Sponsored by:

Changing Center Locks Video

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 12:03 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 509 Likes on 339 Posts
Default Changing Center Locks Video

"If you are lucky enough to have a GTS, you are lucky enough", some would say. I got lucky and found a 991.2 GTS in December 2021. It's an incredible car.

I was in such a tizzy over finding the car, with center locks of course, I didn't think pf the labor implications associated with removing the center lock wheels to faciitate swapping out wheels, changing my brake pads, changing rotors, bleeding the brakes? These are chores that I would like to have the option to do in my garage. So off to Youtube to see how it's done. The first video I saw presented this approach. The first approach is to place jack stands on the front of the car. You can use the rear jack point to left side then the right side to get the car elevated enough to get your front jack stands in place. Now comes the tough part, the rear jack stands.You need a big jack with a long handle to be placed at a crossmenber located forward of the engine...now recall with the car on front jack stands, the rear will now be at an angle with the front of the car pointing upward....also note that GTS cars with S PASM are 20mm lowerr that a Carrera S. How the hell do you get that jack under there if you have a narrow garage? Beats me...I haven't got the guts to try it. When necessary, I have my wleels changed at my Independent.

But, fear not there is the gight way to do it that minics Porsche's protocols for this chore. In this video,
the presenter does wheel swap, after having all four (4) wheels off the ground. WATCH THE VIDEO and take note of how easy easy it looks. The key to his success, he has portable hydraulic ramps that he drives the car up on, anout $2,000, or so. I have a pretty narrow garage and even if I had the ramps, I would barely have enough room to access eother side of the car...but maybe? I'd also need a 240 VAC connection to power the ramps as I understand it. Be that as it may, the presenter make it look like changing out the Center Locks is a fairly simple process, to do it right. The only kink, is in the process of torqueing the front wheels to something like 450 Ft Lbs, the front wheel(s) may want to turn in response to the torque being applied, and to prevent this you need a helper sitting in the car. Getting wifey to buy into a set of $2,000 ramps, and the cost to have the 240 VAC pulled will be a challenge, considering what I spent acquiring the car.

Next challenge after the hydraulic ramps, you'll need to buy some tools as seen in the video, a 3/4" extended breaker bar, maybe $300, maybe less and the torque wrench, at least $500, probably more. And you'll need to procure all the other tools etc. the presenter illustrates. If you have the inclination and the budget, this appears to be a worthwhile project. You can justify the expense thinking you can now:
  • Swap wheels,
  • Change out your brake pads and rotors as needed.
  • Take advantahe to the height provided by the ramps to clean the rocker panels, gravel guards and wheel wells.
Deep down in my dark heart, if it were easy to do and affordable, I'd consider swapping out the center locks for five (5) lugs. But that's just me; I am essentiall lazy. FLASH, my Independent, Vollig Autowerkes in San Diego will change out my Center Locks for $3,500....now let's see, what story can I cook up to justify this expense? In addition, I "need" a DSC VS Controller too, now we are up to abut $5,000, This will require a really good story, really really good!!!!

Last edited by Martin S.; 01-10-2022 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-10-2022, 03:06 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,141 Likes on 684 Posts

After you have done it 2-3 times, it REALLY IS that easy. Buy a Quickjack for about $1600, tools and torque wrench will be another $800 maybe.

First time is the hardest. Second time you may still be a little timid. After that, easy peasy.
The following 2 users liked this post by Porsche_nuts:
AKKutz (01-11-2022), LWG (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 03:23 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Changine the Cener Locks

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
After you have done it 2-3 times, it REALLY IS that easy. Buy a Quickjack for about $1600, tools and torque wrench will be another $800 maybe.

