Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member 991.1 - saying hi & first upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2021 | 06:31 PM
jabiqq
6th Gear

Default New member 991.1 - saying hi & first upgrades

Hi everyone, just wanted to say hi as a new member. I recently purchased a left hand drive 991.1 in the UK as I'm planning to move to continental Europe, been watching the forum for a while. The car I got is 2015 C2 in sapphire blue, with PDK and just 21,000 miles. I'm currently selling my MX-5 ND in racing orange, which has been great fun, but has the steering wheel on the wrong side.. I bought the car privately a few weeks ago, but my opted to move my insurance to the new car only from 1. January, so haven't been able to use it yet. I'm really looking forward to start my Porsche experience, now just a few days left.

The previous owner left kept the car in stock form, I decided to do a few mods to get me up and running. Firstly a full 6-year service, with a Top Gear valved exhaust fitted by a local indy (the car is non-PSE and was definitely lacking in the sound department, for my taste); I retrofitted Joyeauto AA/Carplay and a dashcam, currently waiting for front grille wire mesh kit to arrive. New tyres (decided to go for Falken FK510) with 4 wheel alignment booked for next weekend, plus detailing with ceramic coating booked for February. I'm planning to do some diy noise insulation later on (maybe mess with the sound symposer too; I like exhaust sound, but not necessairly tire noise or sound tube idea). I must say I liked the base dual tip oval exhaust, as it's quite understated and quad exhaust is a bit more bad ***, but I can certainly live with that.

I previously had a slightly modded (320bhp and custom exhaust) Audi TT MK3 with DSG, which was super planted and had a nice turbo kick. Mazda was much slower, but definitely more engaging and a better sports car, with a high revving NA motor and very tail happy. I'm expecting Porsche to be a bit of blend the two. From the test drive I had, I found the 991 engine-in-the-rear dynamics very appealing. A couple of obligatory pictures below.

The following 11 users liked this post by jabiqq:
CrownCityBoy (01-01-2022), Guards_Red_991 (01-01-2022), jesm (12-31-2021), jfischet (12-29-2021), Live Steam (12-31-2021), Martin S. (01-01-2022), Pb Pedis (12-29-2021), polobai (12-29-2021), sasilverbullet (01-02-2022), spyderbret (12-29-2021), WEM 911 C4S (12-29-2021) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-29-2021 | 02:05 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

congrats and welcome.

love the blue 911s!
Old 12-29-2021 | 03:09 PM
iloveporsche
AutoX

Congratulations on the recent acquisition, looks stunning!

Question: how are you finding the Falken tyres so far? I'm planning to change tyres soon and have heard that whilst not PS4s, they're great value for money.
Old 12-29-2021 | 05:38 PM
jabiqq
6th Gear

Thanks. Falkens are not on the car yet, but I will update the thread once I do some miles with them on. They were quite a bargain, I found that the chain that sells them is actually owned by Falken. They have very low noise rating and favourable reviews for a mid range tyre. There is not much choice when trying keep the same model of tyre on all 4 corners and with proper load ratings. Michelins are surely superior, but for daily/spirited road driving, I'm not convinced they are worth 40% premium. The current factory fitted Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2 lasted pretty well, still have a bit of thread left after 21,000 miles, but are getting old.

A few early days observations, what surprised me: plus for the weighty steering, best electric one I tried so far; also Xenons are very decent (compared to LEDs); I like PASM and SC more than I thought I would; disappointment - slightly long/spongy action of paddle shifters (but maybe I'm spoiled by high end sim racing gear); harsh upshifts in Sport Plus seem a bit unnecessary/programmed but I understand they shouldn't harm PDK even when used regularly?
Old 12-31-2021 | 11:49 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jabiqq
harsh upshifts in Sport Plus seem a bit unnecessary/programmed but I understand they shouldn't harm PDK even when used regularly?
In the states we got a "Emissions updated programing" for Sport +/PDK cars and it took quite a bit of the harshness out of the shifts when placed in the sport + auto mode.

