Sponsored by:

Adding Android Auto for $130, OTTOCAST Wireless Android Auto Adapter U2-X

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 03:51 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 540 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by 911T4ME
I returned my first one (via amazon, super easy) and just hooked up the replacement. Fired right up. Hope it keeps working...

Has anyone successfully updated the firmware? if so, could you explain the steps. I tried using the brief user manual instructions and couldn't get it to work. Maybe that's what bricked my first one.
I finally updated the firmware successfully yesterday on the newer hardware (1502) version. Here are the steps:
  1. Download the firmware here - https://drive.google.com/file/d/14TB...t-eml-bck-a2e0
  2. Unzip the rar file
  3. Find a USB stick with 32 GB or less storage
  4. Format the stick for FAT32
  5. Place the update.img file in the USB root folder
  6. Connect the U2-X (the type C end) to a USB power source (I just used a wall outlet) - wait for the red LED to be continuous red
  7. Insert the USB stick in the other end
  8. Wait a couple of minutes
  9. When the firmware update is complete both the red and blue LED's will stay on continuously
  10. Unplug everything and you should be good to go
The following 2 users liked this post by koala:
Cur (06-25-2023), joeban (08-27-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 04:05 PM
911T4ME
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 108 Posts

Wow, that was fast (and a complete description). Did you update firmware to address a problem or just to keep the device up to date? I assume since the update, you've been happy with how it's working.
Old 04-27-2022, 05:06 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 911T4ME
Wow, that was fast (and a complete description). Did you update firmware to address a problem or just to keep the device up to date? I assume since the update, you've been happy with how it's working.
Long story short, I primarily purchased this unit for our GV80 as my wife has an iPhone and I have an Android phone, so it is annoying to switch cables - and the cubby in the GV80 that you plug your phone into is really cumbersome.

I updated the firmware as the previous firmware version literally wouldn't work with my Pixel phone, so I was hopeful this might trick it into working, which it did!

I only tried the device in my 911 as I was curious to see if it would work with my aftermarket AA/CarPlay box... but my wife doesn't drive a manual so I really don't need the wireless switching between the two platforms.
Old 04-27-2022, 10:18 PM
TimboCarrera
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I have about 1000 miles in the 911 using this product. I've switched numerous times between another vehicle which is aa equiped to use the wireless feature. After seeing others have had problems switching between cars I'll now keep it in the 911. Zero issues zero glitches. If left in the car and plugged in, the boot is 100% and so quick I never see the boot screen. The unit shuts down when the vehicle is turned off but after several minutes. The unit has been flawless. UNTIL This
An issue is that it takes the phone call away from any other bt device if the unit is powered even by hitting lock or unlock with the remote. Because of this I unplugged the unit for a few days and after this I had difficulty getting it to work again. I did get it to work again and will not move it to hopefully prevent that issue again. This for now solves my only issue with this car. If carstream is downloaded you have browser and youtube access. The unit fits great wedged in between the pax seat and center console and stays cool. My unit ran hot if layed in the armrest compartment. Best and cheapest mod so far with any vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
TheRoadWarrior (09-12-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 10:27 PM
TimboCarrera
Racer

Default Ottocast home

Fits great here
Attached Images  
Old 04-28-2022, 07:51 AM
911T4ME
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 108 Posts

Two more questions. Where do you get Ottocast firmware updates? Where do you get carstream? I looked on the Google play store and nothing seemed obvious.
Old 06-01-2022, 01:14 AM
bobs95
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Google Maps drops off

I'm on my second Ottocast module and having the same issue that caused me to return the first one -- wondering if anyone else has had this issue. When I first pair Ottocast to my '17 Macan GTS, Google apps show up on the PCM, including Google Maps:

Within about 15 seconds the Maps icon changes from color to black and white:

If I press the Maps icon this message comes up -- "When it is safe, enable the app by opening it on your phone."

I opened Maps on my phone (Samsung S20+ running Android 12) but it didn't appear on the PCM. The one time Maps did work, right after pairing it, 10 minutes into my trip the PCM screen went black; I disconnected Ottocast from the Macan and used Maps on the phone to finish the trip.

Hoping someone here has had this issue and can suggest a fix -- I was going to buy another Ottocast for my 991 but not now...
Old 08-04-2022, 10:16 PM
wquiles
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I bought and installed the Ottocast U2-X on my 2017 C2 this week. I first did a firmware update (it needed it - there was a new firmware update pending), and I know it has only been 2 days, but it has been flawless with my Pixel 6 Pro. I love how well it works and that I don't need to plug/unplug anything - wireless is the way to go.
Old 08-04-2022, 11:12 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 431 Posts

Just need to make sure the device connects to both bluetooth and wifi on your phone for it to work.

I'm using a different unit in my VW Atlas for apple car play. If it doesn't hook up it's usually not hooked to one or both.
Old 08-27-2022, 09:22 AM
joeban
2nd Gear

Thanks Timbo, good idea for locating the device...I was wondering if it was a bit hot in the centre console.
Old 08-27-2022, 09:37 AM
joeban
2nd Gear

Great information everyone - gave me the confidence to buy one for my 911. Thanks for sharing!

My U2-X arrived today. I ordered directly from Ottocast, arrived in 3 days to Dubai (Fedex delivery). Read the instructions, plugged it in and it started up straight away and so far working perfectly. Actually better than I expected, very responsive and fully integrates with my car system as though it is factory installed.

So far very happy.
The following users liked this post:
911T4ME (08-27-2022)
Old 12-31-2022, 05:46 PM
TimboCarrera
Racer

Default Ottocast

Update on the ottocast. It has worked great.
I broke my own rules so if anyone has problems
try this before updating or fretting.
If it's not working simply ensure both Bluetooth
And wifi are connected to the ottocast. After switching
To another vehicle and having issues this resolved all.
What a great cheap alternative and work around for
android users for wireless Android auto. Also seems to work
great for ios wired to wireless.
Old 12-31-2022, 05:57 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TimboCarrera
Update on the ottocast. It has worked great.
I'll have to dust mine off and update the firmware to give it another try. I gave up on it completely after continual frustration with how buggy this thing is (was).
Old 06-13-2023, 02:38 PM
Al Thong
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by koala
I'll have to dust mine off and update the firmware to give it another try. I gave up on it completely after continual frustration with how buggy this thing is (was).
I had to get my friends IPhone to connect to carplay on the PCM to get it going (I felt like carplay needed to start for the first time). then used the iphone to connect to the ottocast using WIFI direct. Once there we went to the browser 192.168.1.101 and updated the firmware. Be patient, it took over 15 minutes to update. Once updated I unplugged the ottocast, replugged back in and then restarted the car. My android phone connected direct after that no problem.
Old 06-13-2023, 04:33 PM
Cur
Instructor

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Been using it for a week now, worked right from the first plug in. Great little unit, highly recommended.

'17 C2S Cab and Pixel 6 Pro.

Quick Reply: Adding Android Auto for $130, OTTOCAST Wireless Android Auto Adapter U2-X