First time is the hardest. Second time you may still be a little timid. After that, easy peasy.
Thanks for the assurances....the video did make it look easy, spending close to $3,000 for Quickjack and misc. tools is a price to pay. I may just change them out for $3,500...still on the fence here.
Old 01-10-2022, 03:54 PM
Southbranch
Racer

Received 226 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Thanks for the assurances....the video did make it look easy, spending close to $3,000 for Quickjack and misc. tools is a price to pay. I may just change them out for $3,500...still on the fence here.
But if you change the centerlocks for 5 lug hubs aren't you also going to need a new set of wheels, and maybe some nice new tires to go with them? Add another few thousand $$ to the price.
Old 01-10-2022, 04:07 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 234 Posts

It’s a personal preference of course but I would never buy a 991 GTS without centerlocks wheels - if I were to buy a Turbo, it would have to have centerlocks wheels. I am with you with letting the dealer or a shop remove the wheels for you if you don’t want the hassle to buy the tools.
Old 01-10-2022, 04:07 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Southbranch
But if you change the centerlocks for 5 lug hubs aren't you also going to need a new set of wheels, and maybe some nice new tires to go with them? Add another few thousand $$ to the price.
I have an extra set of 19" O.Z. Center Locks I'll be a selling. I should be able to get decent money for them, maybe, hopefully. As well as having two (2) sets of new tToto RR rack tires..so things wond be all that bad.
Old 01-10-2022, 04:14 PM
TRM
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

A little confused...as I've seen this video a bunch of times and he doesn't use "portable hydraulic ramps" as you mention. He's using a low profile race jack and jack stands. Could you have linked the wrong video?
Old 01-10-2022, 04:48 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Martin S.

Quickjacks are not $3,000. The most expensive is less than $2,000. Quickjacks are worth every penny because I have a very small and narrow garage. I do not have room to pump that long handle on a regular jack.

https://www.quickjack.com/

Old 01-10-2022, 06:02 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRM
A little confused...as I've seen this video a bunch of times and he doesn't use "portable hydraulic ramps" as you mention. He's using a low profile race jack and jack stands. Could you have linked the wrong video?
Mea Culpa!!!The point of my post, removing and replacing Center Lock wheels is far more complicated that the 5 lug system. It also requtres an investment in mono-purpose tools. If you buy Quickjack and the breaker bar and torque wrench, you'll be spending at least $3,000. Re. difficulty, I am certain after you have done it a few times, it will indeed become "easy peasy."

I did confused the videos...my excuse, it was early....be that as it may, I continue to hear the "correct " method to prep the car to have all four(4) wheels removed, for whatever reason, is to drive the car up on. a Qiickjack type of the device allowing for all four (4) wheel to be off the ground and no floor jack intervention required. As to the price of a Quick Jack, see https://www.quickjack.com/?gclid=Cjw...hoCeSoQAvD_BwE They have many models top chose from..and it seems they have many happy customers.

Old 01-10-2022, 06:06 PM
LWG
Burning Brakes

Received 635 Likes on 234 Posts

Some make center locks look like the devil. After you get the special torque wrench the process is not much different than 5 lug. I do mine often and while I have a lift, I have swapped wheels on the ground with a jack too, nothing complicated about it.
Old 01-10-2022, 06:08 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

I'll just quit bitching....thanks for your input...
Old 01-10-2022, 06:22 PM
marinb
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

I was afraid of it at first too. But honestly it's super easy. I've taking mine off/on many times now.

The only thing that makes it worse than 5 lug is the grey-paste is annoying to deal with.
Old 01-10-2022, 06:39 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by marinb
I was afraid of it at first too. But honestly it's super easy. I've taking mine off/on many times now.

The only thing that makes it worse than 5 lug is the grey-paste is annoying to deal with.
Spot on. That paste is the devil's work. It gets on everything and is a pain to get off!
Old 01-10-2022, 07:10 PM
Live Steam
Racer

Received 336 Likes on 138 Posts

Would it be an imposition to supply some way to download that document you received? It would be of great help to others including myself.
Old 01-11-2022, 08:19 AM
AKKutz
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I had Quickjacks prior, C7, so lucky there. I did a ton of research and bought a torque multiplier from Amazon. worked like a charm. Really no big deal. I spent more time on taking the center lock apart and cleaning than on lifting the car and removing wheels and install...

Quick Reply: Changing Center Locks Video