Sponsored by:

PDK Failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 07:46 PM
TimYH
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
Even Apple provides tools you can rent and schematics to repair iphones. There is no reason why Porsche can't provide the same information. Or at the very least allow the manufactures of the transmissions to share that information open sourced. It would def raise the resale of their cars.
Apple actively fought right to repair for years. Also keep in mind, there are vastly more iPhones in circulation than there are Porsches with PDK. There's not a lot of incentive for Porsche to care about the resale value of their cars after a certain point. They have a CPO program for a reason. Beyond that, they don't care if the 991 is 60K or 15k, when it was new they sold it for $90k.

Not trying to defend Porsche AG. It would make things easier for the consumer if they provided dealers and mechanics with parts and training to repair PDKs. But to them this is entirely driven by financials. Porsche definitely has a very strong understanding of the real failure rate of the PDK transmission. They've had over 10 years to gather data on this and know where to bet their money.
Old 07-26-2022, 07:48 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,222 Likes on 739 Posts

Pretty unconscionable for Porsche to look you in the eye and say you need a need transmission, and it will cost you $35K. Nobody wants to pay $35K for a new transmission. Nobody. Even if you got tons of money.

It is bad enough to hear that replacing a transmission part will cost you $10K.

But which would you choose?
Old 07-26-2022, 08:43 PM
sbonomo
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Laszlo_Laz
Porsche should repair and/or provide ways for independents to do so.

I’d be absolutely sick at a $32k for a transmission.

Being a VW Group behemoth and then not taking on any responsibility or alternatives, I see future class action eventually as well.

Also, a good warranty is an absolute must for these cars. I’d never own one out of CPO or fidelity. That’s such a high risk.

Glad OP got the PDK repaired.

Please check in periodically on the long term reliability of the repair.
Definitely will - i had them replace all of the gaskets in the transmission to be double sure (the entire kit cost 200 bucks).
The following users liked this post:
Laszlo_Laz (07-27-2022)
Old 07-27-2022, 02:45 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by TimYH
Apple actively fought right to repair for years. Also keep in mind, there are vastly more iPhones in circulation than there are Porsches with PDK. There's not a lot of incentive for Porsche to care about the resale value of their cars after a certain point. They have a CPO program for a reason. Beyond that, they don't care if the 991 is 60K or 15k, when it was new they sold it for $90k.

Not trying to defend Porsche AG. It would make things easier for the consumer if they provided dealers and mechanics with parts and training to repair PDKs. But to them this is entirely driven by financials. Porsche definitely has a very strong understanding of the real failure rate of the PDK transmission. They've had over 10 years to gather data on this and know where to bet their money.
Well I guess I bring this up as they do spend a ton of marketing around stating how a higher percentage of their cars stay on the road. Obviously a high resale is good for newer cars too, as that does push up the price of newer cars not to mention quality around the brand. They even have dedicated services and shops in Germany to keep older cars on the road, I am sure there is some money to be made by all the parts they sell for the older cars. I can see your point, but there are also many points for them to make the cars relatively easy to repair down the line versus driving down the resale (Maserati) because they are too difficult/expensive to repair.
Old 07-27-2022, 05:33 PM
Fredie
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Bottom lines have obstructed customer service for far too long. And dealer “line mechanics/ technicians “ have become parts replacers and not seasoned well rounded technicians that can think for themselves. The days of field rebuilding are long gone simply because there is no real money in actual customer service and satisfaction.
Ahh! ain’t it grand?
Old 07-29-2022, 01:57 AM
Ed99
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 89 Posts

Ouch that really hurts with a $32K bill to swallow!!! Sorry to hear that. Since PDK seems to fail on 997.2 and 991 models...are there any issues with the manual transmissions on these gens?
Old 07-29-2022, 06:15 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed99
Ouch that really hurts with a $32K bill to swallow!!! Sorry to hear that. Since PDK seems to fail on 997.2 and 991 models...are there any issues with the manual transmissions on these gens?
Other than the reverse switch failure (reverse lights won't turn on and your sideview won't move downwards), not really. Even if this does happen there are cheap work arounds to make things work as they should and Porsche has extended the warranty on that failure.
Old 07-29-2022, 06:32 AM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Received 770 Likes on 416 Posts

