Sponsored by:

Cool non-destructive iPhone mount

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2022, 02:39 PM
sxseventy
Track Day

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts
Lightbulb Cool non-destructive iPhone mount

For six months I’ve been trying to figure out a way to mount my phone such that it was secure and could wirelessly charge at the same time. I also didn’t want to stick something to the dash or have a visible bracket. I finally found what I think is the perfect solution and seems custom made for the 991.

First, I bought this (no affiliation)
Amazon Amazon

It is a heavy aluminum pedestal with a strong magnet on the base and another on the top.

It comes with some thin metal plates that allow it to be attached to your car and phone.

Round metal plate with adhesive on one side

Shield-shaped plate with adhesive on one side

What I did was mount the shield-shaped plate to the coin tray UNDER the rubber liner. This required drilling a hole in the plate to accommodate the rubber nub on the bottom of the liner.

Nub on bottom of tray liner

If I ever remove the pedestal mount, there is no sign of anything changed on the car.

Shield-shaped mounting plate attached to tray under the liner is invisible

The magnet on the pedestal mount snaps onto the plate through the rubber tray liner.

On the phone end, I needed to remove the magnet from the pedestal because it interfered with the MagSafe charger. It attached fine but the charging was pretty finicky. So what I did was remove the magnet held on with one screw and drilled a small hole in the round mounting plate. I mounted the round plate to the pedestal with the adhesive facing up. Then I attached the sticky side of the mounting plate to the back of the MagSafe charger.

I mounted the sticky side of the round plate toward the bottom of the MagSafe charger for better positioning of the phone when attached

I routed the cord on the charger a little off to the side for easier clearance

MagSafe charger on pedestal in the coin tray

Position of phone when installed

Now everything snaps together, the phone charges wirelessly and it doesn’t obstruct any controls.

Attached Files
The following 3 users liked this post by sxseventy:
05ag987 (05-22-2022), BSO (05-22-2022), skl2 (05-22-2022)
Old 05-22-2022, 06:10 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,280 Posts

Yeah, Mob and RAM are pretty heavily used in the motorcycle world. Tons of installation options, you can get pretty creative inside a car with them!

Quick Reply: Cool non-destructive iPhone mount