Repeat PDCC failures in 991 on race track

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2022, 08:34 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine-91
Thank you both for your input!

I actually had and still have the same question you posted: Is there a problem with PASM besides or in addition to PDCC - not according to 3 different Porsche technicians who serviced the car.

To recap, I participated at a dozen HDPE events (4 different tracks) during the last couple years. I never had an issue at 2 Road America events; I experienced approximately 20 suspension faults at 7 of the other 10 events, all at one of the following 3 tracks: often at Autobahn South (never on North) and Blackhawk, and occasionally at Gingerman.

Each time after the car was interrogated at a Porsche shop, the technician attributed the suspension fault to a PDCC issue secondary to insufficient pressure built-up in the front. After each of the several repair attempts (PDCC front valve block, software update, PDCC hydraulic pump and fluid, both front actuators, and PDCC control unit), the Porsche technician could never replicate a suspension fault on the test bench or during sporty test driving on curvy street roads.

Given the above info, how likely is it that different technicians (one had particular expertise in suspension) would miss diagnosing an issue with PASM (connector, sensor, etc) or a bad shock? Any advise on next steps?
I'm not familiar with the tracks that you drive. Here in FL, I only have a problem with Daytona, and high speeds on the 31 degree banks. Do the tracks that you give you the fault have high banking?
Old 01-26-2022, 08:57 PM
Nine-91
AutoX

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WP0
I'm not familiar with the tracks that you drive. Here in FL, I only have a problem with Daytona, and high speeds on the 31 degree banks. Do the tracks that you give you the fault have high banking?
The 3 tracks do not have high banking. What all 3, particularly 2 of the tracks, have in common are tight right-left turn combinations. Although I have experienced suspension faults at different sections on those tracks, a suspension alert was repeatedly triggered at the same righ-left-turn combination at Blackhawk - sadly too many times that I decided to leave the track event.
Old 02-26-2022, 09:48 PM
Nine-91
AutoX

UPDATE from PCNA
After I reached out one more time to PCNA, the following technical details were shared with me: "Analysis of this vehicle has been reviewed and here is what was found: The PDCC SW is 1100 therefore this vehicle has the latest PDCC SW available. In addition this vehicle has the 991.359.075.03 valve block installed. So all of the latest ‘fixes’ have been applied to this vehicle. Based on internal feedback this is driving style while on a track. Primarily what was found is when taking a corner of the vehicle over the abrupt apex curbing, the sharp change of the PDCC bar translates to a sharp pressure change between the front & rear axle valve block of the PDCC. The result of this sharp change is PDCC pressure build up fault codes 001005 along with 001006 sometimes a PSM brake temp fault 005060 is also set."

For the record, suspension alerts in my car were often triggered in tight right-left turns without apex curbing. In addition, my PCA instructors independently experienced the same PDCC failures when driving my car. Finally, I have never triggered any suspension failures driving a 991 without PDCC.

Having that said, I can only conclude that my 991.1 with PDCC cannot handle a race track due to some unidentified technical issue / design flaw. It is upsetting that PCNA basically tries to blame the PDCC faults on my driving style. I have to say that I have finally lost confidence in Porsche as a brand that I always regarded to live up to higher standards.

Last edited by Nine-91; 02-26-2022 at 09:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
poorshoeless (02-26-2022)
Old 02-26-2022, 10:43 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,035 Likes on 616 Posts

UPDATE from PCNA
After I reached out one more time to PCNA, the following technical details were shared with me: "Analysis of this vehicle has been reviewed and here is what was found: The PDCC SW is 1100 therefore this vehicle has the latest PDCC SW available. In addition this vehicle has the 991.359.075.03 valve block installed. So all of the latest ‘fixes’ have been applied to this vehicle. Based on internal feedback this is driving style while on a track. Primarily what was found is when taking a corner of the vehicle over the abrupt apex curbing, the sharp change of the PDCC bar translates to a sharp pressure change between the front & rear axle valve block of the PDCC. The result of this sharp change is PDCC pressure build up fault codes 001005 along with 001006 sometimes a PSM brake temp fault 005060 is also set."

For the record, suspension alerts in my car were often triggered in tight right-left turns without apex curbing. In addition, my PCA instructors independently experienced the same PDCC failures when driving my car. Finally, I have never triggered any suspension failures driving a 991 without PDCC.

Having that said, I can only conclude that my 991.1 with PDCC cannot handle a race track due to some unidentified technical issue / design flaw. It is upsetting that PCNA basically tries to blame the PDCC faults on my driving style. I have to say that I have finally lost confidence in Porsche as a brand that I always regarded to live up to higher standards.
Or get a GT car with no PDCC. I feel like PDCC is one of those more complex systems for the street/performance crowd vs track centric folks, hence none of the GT cars have that feature and the more road focused cars like Cayennes, turbos etc have it. You probably just drive harder than the typical target demographic for that feature. Sounds more like the wrong product for you. Even for a company like Porsche it's tough to have one product to makes 100% of folks happy in all edge cases.

Last edited by Joec500; 02-26-2022 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-28-2022, 02:39 PM
Staff@WORLD
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 219 Likes on 129 Posts

You could always remove the pddc from the car. It is something that we have done to quite a few cars. It is not a small job so keep that in mind. It is nice to also get rid of the hydraulic pump that is on the engine.

The sway bars are slightly different on the non-pddc set up but you may be able to custom do adjustable and links on the original sway bars.

It should say something that the GT cars do not come with the PDDC option as well.

