Sponsored by:

Balancing Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2022, 11:33 PM
Kelsey
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Balancing Wheels

Hi all, Just got new Michelin 4S tires installed … all 4 and after leaving the shop, there was a shimmy in the steering wheel. Went back today and they re-balanced all of the wheels No more shimmy but now, one of the rear wheels had eight 5 gram weights on the outer side (together) of the wheel and another two 5 gram weights on the outer portion of the wheel on the other side. Does that seem like a lot of weight? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-14-2022, 11:39 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Received 630 Likes on 276 Posts

I just did the same thing last week, new set of 4S' all around. My issue was\is with the rear tires. I had to take it back to have them re-balanced and although it got better it's still not as it should be. I have not driven it in a few days so tomorrow I'm going to try to have a different shop balance them, maybe the machine is off?

That does seem like a lot of weight though. Maybe you have a bent rim? Seems like they would notice with that much weight to add though.
Old 03-15-2022, 01:46 AM
stellman
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts

Make sure the shop is doing Tire Match Mounting. It might help.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=17
Old 03-15-2022, 09:53 AM
Sporty
Rennlist Member

Received 443 Likes on 284 Posts

and also make sure they are road force balancing, their machine is recently calibrated and try to get as below the tolerance level / balance spec as that they can
Old 03-15-2022, 09:57 AM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 740 Likes on 455 Posts

might be tire is on incorrectly,,,there should be a yellow and red dot or maybe just one of them,,,,on outside tire,,,,it needs to be opposite of valve stem...red dot always take priority
Old 03-15-2022, 09:59 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 819 Likes on 408 Posts

I've had some bad PS4's before that just never balanced right.

Discount Tire eventually changed out my fronts with a new set and all was well.
The following users liked this post:
stellman (03-15-2022)
Old 03-15-2022, 11:18 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,197 Posts

pump the brakes here, guys.

eight 5 gram weights is 1.4 ounces. that's nothing to be concerned about at all.

most people don't feel imbalances under something like 3/4 oz. if it's <= 1/4oz out of spec, for all intents and purposes it's considered balanced.

for reference, your wheel/tire package is like 50 pounds.

edit - it's also worth noting that, for some reason, they used 5 gram weights. That's one of the smallest wheel weights you can get. had they used appropriately sized weights you'd have fewer.

Last edited by asellus; 03-15-2022 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-15-2022, 11:50 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,391 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelsey
Hi all, Just got new Michelin 4S tires installed … all 4 and after leaving the shop, there was a shimmy in the steering wheel. Went back today and they re-balanced all of the wheels No more shimmy but now, one of the rear wheels had eight 5 gram weights on the outer side (together) of the wheel and another two 5 gram weights on the outer portion of the wheel on the other side. Does that seem like a lot of weight? Thanks in advance.
Originally Posted by barncobob
might be tire is on incorrectly,,,there should be a yellow and red dot or maybe just one of them,,,,on outside tire,,,,it needs to be opposite of valve stem...red dot always take priority
Good info, and often forgotten or misunderstood. To elaborate:

1) Yellow dot signifies the tire's lightest spot, as new tires are never perfectly balanced. The yellow dot should be aligned with the valve stem, to help offset the additional weight of the valve stem and TPM.

2) Red dot signifies the tire's high spot, since this is the spot where the belts connect and tires are never perfectly round, for example. A wheel might also have a mark showing its low spot. Align the red (high spot) with the wheel's low spot. Ying-yang.

3) Yellow & Red Dots- red takes precedents, align with wheel's low spot (or valve stem) and balance for weight.
Old 03-15-2022, 07:32 PM
Kelsey
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi all, Drove the vehicle today for about an hour or so and good news is no more shimmy. Also I called Michelin today. Super nice guy; very helpful. I was told that as long as the weights are less then 3 oz on the inside and outside of the rim you should be ok. Also read the report provided by the installer. They did the following:

Balanced all 4 wheels with smart weight system on and all tires were balanced. Then they set the machine to smartweight off and rebalanced the tires and corrected the wheel weights.

‘thanks
Old 03-19-2022, 05:04 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Good info, and often forgotten or misunderstood. To elaborate:

1) Yellow dot signifies the tire's lightest spot, as new tires are never perfectly balanced. The yellow dot should be aligned with the valve stem, to help offset the additional weight of the valve stem and TPM.
It is odd that the TPM sensor always gets overlooked in these discussions. These devices weigh between 30-40 grams, 1-1.5 ounces, and that added weigh has to be offset somehow.

Quick Reply: Balancing Wheels