Sponsored by:

991.1 Cobb Accessport Tune, ECU ROM not recognized

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2021 | 01:08 PM
Headhunter.m3
Track Day

Default 991.1 Cobb Accessport Tune, ECU ROM not recognized

Hoping someone can give me advice help?

I have a 2012 991.1 carrera. I bought an accessport for my car but the accessport says it does not support my vehicle and has an unknown ROM revision. I contacted Cobb and they said I need an ECU update on my 991.1 for the accessport to work with my 911. So I downloaded the updated 3.43 PCM software but the accessport still does not connect. Cobb says that I need an ECU update not a PCM update as my 991.1 is a pre-production model and needs an ecu update. They said the update can only come from a PIWIS. I have called multuple dealerships and none of them know what Cobb is talking about as far as an ECU update. They said that is not something they do? I don't really know where to go from here. Seems like Cobb is not understanding my issue properly? Has anyone ever needed an ECU/ROM update on their 911.1?
Old 12-21-2021 | 01:22 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

@Headhunter.m3 the ECU and PCM are completely separate things, as I'm sure you've found out!

If you're plugging in your accessport and it's yelling about not knowing what's on the ECU, then either you already have a tune that presents as nonstandard header/signature/title/whatever, or the ECU is indeed somehow running a preproduction flash (or, more likely, just a version COBB doesn't acknowledge as existing).

Your dealership should be able to update your car, this isn't an unheard of thing. Hell, look at the sport chrono debacle, though that was probably TCM and not ECU. Anyhow, just ask your dealer to perform any available software updates for your car, and that you are specifically looking for any ECU related updates. Not worth mentioning "cobb told me ..." to your dealer.
Old 12-21-2021 | 01:26 PM
Headhunter.m3
Track Day

Thank you very much. this is great to hear!! This is basically what Cobb told me. My local dealership is not helping me at all!! Any idea why they wont do an ecu update?? Found an out of state deaIer that is willing to help. Is it possible to take the ECU out of the car to get it updated? I am wondering if there is already a tune on the car. I am the second owner, bought it from a porsche dealer, go figure. Cobb said it is a pre-production software, very early. mine is a 2012 and is a 7 speed manual.
Old 12-21-2021 | 02:11 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hopefully it doesn't require a new ECU.

Any dealership selling a german car newer than 2004 should be very, very intimately aware of "software updates" for modules on the car. I'm honestly shocked that you've managed to find multiple dealers that are telling you that they can't/don't do software updates. How did you phrase the question?
Old 12-21-2021 | 02:15 PM
Headhunter.m3
Track Day

Yes, I am hoping I don't need a new ECU either. Weird that mine is "pre-production" according to Cobb...

I just found one dealer that told me to email them what COBB is asking for so we will see where that goes and I also just found a local Porsche Independent shop that says they have the latest software and a PIWIS and can do the ecu update themselves as well as dyno testing if I need it. We will see where these two go...

AS far as all the dealers, I think 5 different dealers now, including porsche in atlanta all just kind of put me off and have said a number of things like we can't do the update or to contact porsche north america or we don't carry the software. Even suncoast was not helpful. All I said was can you do a software update or an ECU update on my 991.1? I even said I am willing to pay for it. My local dealer, go figure, was the worst. Spoke directly to the service manager and he just said plainly that they cannot do the update. COVID BRAIN???? lol

Really appreciate your help. I have basically felt like an idiot/crazy person since I have tried to install this accessport.

Last edited by Headhunter.m3; 12-21-2021 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-21-2021 | 02:19 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Remarkable. Dealerships around here run software updates on any car coming in for regular scheduled maintenance, so this is world-shattering to me, lol

Sounds like you have an indy willing to do it though, so I'd take them up on it. Crazy that they have an active calls-home PIWIS, that's pretty rare.
Old 12-21-2021 | 02:26 PM
Headhunter.m3
Track Day

Right?? Yeah I actually found 2 shops that both have a PIWIS near me. Found them on Cobb's dealer locator site. One of them though said that they don't pay the "subscription" to porsche or whomever for the updates so they apologetically could not do the update but they were awesome as they explained in detail what I needed and how to fix my issue, texted me back, etc. All the dealers I have called act like I am crazy, I hate that crap. It's like dude, this is a 911, it's not like it's a 10 year old WRX or something. Just very strange. Maybe they are all very busy and just not understanding me? I don't know, I don't get it...hopefully it's not something they know that I don't about my ecu, like the "pre-production" cobb is saying.. Rant over..

Hopefully this independent can do the update, they have not 100% confirmed yet that they can but so far it seems promising. They said they can help. Will keep you updated!

Last edited by Headhunter.m3; 12-21-2021 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-21-2021 | 02:43 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

First of all never mention you are using a COBB, the service department at any dealership does not want to deal with that stuff. If you are due for an oil change maybe bite the bullet and take your car to the dealer for an oil change, they will almost always plug in the PIWIS to see if there are updates that needed to be done and perform them. You can also request them when dropped off. Most service advisors you get on the phone are clueless about this stuff from my experience. Also since your car is a super early build the cobb just might not have your particular ROM file setup.

Good Luck.

Old 12-21-2021 | 03:01 PM
Headhunter.m3
Track Day

Cobb kind of said the same thing you said too, take it in for something else and ask for an ECU update. My local dealer is 350 bucks for an oil change... lol. I mean whatever, I can bite the bullet. I am more of a BMW guy with M cars and getting a software update is so easy at the dealer, this fancy footwork I have to do with Porsche is new to me. Also, Just found out the independent shop cannot do the update. Hopefully I can get closer!
Old 12-21-2021 | 03:48 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Headhunter.m3
Cobb kind of said the same thing you said too, take it in for something else and ask for an ECU update. My local dealer is 350 bucks for an oil change... lol. I mean whatever, I can bite the bullet. I am more of a BMW guy with M cars and getting a software update is so easy at the dealer, this fancy footwork I have to do with Porsche is new to me. Also, Just found out the independent shop cannot do the update. Hopefully I can get closer!
Most smaller independent shops will have hacked PIWIS, as the official porsche one is very expensive with huge monthly fees.

Old 12-21-2021 | 05:52 PM
Headhunter.m3
Track Day

Default Waiting

Still waiting to hear back from a few dealers.

All the independant shops said they can't do it.
Old 12-22-2021 | 08:21 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Default Have independent

With pwis do it.
Old 12-22-2021 | 10:09 AM
Headhunter.m3
Track Day

Default Bingo

Just had a dealer say would do it for 300. 800 miles away though. Lol.
Old 12-22-2021 | 10:17 AM
Headhunter.m3
Track Day

Default Question

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
With pwis do it.
Thats what i was hoping but every Indy I have called with a PIWIS says they cant or are unwilling. Strange.
Old 12-22-2021 | 10:53 AM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Return the Cobb as its not really going to make a big enough difference for the hoops you need to jump through

Quick Reply: 991.1 Cobb Accessport Tune, ECU ROM not recognized