991.2 Uneven ride height?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2022, 01:40 PM
fiebru1119
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 991.2 Uneven ride height?

Hello all,

After reading numerous posts on springs, installation, ride quality etc, I purchased Techart springs for my 991.2 and installed them myself this weekend. I do have experience working on automobiles, ensured the springs were properly seated on the strut rubber caps, and I lowered the C clip to the lowest setting on the rears. Current ride sits at roughly 26-9/16 front and 26-15/16 rear. Tire pressure is consistent L/R. I am actually considering raising the C clip one notch as the rear seems to have a smaller wheel gap than the front right now..

Unfortunately, I did not get baseline measurements to compare, but after installation and some weekend driving it appears there is a slight different in the rear ride heigh - not much, maybe 2-3mm. I have an appointment for an alignment at the dealer in a few weeks so I have given them time to settle.

Am I being overly paranoid? Is a 2-3mm fluctuation in ride height L/R not a concern (e.g. attributable to tire pressure, alignment settings, etc). If this is acceptable, at what point would would there be a concern?

TIA everyone. Pic, because why not (FYI the driver rear is the one that tends to run a bit higher)

The following 4 users liked this post by fiebru1119:
Graufuchs (03-28-2022), myusername (05-12-2022), Newusername (03-30-2022), thesaintusa (03-28-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 02:41 PM
Tommy L Garage
Rennlist Member

Received 560 Likes on 208 Posts

Looks perfect to me.
2-3 mm is nothing. It depends on the ground. Even minor level differences can upset the height. I used to go nuts when I had coilovers in my M3. Every time I adjusted it the ride height was uneven.
Old 03-28-2022, 03:32 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,245 Likes on 628 Posts

That looks sexy. Drive it for a bit and see how it settles, but it doesn’t look like anything is off with your installation.
Old 03-28-2022, 06:01 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

"uneven ride height" would be the rake you're describing here, I presume. If so, good eye, you're just a hair over 3mm lower than stock on the rear in terms of rake. At least, compared to my 991.2 C4S w/SPASM. I have ~1/2" rake there.

The 991 is aerodynamically sensitive (to use porsche's words), so unless you're diving into the dark arts of chassis balance I'd personally try to mimic the stock rake, which means raising the rear 1/8".

Keyboard-warrior theorizing here, I'd expect that the car is compressed slightly in the rear more than the front at speed with the wing deployed and no front canards to speak of. 1/8" less rake than the stock 1/2" gives you considerably less wiggle room before you start achieving positive rake, which I can only assume will be terrible in terms of generated lift. Will it matter for street driving? Probably not. Will it look more correct on the profile? You betcha.
Old 03-29-2022, 02:17 PM
WAM
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Have Techart springs:
- installed the rear c-clip one above the lowest setting.
- this was Techart recommended height
- copies stock rake as noted by the previous poster
- looks great the way you have it as well.
- after allowing my springs to settle, I had an alignment done. After correcting my camber I noted the wheel to fender gap increased. (Rear toe and camber where adjusted to be more positive to reflect an OEM + setup)
Old 03-29-2022, 10:33 PM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 212 Posts

Looks great, really does. How will it be with speed bumps? Do you have FEL?

great color too!
Old 03-29-2022, 11:30 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,108 Likes on 667 Posts

FWIW I would worry more about corner weight balancing than a few mm of ride height difference. (And I bet the variation in body geometry is on the order of a few mm.)
Old 03-30-2022, 09:17 AM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 215 Posts

That’s a proper look.
Old 05-11-2022, 04:26 PM
RP4S911
Pro

Received 584 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by fiebru1119
Hello all,

After reading numerous posts on springs, installation, ride quality etc, I purchased Techart springs for my 991.2 and installed them myself this weekend. I do have experience working on automobiles, ensured the springs were properly seated on the strut rubber caps, and I lowered the C clip to the lowest setting on the rears. Current ride sits at roughly 26-9/16 front and 26-15/16 rear. Tire pressure is consistent L/R. I am actually considering raising the C clip one notch as the rear seems to have a smaller wheel gap than the front right now..

Unfortunately, I did not get baseline measurements to compare, but after installation and some weekend driving it appears there is a slight different in the rear ride heigh - not much, maybe 2-3mm. I have an appointment for an alignment at the dealer in a few weeks so I have given them time to settle.

Am I being overly paranoid? Is a 2-3mm fluctuation in ride height L/R not a concern (e.g. attributable to tire pressure, alignment settings, etc). If this is acceptable, at what point would would there be a concern?

TIA everyone. Pic, because why not (FYI the driver rear is the one that tends to run a bit higher)

I notice this all the time. I used to run coilovers on my Audi's when I was young and would adjust 100 times until the gaps were perfect, on level ground. Front will always have more gap with OEM suspensions and spring upgrades, on purpose. It's so you can go over a bump with the wheel turned still. If the front was the same as your rear you'd be saying goodbye to your perfect fender real quick.

It looks great.
Old 05-12-2022, 06:09 PM
ash_schwin
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 179 Posts

That is such a beautiful stance. Staring at that 991.2 on those wheels and that stance just puts a smile on my face. Can't wait to get my H&R springs installed and start shopping for new wheels!

Quick Reply: 991.2 Uneven ride height?