Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSA: Do not update your Cobb Accessport! (Project Green Speed)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2022, 04:58 PM
1CEBITN
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

Cobb told me the OTS tunes (stage 1 and 2) will not be affected so it's just the Protunes and only if they have changed any settings that have to do with changing/suppressing DTCs related to emissions. You may have to go a more mechanical route with O2 sims or the like to fool the ECU into thinking the O2s are reading properly, for example, vs turning the DTCs off in software. There should absolutely be a way they can provide tunes for an actual race car though, this is really an overreach from the government impacting private businesses. I guess nobody realizes most of us don't put a ton of miles on a car in a year and, even catless, we pollute less in 5k miles than an EV that drives 15k miles in a year and has to use coal for electricity to charge every night. EVs are not emissions free, contrary to what every Tesla owner seems to think once you plug them into the wall. I'm just not sure why they are taking an all or nothing approach instead of allowing exemptions for low-mileage drivers and all-out race cars that never see the street.
Old 04-20-2022, 05:02 PM
AlexZTuned
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 128 Posts

I have a remote Protune in progress right now, so I’m pretty bummed out about this and I don’t have any alternative tuning solution if Cobb closes the doors to tables that are needed for tuning hybrids on Ethanol.

I can live with a CEL for no cats, but if I can’t get map revisions because protuners are being shut out of adjusting certain map tables, that’s a major problem for anyone with a Protune and any off-road vehicle that uses Cobb.
Old 04-20-2022, 07:30 PM
cutlass476
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
I’m being told by my tuner to NOT update the Cobb AP, however, this was in COBB’s post - it looks like you’ll be forced to update if you want to update/add maps. Not good if you’re in the middle of a Protune…

Your Accessport will NOT force you to update the firmware or software. I downloaded the OTS Stage 2 tune for the 991.2 several months ago, when it was still available, and I still have it along with full functionality. The bigger concern is how restricted pro-tuners are if this update is forced on them somehow. I have all of my emissions equipment, just 200 cell cats, but you don't need a custom tune to run those w/o a CEL anyway. Just need one to take advantage of them.

I was looking into a pro-tune here in West Palm Beach, but now I'm a little concerned. I'll have to speak to my mechanic to find out what the deal is. He is very well versed in COBB protuning.
Old 04-20-2022, 11:36 PM
AlexZTuned
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cutlass476
Your Accessport will NOT force you to update the firmware or software. I downloaded the OTS Stage 2 tune for the 991.2 several months ago, when it was still available, and I still have it along with full functionality. The bigger concern is how restricted pro-tuners are if this update is forced on them somehow. I have all of my emissions equipment, just 200 cell cats, but you don't need a custom tune to run those w/o a CEL anyway. Just need one to take advantage of them.

I was looking into a pro-tune here in West Palm Beach, but now I'm a little concerned. I'll have to speak to my mechanic to find out what the deal is. He is very well versed in COBB protuning.
Obviously, this has little effect on canned off the shelf tunes that you can buy from Cobb pre-loaded. The primary issue is that protuners are literally losing access to ECU tables that allow them to create custom tune files.

I can deal with a CEL, I just want my car tuned.
The following users liked this post:
XLR82XS (04-21-2022)
Old 04-21-2022, 02:35 AM
tx-911
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Ughhhh this is crappy news…. so what’s the best option to run hybrid turbos at this point? Man this really blows.
Old 04-21-2022, 02:36 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,280 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by tx-911
Ughhhh this is crappy news…. so what’s the best option to run hybrid turbos at this point? Man this really blows.
MoTeC
Old 04-21-2022, 05:06 PM
tx-911
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

So how about APRs stage 3 as it stands right now, does anyone know if that tune would code out for catless pipes? or are they now on the same boat? crap this is so confusing, most of my bolt ons are on now, except upgraded turbos, and I had planned to go Cobb and pro-tune hoping for an E40 file, but this whole mess has me rethinking all my plans. 😩
Old 04-21-2022, 08:24 PM
AlexZTuned
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tx-911
So how about APRs stage 3 as it stands right now, does anyone know if that tune would code out for catless pipes? or are they now on the same boat? crap this is so confusing, most of my bolt ons are on now, except upgraded turbos, and I had planned to go Cobb and pro-tune hoping for an E40 file, but this whole mess has me rethinking all my plans. 😩
APR will be the last company the tune out catless pipes. In fact, APR has been working with the EPA in certifying emissions compliant tunes for many years now. They removed all of their "stage 2" maps that supported catless setups a few years ago and everyone freaked out. So, no, APR is not the solution to this.

I know a few people that are running APR's GTS kit with their TiAL turbos and they are about as quick as GTS turbos. They are quick (high 10 second cars), but the tune is not taking advantage of the extra flow of the turbos - there's a lot left on the table.

E40 tunes are still possible with COBB - that's what I'm currently working on with my tuner. He was forced to download the updated software last night and confirmed he no longer has the ability to turn off CEL's - so I will definitely have one because I'm running catless. The good news is that access to all the ECU tables he needs to make the tweaks to finish up my tune is still available. The only down side is I'll have to live with a CEL for life, which to me is fine if it means I can have the car tuned and completed.

