Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center Lock Nut Composition

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 02:22 PM
Live Steam
Racer

Received 340 Likes on 138 Posts

So I solved my color dilemma between the wheels and the CL nuts. I had the wheels refinished with powder coat in satin black. I searched around to find a shop that had the capabilities to do this and do it right. Visited one here in Pittsburgh that has done a lot of wheels for PCA members, but unfortunately they didn't have to equipment to make this happen. However I did get an education on exactly what was required to "face" the wheels to reveal the aluminum areas that do not have the black powder coat. A pretty expensive lathe is required to remove the powder coat for those areas.

After returning home, I contacted Augment wheels in Canada to see if they would do the refinishing. Dan the owner was really helpful and offered to do them at cost, but also added that the shipping to and from would greatly increase the cost and it might be more economically sound to part with these and have him make a new set. He also confirmed the process of how the two-tone finish was achieved.

So I was back to searching on the net and low and behold, there was a shop 15 minutes away that displayed wheels they had refinished that were powder coated and also had exposed metal. Not sure why I didn't see their web site the first time, but after a call they confirmed they had the lathe that was required for this. Two days later, the wheels are refinished and in my garage and looking pretty spiffy lol I have to say they did a great job. They really look amazing.

Edit: I guess I should add, the wheels were also clear coat powder coated for protection and appearance.

I also want to add, the World is an amazing place. The owner of this shop, Argi, is an immigrant from Kyrgyzstan and of Mongolian decent. He originally emigrated from there to NYC and then moved here to Pittsburgh to raise his family. A young guy who learned this trade in NY working for a wheel refinished there, decided he wanted to own his own business. So he took the knowledge and invested in himself to make it happen. So kudos to him for sticking with a plan and working to make his dream a reality. I have a lot of respect for those who, though they may come from a difficult place, don't use that as a deterrent or excuse. I am happy to promote his work and his business. So if anyone is in need of this kind of service, PM me for the info. You will be very happy with the results.

Last edited by Live Steam; 02-17-2022 at 11:05 AM. Reason: missing info

Quick Reply: Center Lock Nut Composition