I purchased a 992 Turbo instead of a turbo S just so I could option the car without PDDC
- Akrapovic - BMC - TechArt - H&R - By Design - AMS - CSF - Kline - NGK - TiLugs - HRE - M Engineering - ID Injectors -
FULL SERVICE INSTALLATION FACILITY - STATE OF THE ART WIND TUNNEL DYNO - ECU TUNING
WORLD-MOTORSPORTS.COM
The following users liked this post:
1MORLAP (09-28-2023)
Old 02-28-2022, 04:28 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Staff@WORLD
You could always remove the pddc from the car. It is something that we have done to quite a few cars. It is not a small job so keep that in mind. It is nice to also get rid of the hydraulic pump that is on the engine.

The sway bars are slightly different on the non-pddc set up but you may be able to custom do adjustable and links on the original sway bars.

It should say something that the GT cars do not come with the PDDC option as well.

I purchased a 992 Turbo instead of a turbo S just so I could option the car without PDDC
I would curious if this could be done. Do you need to do any coding work?
Old 04-03-2022, 02:18 PM
Nine-91
AutoX

UPDATE from PCNA

Follow-up #1 from PCNA
In the beginning of March, I appealed PCNA’s assessment that the PDCC faults are caused by my driving style, specifically when taking a corner over the abrupt apex curbing. I argued that most suspension faults have been triggered at different left / right-turn sections without abrupt apex curbing. PCNA responded that Porsche has reviewed the issue multiple times and is standing behind its conclusion; the matter is considered settled and will not be revisited.

About a week later, I received a call from PCNA informing me that because of the unusual nature of my case an engineer is interested in further diagnosing the PDCC faults. My local dealer was authorized to replace both front actuators (dampers), PDCC hydraulic pump, PDCC front and rear valve block (except the rear valve block, all other components were already replaced in last 2 years). The PDCC components are now at PCNA for further diagnostic testing; data will be send to Porsche AG in Germany to isolate the cause of the issue. I want to remain hopeful…
The following 4 users liked this post by Nine-91:
d-- (04-06-2022), jfischet (04-04-2022), michaelp (04-03-2022), Watson (04-06-2022)
Old 04-05-2022, 01:53 AM
na4life
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 52 Posts

Can PDCC be coded out if you replace the sway bars with static ones (eg; GT3 sway bars or the ones from TPC racing)?
Old 04-06-2022, 03:37 AM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 236 Posts

Follow-up #1 from PCNA
In the beginning of March, I appealed PCNA’s assessment that the PDCC faults are caused by my driving style, specifically when taking a corner over the abrupt apex curbing. I argued that most suspension faults have been triggered at different left / right-turn sections without abrupt apex curbing. PCNA responded that Porsche has reviewed the issue multiple times and is standing behind its conclusion; the matter is considered settled and will not be revisited.

About a week later, I received a call from PCNA informing me that because of the unusual nature of my case an engineer is interested in further diagnosing the PDCC faults. My local dealer was authorized to replace both front actuators (dampers), PDCC hydraulic pump, PDCC front and rear valve block (except the rear valve block, all other components were already replaced in last 2 years). The PDCC components are now at PCNA for further diagnostic testing; data will be send to Porsche AG in Germany to isolate the cause of the issue. I want to remain hopeful…
Good that you were persistent, looking forward to the next update.
Old 04-06-2022, 08:48 PM
d--
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Excellent news!
Old 06-22-2022, 08:30 AM
Nmora991
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Subscribed

Originally Posted by Watson
Good that you were persistent, looking forward to the next update.
im having the same issue on a 2019 GTS.
im showing this to my SA. See if it accelerates the trouble shooting on their end
Old 06-24-2022, 01:42 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 386 Likes on 201 Posts

Not sure if it’s the same, but I got a “PSM suspension fault” on my car after a couple of track sessions, when starting the engine to go out for another session. I turned the ignition off, restarted it, and the fault was not present, and did not reoccur - note that it occurred while the car was stationary, not while on track.

I haven’t seen it since then, but I’ve only done 2 sessions since that occurrence. We’ll see what happens at the next track day…

Car is a 2017 C2S with APR K04.3 GTS turbos + stage 3 tune, AP racing BBK + Ferodo DS2500 pads, DSC sport controller with custom map based on the GT2RS map.
Old 06-25-2022, 06:50 PM
Nine-91
AutoX

Originally Posted by Nmora991
im having the same issue on a 2019 GTS.
im showing this to my SA. See if it accelerates the trouble shooting on their end
Is your 2019 GTS equipped with PDDC?
Old 06-25-2022, 06:55 PM
Nine-91
AutoX

Originally Posted by enzotcat
Not sure if it’s the same, but I got a “PSM suspension fault” on my car after a couple of track sessions, when starting the engine to go out for another session. I turned the ignition off, restarted it, and the fault was not present, and did not reoccur - note that it occurred while the car was stationary, not while on track.

I haven’t seen it since then, but I’ve only done 2 sessions since that occurrence. We’ll see what happens at the next track day…

Car is a 2017 C2S with APR K04.3 GTS turbos + stage 3 tune, AP racing BBK + Ferodo DS2500 pads, DSC sport controller with custom map based on the GT2RS map.
To my knowledge, a suspension fault message can be triggered by an issue with PASM or PDCC. Is your 2017 C2S equipped with PDCC?
Old 06-25-2022, 11:46 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 386 Likes on 201 Posts

To my knowledge, a suspension fault message can be triggered by an issue with PASM or PDCC. Is your 2017 C2S equipped with PDCC?
Yup - SPASM, PDCC, RAS, all the alphabet soup options. We’ll see if it reoccurs on my next track day or not.

Quick Reply: Repeat PDCC failures in 991 on race track