Sponsored by:

991.1 Ducktail installation question

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2021 | 11:46 AM
zavodnik1
Intermediate

Default 991.1 Ducktail installation question

Hi,
I was waiting and waiting for Suncoast to get back in stock the Ducktail spoiler, but without success. It's still on back order from Germany. Then I pulled the trigger and bought one from Vivid racing, It's NR product: https://www.vividracing.com/-p-150766760.html. This Ducktail has different mounting approach than the one from Suncoast. This one is installed directly on the pistons that elevate the spoiler. Which means that I still need active spoiler button at my center console to be able to raise the Ducktail when I need need access for engine compartment service. The issue is that whole Ducktail will raise up at 75mph. My question is: do you know if dealer is able to reprogram the spoiler that it will not raise up at any speed, only when I manually press the center console button for service access only.

Thanks

The following users liked this post:
Dean991.1 (03-14-2024)
Old 12-19-2021 | 12:46 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Aha - I've also been waiting desperately for Suncoast to have the OEM ducktail in stock. Apparently, Porsche themselves are facing issues in getting this manufactured from OE suppliers.
Now I'm also considering similar spoilers, albeit from different companies - all of them have a similar mounting approach.
I spoke with a rep from NR Auto, but they weren't able to give me pictures of an example of describe how to mount it except "a body shop should be able to figure it out"!

Thanks for your post with pictures - I now have more clarity on how the NR Auto spoiler mounts.
I suppose you mount a "base undertray" on the pistons, then bolt the "top spoiler" onto this undertray, correct?

I don't know if there's a way to program the car to a "fixed wing" and also have the ability to raise/lower the spoiler via console buttons.
I'm basing this on the empirical observation in trying to raise my spoiler using a Foxwell NT530 - and failing
My car had a Techart Type II and after removing the top spoiler I noticed that the OEM undertray and the spoiler motor were all intact.
My console buttons were updated to one that doesn't have the spoiler control - so I had to use the Foxwell module.

Anyway, if/when I get such a spoiler, my plan is to retain the spoiler raising functionality for when I need to remove the rear bumper (air filter changes, exhaust work etc)
I plan on tapping into the spoiler motor's power line and add a switch to it that's accessible in the main section of the engine bay.
That way I can choose when to allow the spoiler to go up. Of course this might result in a spoiler error when going 70/75 mph - but that's ok.
NJ991 (12-19-2021)
Old 12-19-2021 | 01:17 PM
zavodnik1
Intermediate

I suppose you mount a "base undertray" on the pistons, then bolt the "top spoiler" onto this undertray, correct? -> yes.. Mount the undertray to the pistons, then mount the ducktail to the undertray from beneath the undertray -> silver bolts. That's why the spoiler ducktail must raise up and down for serviceability.

I just need to know if Porsche dealership will be able to tweak the programming to disable raising pistons automatically, Only by manual override by console button.
Dean991.1 (03-14-2024)
Old 12-19-2021 | 03:43 PM
Explorer16
Instructor

It would be great if someone can manufacture a one-piece unit incorporating the engine lid with the ducktail.
Old 12-19-2021 | 07:22 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Explorer16
It would be great if someone can manufacture a one-piece unit incorporating the engine lid with the ducktail.
I'm sure they can, but it will be highly cost prohibitive when the OEM option from Suncoast is only slightly expensive than the aftermarket options.
Here's an example => https://www.topendmotorsports.com/po...-frp-14915.php

A good number of the FRP shops needs to get hold of a GT3 spoiler to even mimic a single piece decklid.
Also, practically making a mold for the decklid and spoiler when they're 2 pieces is going to be difficult.
For these two reasons, I don't think there might be viable options for a single piece ducktail.
Old 01-14-2022 | 06:05 PM
Andy515
Racer

Originally Posted by zavodnik1
Hi,
I was waiting and waiting for Suncoast to get back in stock the Ducktail spoiler, but without success. It's still on back order from Germany. Then I pulled the trigger and bought one from Vivid racing, It's NR product: https://www.vividracing.com/-p-150766760.html. This Ducktail has different mounting approach than the one from Suncoast. This one is installed directly on the pistons that elevate the spoiler. Which means that I still need active spoiler button at my center console to be able to raise the Ducktail when I need need access for engine compartment service. The issue is that whole Ducktail will raise up at 75mph. My question is: do you know if dealer is able to reprogram the spoiler that it will not raise up at any speed, only when I manually press the center console button for service access only.

