting rid of low mileage cars to other dealers)

-Sometimes a new-car dealer will unload a car at the dealer sale (Manheim Auction) knowing they can make a big quick profit during these times vs what they traded it for. Dealer auction results are over retail for low mileage cars. Esspecially true if, for example, a Rolls Royce dealer trades in a Porsche. Who cares how rare or low mileage it is, they don't want it, and want their money instead.

-A major factor as well is when a new-car dealer has too many nice trade-ins or used vehicles they take away the business of new-vehicles that may be priced much higher. Why deter sales from new vehicles with low mileage options?

-The 3rd reason (and most important during these times) would be because that traded unit/car has not been sold within a dealer's 30 or 60day timeline/policy. For example-- If you bought a $100k Porsche and were given $50k for your trade, $50k of that deal (including any of the profit from the new car sale) is sitting in that trade. Getting rid of it finally gets them all their money & profit for their new car sold. Especially sucks if the trade had a loan/pay-off, the dealer had to pay that off right away to get title and do your DMV work. So if a dealer a $100k car, they're potentially in the hole $100k immediatley instead of manking money ($50k trade sitting on the lot in the trade, and a $50k loan you had to pay off out of pocket). All gets recouped once that trade is gone/sold to another dealer or customer.

We would purchase extremely low mileage and rare vehicles from the dealer sales. All legitimate.

P.S. Any dealership questions or help, let me know. I worked in conjunction with many Porsche dealers. I actually have an allocation for the new GT3RS (I was put on the list 2 years ago, just in case).

Last edited by RP4S911; 08-03-2022 at 12:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
koala (08-04-2022)
Old 08-04-2022 | 04:40 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Levy
people would be surprised how often these mistakes happen. all it takes is messy handwriting or fat fingering a keyboard. works both ways too. have seen corrections being made for under and over reporting the odo. had a buddy who took his benz in for service at 50k miles. it left with 30k somehow ha!

pretty easy to sort out/get to the truth in most cases. getting it officially corrected with your state/province and/or reporting agency (carfax and the like) can be tedious/take some time but still very doable.
Yup. Still on my list of things to do before I eventually move on from this car. I don't want that misreported mileage to screw anything up.

Quick Reply: Quebec Canadian cars -- Odometer Rollback