Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing button on door handle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 10:20 PM
SConn
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 580 Posts
Default Replacing button on door handle?

It's the little things sometimes...the rubber button on my door handle has scratches and it bugs me. I would love to be able to pop it out and put in a new one.

From my search, it appears I'd have to buy an entire new handle, which is fine. But before I spend $170 on a used one, is it as easy as just popping out the "new" button and sticking it into my handle?

Has anyone done this before?
The following users liked this post:
Nashvegas (05-08-2024)
Old 07-29-2022, 08:00 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 353 Likes on 183 Posts

I had to replace mine due to a failure of the electronics inside. In my handling of this thing, the rubber button has no indication of being able to be popped out. The entire new handle was only about $55 (including the electronic mechanism inside) but it then needs to be painted to match the car (cost $65) and the replacement job is a real pain. The door panel needs to be disassembled, and getting the handle out and the new one properly reinstalled (without scratching the new paint) is a real test of patience and sleight of hand. Oh, and there's some tricky transfer of old wiring into the new handle. Not plug and play. A sucky job to say the least. It was 3-4 hours for me. If it really bugs you, it is a DIY job, but be aware of what you are getting into.
Old 07-29-2022, 12:16 PM
SConn
Drifting

Originally Posted by JW911
I had to replace mine due to a failure of the electronics inside. In my handling of this thing, the rubber button has no indication of being able to be popped out. The entire new handle was only about $55 (including the electronic mechanism inside) but it then needs to be painted to match the car (cost $65) and the replacement job is a real pain. The door panel needs to be disassembled, and getting the handle out and the new one properly reinstalled (without scratching the new paint) is a real test of patience and sleight of hand. Oh, and there's some tricky transfer of old wiring into the new handle. Not plug and play. A sucky job to say the least. It was 3-4 hours for me. If it really bugs you, it is a DIY job, but be aware of what you are getting into.
Ya that's what I was afraid of. Definitely not going down that rabbit hole just for a rubber button. I'll just have to think of something I can maybe put over it to protect it for the future. I never use those buttons.

Thanks for your feedback!
Old 07-30-2022, 04:25 AM
fluguy
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I noticed whitish scratches on my driver's door rubber button. I thought it was wax but I scratched with my finger nail and it changed. After a minute or so I had scratched off what seemed like a plastic film and it's now all black again. Not sure if this is what you are seeing but hopefully it is the same simple fix.
Old 07-30-2022, 04:02 PM
SConn
Drifting

Originally Posted by fluguy
I noticed whitish scratches on my driver's door rubber button. I thought it was wax but I scratched with my finger nail and it changed. After a minute or so I had scratched off what seemed like a plastic film and it's now all black again. Not sure if this is what you are seeing but hopefully it is the same simple fix.
Yes...I did start scratching this plastic coating off. I'm sure it's a protective layer of some sort so I wasn't sure if I wanted to go any further. It would definitely look better once all off tho! I guess I'll bite the bullet and scratch it all off. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Replacing button on door handle?