I really don’t understand where you guys are coming from. The OP‘s car is eight years old and long since out of the warranty. I’ve never heard of any dealership from any level from Kia to the Rolls-Royce that has technicians that rebuild transmissions or car engines past warranty. Even if they do it under warranty there’s usually maybe one guy in the whole shop that can pull it off with lots of technical support. It’s just not what they do. They do oil changes and take care of warranty situations. There have always been local specialty shops for after warranty repairs for all car brands. My mother up in Maine has been bringing her Subaru to a European car repair shop for the last 15 years. Her car is 20 years old and runs like a top. Do you really think if she brought her 20 year old Subaru to the dealership they would rebuild a transmission for her? I’m sure they quoted the OP 30 grand just to get him to leave. It worked.
The following 3 users liked this post by Patton250:
asellus (07-29-2022), Highline-Autos.com (07-29-2022), rsclone (07-30-2022)
Old 07-29-2022, 09:33 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 444 Likes on 317 Posts
Default Just saw an ad for a place in alanta edit

Saying they repair pdk's. No affiliation or 1st hand interaction.

Found the link
https://atlspeedwerks.com/contacts/

Last edited by Bud Taylor; 07-29-2022 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-29-2022, 01:24 PM
TimYH
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed99
Mechanically the PDK is pretty stout. What seems to fail are the sensors within. There is a very informative thread on the repair procedure and here is the company that manufactures the replacement part.

Manual transmissions are as reliable as the driver basically. They're known quantities in terms of repair unless you really really do something stupid with it.
The following users liked this post:
Marcel911NL (06-30-2023)
Old 07-29-2022, 06:48 PM
Otakugamer
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Patton250
I really don’t understand where you guys are coming from. The OP‘s car is eight years old and long since out of the warranty. I’ve never heard of any dealership from any level from Kia to the Rolls-Royce that has technicians that rebuild transmissions or car engines past warranty. Even if they do it under warranty there’s usually maybe one guy in the whole shop that can pull it off with lots of technical support. It’s just not what they do. They do oil changes and take care of warranty situations. There have always been local specialty shops for after warranty repairs for all car brands. My mother up in Maine has been bringing her Subaru to a European car repair shop for the last 15 years. Her car is 20 years old and runs like a top. Do you really think if she brought her 20 year old Subaru to the dealership they would rebuild a transmission for her? I’m sure they quoted the OP 30 grand just to get him to leave. It worked.
This is a Subaru after all…probably didn’t need to be maintained at an expensive European car shop. Your local Indy servicing Hondas and Toyotas may have sufficed. 😝
Old 07-29-2022, 07:00 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Received 770 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Otakugamer
This is a Subaru after all…probably didn’t need to be maintained at an expensive European car shop. Your local Indy servicing Hondas and Toyotas may have sufficed. 😝
I promise I don’t have any idea what you mean. Try dumbing it down for me. If you were just being a smart *** it still flew over my head so break it down for me. Lol
Old 07-29-2022, 09:28 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

"Porsche: Excellence was Expected, but Apathy was Accepted."
The following 2 users liked this post by Noah Fect:
crazybabydoc (12-06-2023), noahabel (08-01-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 11:41 AM
RennListUser01
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

asellus, again, takes the position that Porsche is right/correct/can do no wrong/can't be blamed ... and waaay underestimates the number of transmission failures in his quip.

Would this horrid behavior be supported in this manner from another mass product manufacturer?

This isn't magic, asellus, it's gaskets, bits and components.
The following 2 users liked this post by RennListUser01:
Lippy (07-30-2022), Noah Fect (07-30-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 12:43 PM
Lippy
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Based on my own experience, having owned 25+ cars, German cars drive well but fall apart, and American and Japanese ones don't fall apart. I'm fine with that. But when we reach the point where "fall apart" = $25k repairs, I won't own a German car without an extended warranty. For me, the worry just takes the fun out of the experience. I've never had a trans problem with my Fords and Chevys (I usually drive them >200k miles), but if I did, I could get it fixed at a relatively reasonable cost. Those customers simply wouldn't put up with trannies that blow up at a relatively low mileage and cost a fortune to replace. BTW my Macan PDK blew up at 50k miles. I got rid of that car soon after because it was so unreliable, but that's another story.

Last edited by Lippy; 07-30-2022 at 12:53 PM.

Quick Reply: PDK Failure