Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you buy a MoTeC Standalone ECU if it was available?
Yes
50.00%
No
23.68%
Maybe
26.32%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Gauging interest: MoTeC Standalone ECU (991.2 Carrera)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2022, 05:10 PM
AlexZTuned
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Gauging interest: MoTeC Standalone ECU (991.2 Carrera)

With news of COBB and the EPA clamping down on US tuning devices, we are at great risk of losing the ability to tune this platform with full freedom.

Most people are very familiar with MoTeC and may even be familiar with their plug and play solution for the 991.1 Turbo.

Who would realistically be interested in such a setup with a MoTeC standalone in their 991.2 Carrera? If there’s enough interest, we can bring the costs down and actually make this happen.

The list of features and benefits is exhausting, but for those that know, it would open the door to incredible tuning flexibility and features we’ve never had before like rolling anti-lag, adjustable launch control, map switching, etc.
Old 04-20-2022, 05:17 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 653 Posts

Count me in. This is the real game changer.
The following users liked this post:
AlexZTuned (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 07:15 PM
cutlass476
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

I might be interested, depending on cost.
The following 2 users liked this post by cutlass476:
4 Point 0 (04-20-2022), AlexZTuned (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 11:44 PM
AlexZTuned
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by cutlass476
I might be interested, depending on cost.
The plug and play kit for the 991 Turbo is $7-8k, so that’s a good ballpark figure for the retail cost.

A Cobb AP + PDK tune + Protune is typically around $4k all in - and you’re still reliant on COBB’s dealer network in addition to the hurdles from their new CARB-compliant updates.
The following users liked this post:
4 Point 0 (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 11:47 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

I don’t think they would need to many up front orders to make it viable. As they can keep selling them for years to come. Its just time/labour to cover the initial programming.

For a one off unit, I was basically quoted double.

So if we had 4 people, they could just do retail, hopefully.

Hopefully Nathan can furnish us with more info soon.

Last edited by 4 Point 0; 04-20-2022 at 11:49 PM.
Old 04-21-2022, 08:05 AM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 354 Likes on 222 Posts

If you 'need' Motec, you should use Motec. An AccessPORT can be used in many advanced applications, but it's not nearly as elegant and can be problematic because of all the (excessive) tables. Lots of people have been fortunate enough to make the AP work, and it's a cheap solution for sure, but again, it's no Motec.

For those on Cobb or were considering Cobb, it makes NO sense to get a Motec for a few bolt-ons, be patient. I'm told there is a plan in the coming months that will resolve a lot of the panic this recent announcement has made.

The other thing to consider about Motec, is they are in short supply right now. There are LOTS of people jumping on this bandwagon right now, and the supply is not there to support it. I've seen some used or NIB units sell for crazy money over the last several months.
Old 04-21-2022, 11:31 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 701 Posts

With a Motec installed in lieu of the OEM ECU, you will not be able to pass inspection in NYS. I imagine NYS isn't the only state doing OBD2 inspections.

IMO the solution is hardware defeat devices that plug into the connectors of the sensors you wish to delete or disable.

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 04-21-2022 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-21-2022, 04:06 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
With a Motec installed in lieu of the OEM ECU, you will not be able to pass inspection in NYS. I imagine NYS isn't the only state doing OBD2 inspections.

IMO the solution is hardware defeat devices that plug into the connectors of the sensors you wish to delete or disable.
That’s not true at all. A MoTeC can 100% mimic a complete stock OEM ECU. Passing or not passing has zero to do with an ECU. If you are Catless, you won’t pass. MoTeC will allow you to be catless. MoTeC pretty much allows you to do anything you want.

Don’t forget the Rest Of the World. The timy few that have these hurdles will have solutions. Map switching and possibly replace cats for inspection, which some guys do now, without a MoTeC. Don’t confuse the issue.

Old 04-21-2022, 04:32 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
That’s not true at all. A MoTeC can 100% mimic a complete stock OEM ECU. Passing or not passing has zero to do with an ECU. If you are Catless, you won’t pass. MoTeC will allow you to be catless. MoTeC pretty much allows you to do anything you want.

