Sponsored by:

Smoke on 991.1 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 03:18 PM
JLCarrera
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Smoke on 991.1 GTS

Hi all! according to someone who was (trying) to follow me at the track the other day, he noticed my 991.1 GTS emitted some grey-ish smoke when at full throttle (must have been over 6k rpm). He said they were very brief (not continued) when hitting the gas hard at the higher rev range. Wasn't diesel-like, just some sporadic smoke... I want to believe that's normal, but I know your wisdom will help me sleep better today. Any thoughts? Shouldn't there be ANY smoke at all under these circumstances?
PS: he's a sore loser, so it might just be that.
Old 01-30-2022, 04:02 PM
2-Rotor
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Smoke out of the tail pipes or what area of the car?
Old 01-30-2022, 07:47 PM
skru_fase
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I have heard the same re my car (usually under sustained full throttle), also a GTS. I've asked dealers and indy's, none were concerned about it. I have yet to throw a code at the track. My car is white, and I sometimes even get a film of 'smoke' on the bumper cover (especially after a 2 day event).
Old 01-30-2022, 08:23 PM
JLCarrera
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by skru_fase
I have heard the same re my car (usually under sustained full throttle), also a GTS. I've asked dealers and indy's, none were concerned about it. I have yet to throw a code at the track. My car is white, and I sometimes even get a film of 'smoke' on the bumper cover (especially after a 2 day event).
that’s exactly what I have! I have a darker “film” in my bumper, some darker soot that is harder to remove.

all in all, seems it could be normal or maybe related to the x51 Power Kit in the GTS ?

Last edited by JLCarrera; 01-30-2022 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-31-2022, 08:32 PM
skru_fase
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JLCarrera
that’s exactly what I have! I have a darker “film” in my bumper, some darker soot that is harder to remove.

all in all, seems it could be normal or maybe related to the x51 Power Kit in the GTS ?
Yep, that's it. I top up the Carpro Reload which seems to help a bit. Also helps if you clean it off with a soft cloth mid-way through the weekend (or before rain). I have an aerokit, and from what I recall when I looked into this in the forums years ago, there were others with aerokits as well that had the same problem. I wonder if it has something to do with airflow too.

Since having this problem I have put on Soul headers with high-flow cats, then later did a tune, neither of which had any noticeable impact.

Quick Reply: Smoke on 991.1 GTS