Sponsored by:

Oil leak question

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2022, 08:17 PM
moswissa
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

update-

mechanic loosened the drain plug and torqued it to spec. He recommends replacing the drain plug and crusher washer even though it was replaced last oil change. If that doesnt work, he suspects the oil pan needs to be replaced as there could be a hairline crack around the drain plug theading.
Old 02-02-2022, 08:07 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 304 Posts
Default Ptsd

This thread gave me 964 flashbacks
Old 02-02-2022, 08:17 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 753 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by moswissa
update-

mechanic loosened the drain plug and torqued it to spec. He recommends replacing the drain plug and crusher washer even though it was replaced last oil change. If that doesnt work, he suspects the oil pan needs to be replaced as there could be a hairline crack around the drain plug theading.
If he just loosened the drain plug and retorqued it, he’s essentially reusing the crush washer again. I’d get a new plug and crush washer and do it the right way. Yeah, you’ll need to do another oil change but at that time you can inspect the oil pan to see if it really does have any crack or not. He probably didn’t put in a new crush washer the last time.
Old 02-03-2022, 01:33 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 315 Posts

update-

I'm sorry, but that simply isn't the correct way to address this issue. Also, FWIW, I highly doubt there is a hairline crack near the drain plug.

Don't let $80 in materials be the demise of your beautiful car!
Old 02-03-2022, 06:15 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 837 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by koala
I'm sorry, but that simply isn't the correct way to address this issue.
It sure is. If it doesn't leak after you are good to go.

Why waste $80-90 in oil when a simple tightening will correct the issue.
Old 02-03-2022, 06:44 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
It sure is. If it doesn't leak after you are good to go.

Why waste $80-90 in oil when a simple tightening will correct the issue.
I mean, I get what you're saying. I guess it's just peace of mind. If it were leaking, I don't know if I'd trust myself enough to just re-torque it and assume that was enough. I'm too paranoid
The following users liked this post:
CSK 911 C4S (02-04-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 09:22 AM
Dgags
Racer

Received 223 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by koala
I mean, I get what you're saying. I guess it's just peace of mind. If it were leaking, I don't know if I'd trust myself enough to just re-torque it and assume that was enough. I'm too paranoid
I’d want to know a bit more, too. Drain the oil, clean it up, get a flashlight to make sure all is good, reinstall and add oil. I do regular 300-350 mile drives and would need some certainty about the problem. The cost is equal to a tank of gas…
Old 02-04-2022, 09:44 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,184 Likes on 711 Posts

A year or two ago, I wound up overfilling my oil. I drained about 2-3 cups of oil and replaced the plug but forgot to change the crush washer. No oil leaks or issues.

The next year when I did the oil change, I could not remove the crush washer from the plug. They melded together. Luckily, I had a spare plug.
Old 02-04-2022, 08:31 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 743 Likes on 527 Posts

Sounds like OP is sorted but it’s quite easy to drain this new oil into a clean container. If you don’t have a clean container then put your container in a bag and now your oil will remain clean and not be contaminated with the old oil Schmutz. Then proceed with putting plug back in and torque to spec. The plastic plug on the 991.2 while I totally looked goofy, solves this issue.
Old 03-27-2023, 10:34 PM
moswissa
Instructor

hey guys!

So its been 8 months since my mechanic re-torqued the oil plug which fixed the leak, but today i noticed it started to leak again. Many of you have suggested to replace the plug and crush washer instead of replacing the entire oil pan. My mechanic is suggesting to replacing the oil pan but I am still suspecting that replacing the crush washer and plug will be a better start, rather than dishing out a new oil pan. I dont see many people replacing the oil pan. what do you guys think?
Old 03-27-2023, 11:01 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

If I recall correctly, you already had the problematic drain plug and washer replaced, so if it is leaking again, I think your mechanic might be right - probably a hairline crack in the oil pan.
Old 03-28-2023, 12:52 AM
moswissa
Instructor

no drain plug was just replaced with the routine oil change, after that we noticed the leaked, then he re torqued it to spec which fixed the issue. Now 8 months later its leaking again. Im thinking maybe he didnt remove the old crush washer

Last edited by moswissa; 03-28-2023 at 12:53 AM.
Old 03-28-2023, 09:18 AM
JimEb
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts

Wonder if just a piece of debris between plug and pan.

These crush washers are just a flat piece of aluminum. …at least the ones I bought are. Some crush washers actually have a profile to them. Once torqued they deform and thus need replacing. A flat aluminum washer you’d think would continuously deform under torque until theres nothing left. My Hondas too just have a flat aluminum washer. I always replace despite my skeptic curiosity since you can buy them in bulk for cheap.

I drove my Jeep Wrangler for over a decade (before life forced me to trade it for a minivan) and never once replaced the crush washer.
Old 03-28-2023, 10:57 AM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Received 677 Likes on 339 Posts

The Flat Aluminum Crush Washers need to be replaced each time. They deform when torqued to the proper amount, and when removed retain their deformed shape, which now has a ridge on the outside edge, and cannot be reused. Plus they should not be loosened then retorqued, as the washer could shift position thus placing the ridge under a mating surface creating a leak. They cost less than $0.50 (cents).

I suggest that you drain and refill you oil, using a new crush washer and possibly a new Plug, given your issues. I would ensure that the Drain Hole, Washer & Plug are clean as a previous comment suggested the possibility of debris on the mating surface. Also ensure that it is torqued to the Porsche specification which is high (37 ft-lbs), yet works.

Old 03-28-2023, 11:53 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,222 Likes on 1,014 Posts

hey guys!

So its been 8 months since my mechanic re-torqued the oil plug which fixed the leak, but today i noticed it started to leak again. Many of you have suggested to replace the plug and crush washer instead of replacing the entire oil pan. My mechanic is suggesting to replacing the oil pan but I am still suspecting that replacing the crush washer and plug will be a better start, rather than dishing out a new oil pan. I dont see many people replacing the oil pan. what do you guys think?
Before I replace the oil pan, I'd do the following:

Replace plug and crush washer (and oil of course). Clean the seating surfaces of the all contact areas. Reassemble and torque to spec (both when the engine is cold and hot). Wipe up ALL oil residue and drive it. See what happens. If you still have a leak, replace the oil pan.

Edit: Ok...just read other responses. 981KMAN said exactly what I just typed. Except torquing to spec when the engine is cold and hot.

Last edited by subshooter; 03-28-2023 at 11:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Oil leak question