Squeaking glass sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2022, 07:26 PM
PCARNTHZST
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Squeaking glass sunroof

Hello fellow 991 owners.

The glass sunroof on my 2013 991.1 has started squeaking when it’s closed and it’s driving me made.
When the roof is vented or opened the noise is gone.

I have tried cleaning all the rubber gaskets then treated them with Gummi Pflege, I also greased the rails but the noise is still there.

To those of you who have suffered from this same annoying issue and managed to resolve it what do you end up doing to stop the madness?

I'm trying to avoid going to the dealer for the fix.

Thanks I’m advance for your guidance.
Old 04-21-2022, 09:13 AM
Schorsch
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 72 Posts

This video shows at 3:12 minutes what area has to be lubed with a brush. My squeal where gone after that
The following users liked this post:
PCARNTHZST (04-21-2022)
Old 04-21-2022, 09:16 AM
PCARNTHZST
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Schorsch
This video shows at 3:12 minutes what area has to be lubed with a brush. My squeal where gone after that
https://youtu.be/ox4g5uacweY
Thanks for that link, but I've already watched it and tried that with no luck.
Old 04-21-2022, 10:03 AM
poorshoeless
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PCARNTHZST
Thanks for that link, but I've already watched it and tried that with no luck.
Same here, watched it and tried w/out any improvement.
Old 04-22-2022, 03:52 PM
Schorsch
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 72 Posts

What type of grease did you put on the brush and rub it into?
I used this stuff:
LIQUI MOLY 3312 Silicon-Fett transparent Schmierfett Silikonfett Schmierung 100g
https://retromotion.com/sku/0222-331...YaAubxEALw_wcB
Old 04-22-2022, 08:46 PM
Levy
Racer

Received 284 Likes on 163 Posts

have you determined where *exactly* the squeak is coming from? "glass sunroof" is way to vague.

to do this, you'll need another person to drive while you apply light pressure at different points all around the glass and rails when it's squeaking. don't forget to check the shade too as it is often the source of sqeaks as well. you might need a thin/long screw driver to reach difficult spots (don't forget to wrap the screwdriver head with some duct tape or something soft to avoid scratching/damaging anything).

once you've determined where exactly it coming from, various countermeasures can be used to get rid of it.....depending on what's causing it. it could be anything from more lube on a specific area too installing a tiny piece of rubber on to a loose part. you may need to replace a part if all else fails.

it all starts with figuring out what exactly is causing it.

squeaks/rattles drive me nuts too. spent some time working with the NVH (noise/vibration/harshness) team for a large auto Mfg and had to transfer to another dept because it drove me nuts! almost had to seek therapy after spending months hunting down the little devils!! =)

good luck

Last edited by Levy; 04-22-2022 at 08:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Levy:
PCARNTHZST (04-22-2022), Schorsch (04-23-2022)
Old 04-22-2022, 10:25 PM
elansp
6th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi-

I lost patience trying to figure out how to fix this (mine is a 2013 c4s) so I bit the bullet and brought it to the dealer (I'm still covered for a few more months with my 2 year CPO warranty). They successfully fixed this. BTW, my sound was more of a creaking while driving and disappeared when sunroof was open so I'm not sure if its the same exact issue but in looking at the invoice there are a few service bulletins.

They "reworked" the entire sliding roof seal. This solved the creaking. Other remedial actions that are listed as possible fixes were replacing the guide rails or replacing power sunroof mechanism.

Best of luck.

Last edited by elansp; 04-22-2022 at 10:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PCARNTHZST (04-22-2022)
Old 04-22-2022, 11:09 PM
PCARNTHZST
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by elansp
Hi-

I lost patience trying to figure out how to fix this (mine is a 2013 c4s) so I bit the bullet and brought it to the dealer (I'm still covered for a few more months with my 2 year CPO warranty). They successfully fixed this. BTW, my sound was more of a creaking while driving and disappeared when sunroof was open so I'm not sure if its the same exact issue but in looking at the invoice there are a few service bulletins.

They "reworked" the entire sliding roof seal. This solved the creaking. Other remedial actions that are listed as possible fixes were replacing the guide rails or replacing power sunroof mechanism.

Best of luck.
What you are describing is exactly my issue. Would you mind sending me the details (you can send me a PM) on the work done at the dealer as well as the bulletins?

unfortunately I do not have any warranty.
Old 04-22-2022, 11:14 PM
elansp
6th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a copy of the invoice...

Page 1/2

Page 2/2
The following 2 users liked this post by elansp:
asellus (04-23-2022), PCARNTHZST (04-22-2022)

Quick Reply: Squeaking glass sunroof