Thanks

curious if you ever found out if Porsche could disable the spoiler from auto deploying but still use the button to raise it? Also, how was the fitment and do you have a photo of the final product by chance?
Old 01-14-2022 | 07:29 PM
zavodnik1
Intermediate

Update: I have called 3 Porsche dealerships near me. They even don't have time or they told me that I need to leave my car there for at lest one day. They will check what could be done, and they will charge me $250 per hour. Hell, NO! Then I have called a few local independent shops which are able to work on Porche's. One of them pointed me to guy who is some kind of programming/calibration geek who should be able to do it. He is coming next week. Let's see.
Old 01-14-2022 | 07:45 PM
edirtaynine
Rennlist Member

ive never heard anyone being able to disable the auto function but still retain the manual button control. if someone could do that, it would definitely be awesome to have that option.
Old 01-14-2022 | 10:10 PM
Viper1000
Rennlist Member

What is the quality like of the NR item? I ordered the front lower spoiler from Vivid for $12xx and I'm hoping the quality is there from a fit and finish perspective........I should have it in the next few weeks but wondering wha you felt about the overall quality of the ducktail?
Old 01-15-2022 | 05:14 PM
zavodnik1
Intermediate

The overall quality looks pretty good. I had to do a small trimming, but not a big deal at all. I will paint it after the active spoiler re-programming will be done.
Old 01-15-2022 | 05:35 PM
Andy515
Racer

The overall quality looks pretty good. I had to do a small trimming, but not a big deal at all. I will paint it after the active spoiler re-programming will be done.
I read somewhere but not sure if it is possible that if you change the deployment speed to something really high like 150mph it would solve the problem. Spoiler won’t go up unless you go crazy fast but still maintain button functionality for service. I plan on checking with my Indy Monday to see if they have a solution…
Old 01-15-2022 | 07:20 PM
zavodnik1
Intermediate

That's exactly what I've been thinking. Let's see what the computer geek will be able to do :-) For 3rd brake light I'm planning to have both on (one at the engine lid and one at the ducktail) - again pending on the programmer guy what he will be able to do. He is planning to come over on Wednesday evening. Stay tuned :-)
Dean991.1 (03-14-2024)
Old 01-15-2022 | 11:15 PM
Live Steam
Racer

Does the spoiler have a separate fuse or dedicated wiring with a connection that can be disconnected? I also participate on the 718 forum and guys there have disabled the spoiler when installing a GT4 wing. Has to be a fix for this.

Last edited by Live Steam; 01-15-2022 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-19-2022 | 07:11 PM
zavodnik1
Intermediate

Update: Programming wizard just completed the mission. We have changed the spoiler lift up setting from 75mph to max, which is 250 kph. Test drove it and it works. Brought the car up to 100 mph and spoiler stays down. Also the button at the center console still works. So I can raise and close the spoiler manually. Only issue is that he was not able to figure out how to make brake light in ducktail active. Only option I have is to disconnect the brake light at engine lid, create some jumper wiring and hook it up to ducktail brake light. Shouldn't be that hard. At the end he charged me $80. I'm quite happy. Next would be to get the ducktail painted and call it a day :-)
edirtaynine (01-20-2022)
Old 01-19-2022 | 08:21 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Update: Programming wizard just completed the mission. We have changed the spoiler lift up setting from 75mph to max, which is 250 kph. Test drove it and it works. Brought the car up to 100 mph and spoiler stays down. Also the button at the center console still works. So I can raise and close the spoiler manually. Only issue is that he was not able to figure out how to make brake light in ducktail active. Only option I have is to disconnect the brake light at engine lid, create some jumper wiring and hook it up to ducktail brake light. Shouldn't be that hard. At the end he charged me $80. I'm quite happy. Next would be to get the ducktail painted and call it a day :-)
woohoo! Good for you - best of both worlds My car unfortunately had the console buttons changed so it doesn't even have the spoiler button. If I too got this done for my car, then maybe I can use a Foxwell to raise/lower when I need to take off the bumper etc

Quick Reply: 991.1 Ducktail installation question