Don’t forget the Rest Of the World. The timy few that have these hurdles will have solutions. Map switching and possibly replace cats for inspection, which some guys do now, without a MoTeC. Don’t confuse the issue.
It's definitely true, for NY at least. I worked in the high-performance industry for 7 years before becoming a software engineer.

To pass inspection the car gets plugged into a DMV computer. Then it checks the OBD readiness monitors, checks engine lights, pulls VIN information, and a few other pieces of data. It is why Cobb with its ability to disable monitors and force readiness was the preferred solution as it played nice with the DMV system. The stand-a-lone guys would have to swap back to stock ECU to pass, but once your car has giant fuel injectors, removed sensors, etc, you can get the car to a point where it will not run on anything but a standalone.

Passing the visual portion of the test is the easy part.

Some people just let the registration lapse, then re-register the car, don't get it inspected, let it lapse... So on and so forth.
------------------

I have friends that own the largest Subaru tuning shop around. They called me panicked the other day because a lot of their business involves removing air pumps, EGR, TGV's, exhaust parts, etc. They use the TGV plug to hook up flex-fuel etc. This is all gone now. The only thing available is Ecutek which is offshore but will be also taking these same measures early next year.

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 04-21-2022 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-21-2022, 04:39 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

It's definitely true, for NY at least. I worked in the high-performance industry for 7 years before becoming a software engineer.

To pass inspection the car gets plugged into a DMV computer. Then it checks the OBD readiness monitors, checks engine lights, pulls VIN information, and a few other pieces of data.
Its not failing because of a MoTeC. I can put a MoTeC in a 100% stock car and it will pass. It’s not the MoTeC causing any failure, its your mods.

People want MoTec for many reasons. The most obvious is to get the most from hybrid turbo’s.

This is the MoTeC thread. Not the don’t upgrade your cobb because you can no longer code out cats.

Most who want MoTeC also want catless.

This misinformation is real. I had multiple guys tell me that my car would not make 1 additional hp going from a 300 cell akra cat to catless. Complete bs. I made 50hp at the wheels. The bs spread to try and keep cats is astounding.

I saw a post before saying everyone supports changing your gender, yet you can’t change your car. 🤣

What i am trying to say is, nothing has changed. But MoTeC gives you all options. What you do with that, is upto you. COBB are removing options.

Americans may be ok with having their rights taken away in this instance, but the ROW aren’t. 🤣

It’s usually the other way around.

Last edited by 4 Point 0; 04-21-2022 at 04:45 PM.
Old 04-21-2022, 04:48 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Its not failing because of a MoTeC. I can put a MoTeC in a 100% stock car and it will pass.
Not in NY. Motec isn't OBD compliant. I'd wager my car on it.

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 04-21-2022 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-21-2022, 04:52 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Not in NY. Motec isn't OBD compliant. I'd wager my car on it.
If that is the case, then you are talking about something different to emissions. As the exact same stuff is emitted out the exhaust pipe regardless which ECU you have, on the same car with the same tune.

Here they have a sniffer they stick in the exhaust. So it couldn't care less about the controller. Only whats coming out the tail pipe.
Old 04-21-2022, 04:53 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

If that is the case, then you are talking about something different to emissions. As the exact same stuff is emitted out the exhaust pipe regardless which ECU you have, on the same car with the same tune.
For sure. We don't even do a tailpipe sniffer test at all. It's just a visual and the plug-in OBD test.
Old 04-21-2022, 05:02 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

One thing everyone should know. All current records shall fall when MoTeC enters the building.
Old 04-21-2022, 05:20 PM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 354 Likes on 222 Posts

You guys are arguing from two different ends and both right

Yes you can setup a Motec with a 100% stock tune and will work just like an OEM ECU.

No a Motec will not show as an OEM ECU when you plug into the OBD2 port. So at inspection stations that check the ECU through OBD2 for being correct to the car, no CELs (or CEL/reset history, etc.), a Motec will not pass.

Quick Reply: Gauging interest: MoTeC Standalone ECU (991.2 Carrera)