barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 460 Posts

water pump replacement is a + for resale
Old 05-22-2022, 07:13 PM
caritch
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree on resale. I had the pump replaced twice on my 2017 4 GTS. With the second,porsche also extended the warranty to 2027.
Old 05-23-2022, 11:25 AM
GTS99ONE
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS99ONE
Really appreciate the tip!! Will ask them tomorrow.
Just got off the line with my service rep. He said they did a thorough check on everything regarding coolant seepage/leak into the lines, etc. He said it was strictly a water pump failure with nothing else impacted, so they are only swapping out the water pump. I asked again and he was firm nothing else had been impacted after a thorough check.

I was also quoted roughly $750 for annual oil, filter, etc. plus 4 wheel alignment. Is this quote way out of line or to be expected?

Thanks to all for helping guide this new guy through it all!
Old 05-23-2022, 11:28 AM
devtec
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 89 Posts

Good news!

I wonder if you noticed whether your heater was able to blow hot air? You might ask the techs to confirm, because if not it could mean a changeover valve is not working.

Just saying this so you can be sure and not have to go through two rounds of service.
Old 05-23-2022, 11:53 AM
GTSMeister
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Just got off the line with my service rep. He said they did a thorough check on everything regarding coolant seepage/leak into the lines, etc. He said it was strictly a water pump failure with nothing else impacted, so they are only swapping out the water pump. I asked again and he was firm nothing else had been impacted after a thorough check.

I was also quoted roughly $750 for annual oil, filter, etc. plus 4 wheel alignment. Is this quote way out of line or to be expected?

As others have pointed out this is a common failure and well known enough that Porsche has extended the warranty on it out to 10 years. Attached is the relevant document.

For my normal 4 year service, the tech noticed a "weeping" coolant pump and performed the complete service of both pump and valve block. It's the process of coolant getting into the valve block (via vacuum) that causes the valve to fail and then the variable coolant pump to not respond to demand. You should insist that this service be performed including the valve block.
Attached Images
Old 05-23-2022, 12:37 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSMeister
As others have pointed out this is a common failure and well known enough that Porsche has extended the warranty on it out to 10 years. Attached is the relevant document.

For my normal 4 year service, the tech noticed a "weeping" coolant pump and performed the complete service of both pump and valve block. It's the process of coolant getting into the valve block (via vacuum) that causes the valve to fail and then the variable coolant pump to not respond to demand. You should insist that this service be performed including the valve block.
I had a relatively early failure and had to take my car back because of exactly this. I am surprised that replacing the block is not standard practice.

Oil change and alignment seems very high to me. Standard alignments, even in pricy SoCal can be had for around $140 and oil changes are not difficult. Seems like a nice Porsche tax is being applied here.
Old 05-25-2022, 09:10 AM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by desmotesta
it could also be as simple as coolant level just slightly lower than normal, it triggers the same warning and the "fake" temp gauge in instrument cluster goes to MAX

No. Level should be at or slightly above "MIN" mark with the engine cold.
I agree that it is unlikely that the car actually overheated in such a short drive. Our car doesn't even get fully warmed up in that time.
Old 05-25-2022, 10:33 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 363 Likes on 224 Posts

$750 for an OIL change holy ****......
Do you REALLY need the alignment?
Take it to an independent... highway robbery...

Quick Reply: CPO 991.2 4 GTS Overheat Warning