I just heard that another huge tuning platform (HP Tuners) just made a similar announcement as COBB, so the options in the U.S. are becoming very limited as the EPA cracks down on emissions compliance.

There are tuners in Europe that can do direct ECU flashes (like APR) and can turn off your CEL (9FF is one company for instance), so if you can find a legitimate tuner based in the EU, you will more than likely be able to get tuned with catless pipes without a CEL because they do not need to adhere to these insane US regulations that went into effect in the Trump era...
The following users liked this post:
tx-911 (04-22-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 07:04 PM
cutlass476
Racer

Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
APR will be the last company the tune out catless pipes. In fact, APR has been working with the EPA in certifying emissions compliant tunes for many years now. They removed all of their "stage 2" maps that supported catless setups a few years ago and everyone freaked out. So, no, APR is not the solution to this.

I know a few people that are running APR's GTS kit with their TiAL turbos and they are about as quick as GTS turbos. They are quick (high 10 second cars), but the tune is not taking advantage of the extra flow of the turbos - there's a lot left on the table.

E40 tunes are still possible with COBB - that's what I'm currently working on with my tuner. He was forced to download the updated software last night and confirmed he no longer has the ability to turn off CEL's - so I will definitely have one because I'm running catless. The good news is that access to all the ECU tables he needs to make the tweaks to finish up my tune is still available. The only down side is I'll have to live with a CEL for life, which to me is fine if it means I can have the car tuned and completed.

I just heard that another huge tuning platform (HP Tuners) just made a similar announcement as COBB, so the options in the U.S. are becoming very limited as the EPA cracks down on emissions compliance.

There are tuners in Europe that can do direct ECU flashes (like APR) and can turn off your CEL (9FF is one company for instance), so if you can find a legitimate tuner based in the EU, you will more than likely be able to get tuned with catless pipes without a CEL because they do not need to adhere to these insane US regulations that went into effect in the Trump era...
What about finding an Indy Mech with a jailbroken PIWIS? Can't the CEL be turned off with a PIWIS. Not clearing the codes, but coded out? Might be worth looking into.

I consider myself lucky because I chose to run 200 cell Vektor Cats, so no CEL. Have you considered O2 simulators? That might get you around the CEL.
Old 04-27-2022, 10:19 AM
AlexZTuned
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cutlass476
What about finding an Indy Mech with a jailbroken PIWIS? Can't the CEL be turned off with a PIWIS. Not clearing the codes, but coded out? Might be worth looking into.

I consider myself lucky because I chose to run 200 cell Vektor Cats, so no CEL. Have you considered O2 simulators? That might get you around the CEL.
I have PIWIS and you can’t code out emissions/CEL. I’ve been running O2 sims (angled) with my catless setup and I have no CEL so there’s hope with the old fashioned method 🙏
Old 04-27-2022, 02:06 PM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by good2go; 04-27-2022 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-27-2022, 04:58 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

The mods are sold for off-road use only. If the tuners' customers choose to violate the law with them, that should be their responsibility.
The following 2 users liked this post by Noah Fect:
AlexZTuned (04-28-2022), flsupraguy (04-28-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 05:07 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by good2go
Wow it sure is impressive to be in a car forum with such important people.

I agree, this is all BS. Any company should be able to dump any chemicals or waste into rivers, streams or land they want, any factory can burn anything they want, letting smoke, chemicals, smog into the air, and any farmer can put any chemicals and pesticides they want into the soil. Obviously it goes without saying any Porsche own can modify his car to omit any exhaust he wants.

i’m in awe at just how important some of our members are. Please - no need to respond, you have busy lives.

I agree it is all BS. I am Net Zero. I planted a garden full of trees. That should buy me enough carbon credits to allow me to run my car catless.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

Last edited by 4 Point 0; 04-27-2022 at 05:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 4 Point 0:
JRBucks (04-28-2022), rugu6869 (04-27-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 05:13 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
The mods are sold for off-road use only. If the tuners' customers choose to violate the law with them, that should be their responsibility.
It should be, but it no longer is. What happened to freedom of choice?
Old 04-27-2022, 05:44 PM
cutlass476
Racer

Talking

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
I agree it is all BS. I am Net Zero. I planted a garden full of trees. That should buy me enough carbon credits to allow me to run my car catless.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.
My response is really aimed at good2go. All of this environmental regulation is largely for show. Emissions in the the U.S. are more than an order of magnitude less than they were in the 1970's. Even if the U.S. and Europe achieved "net zero" emissions, it would have essentially zero impact on the environment due to these two little countries known as India and China. Their combined emissions levels exceed the total emissions level of the ROW. It is quite simply posturing and a power grab. Placing additional imitations and controls on U.S. emissions, without any change in India and China, is like taking a bath to prevent your neighbor from stinking. It is almost entirely symbolic. Don't be sheep. Just my $0.02. Flame retardant undergarments have been donned. Let the tree hugging blue people have at it.

Last edited by cutlass476; 04-27-2022 at 05:45 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by cutlass476:
4 Point 0 (04-27-2022), enzotcat (04-27-2022), JRBucks (04-28-2022), rugu6869 (04-27-2022)

Quick Reply: PSA: Do not update your Cobb Accessport! (Project Green Speed)