I actually find it fun now to drive in sport +

BTW what are the decals on your headlights?
Old 12-31-2021 | 02:45 PM
Live Steam
Racer

Congrats on the new ride! Which radiator screens are you going with? I just did the install of the Rennline screens on my '16 GTS. Requires removing the bumper cover and a little modification to the supplied screens, which requires a little ingenuity as well. If you're going with the Rennline screens, I'd suggest purchasing different screws as the supplied screws, though they would work, are not black, have a rather large head and are too stout for the application. I used small black sheetmetal screws and they worked very well. Good luck with your car and mods!
Old 12-31-2021 | 07:05 PM
d--
Instructor

It's a beautiful car and I love the mods you are making to it. Are you planning on saving the parts you take off in case the next owner wants to return to stock form?
Old 12-31-2021 | 07:48 PM
jabiqq
6th Gear

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
In the states we got a "Emissions updated programing" for Sport +/PDK cars and it took quite a bit of the harshness out of the shifts when placed in the sport + auto mode.

I actually find it fun now to drive in sport +

BTW what are the decals on your headlights?
Interesting about the recall/TCU reprogramming. Do you find the auto shifting point in Sport / Sport + remain where they were before? I will probably reserve Sport + for manual shifting only at slightly lower rpms, it should help a bit.

Headlight decals - that's a good question. The car originates from Russia, I assumed the stickers were probably some legal notice for Russian market, they are now off the car. Perhaps someone can help. Here's a closeup.

Old 12-31-2021 | 08:09 PM
jabiqq
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Live Steam
Congrats on the new ride! Which radiator screens are you going with? I just did the install of the Rennline screens on my '16 GTS. Requires removing the bumper cover and a little modification to the supplied screens, which requires a little ingenuity as well. If you're going with the Rennline screens, I'd suggest purchasing different screws as the supplied screws, though they would work, are not black, have a rather large head and are too stout for the application. I used small black sheetmetal screws and they worked very well. Good luck with your car and mods!
Thanks. I decided to go with RGS grilles, they are easily available in the UK and quite a lot cheaper than Zunsport.

Originally Posted by d--
It's a beautiful car and I love the mods you are making to it. Are you planning on saving the parts you take off in case the next owner wants to return to stock form?
Definitely keeping the old parts. I'm selling my old Mazda now and have so much stuff to go with it, that whoever buys it, will need to either come alone or have another car for extra bits & pieces.

The car has a full agate grey leather interior, I had the rear bench restored to its former glory (marks from using a child seat) plus cruise control retrofit. A two tone interior would have been my perfect spec, but agate grey looks pretty classy. More interesting than standard black.

In terms of future mods, I will consider a light tint for the rear plus two quarter windows.

Old 01-01-2022 | 06:10 AM
omegaSMP300
Advanced

Congrats and welcome. Shades of blue look so good on the 911. Enjoy!
Old 01-01-2022 | 11:16 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Interesting about the recall/TCU reprogramming. Do you find the auto shifting point in Sport / Sport + remain where they were before? I will probably reserve Sport + for manual shifting only at slightly lower rpms, it should help a bit.
It only reprogrammed Sport +. It will still hold a gear longer then Sport but if you are just driving mildly aggressive it won't redline every shift.

For me usually when I was in sport + I would have to change to manual shift or sport when going through a small town when cruising the back roads because of the shift points....... this reprograming solves that issue so I can just stay in auto mode.

Owners that track their cars might have a different take on the reprograming.
Old 01-01-2022 | 05:43 PM
summit3000
7th Gear

Headlight decals - that's a good question. The car originates from Russia, I assumed the stickers were probably some legal notice for Russian market, they are now off the car. Perhaps someone can help. Here's a closeup.

The decal says “headlights are secured” - meant as a deterrent to thieves. A bit weird in this case because I haven’t heard of them being easy to remove from the 911s? It’s usually the Cayennes that are targeted for headlight theft.

Quick Reply: New member 991.1 - saying hi & first upgrades