Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbos, headers, Cats, muffler plus tune.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 03:33 PM
NI3
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Turbos, headers, Cats, muffler plus tune.

Looking to do a major upgrade this coming spring on a base 991.2. Looking for suggestions. Do not want something that will throw codes or fail at PA emissions.

Turbos:
Headers:
Cats:
Muffler:
Tune:

Thanks
Old 12-13-2021, 03:43 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,083 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Turbos you have a few options. GTS turbos are a nice upgrade, otherwise the Tial M800s or something if you want huge power.
Headers I'd lean towards Soul, simple because of the (probably nonissue of) ground clearance.
Cats, get sport cats instead of a cat delete. Better for the environment and less likely to throw codes.
Muffler there's a lot to be gained in terms of sound from a base, Soul is kind of the de facto standard here with their resonated setup.
Tune I'd go with APR, despite the inability to flash at home (yet/ever). Alternatives are a COBB AccessPort/Pro tune(?), Softronic, etc. General consensus is all the OTS tunes are pretty much the same.

Do note that muffler + cats + headers is going to make the car substantially louder. I believe Soul posted a video recently about this in their thread.

HTH
The following 2 users liked this post by asellus:
NI3 (12-13-2021), Soul Performance (12-20-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 03:47 PM
NI3
Racer

Thoughts on Tial m660?
Old 12-13-2021, 03:48 PM
blackcheetah
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 117 Posts

How fast you want to go?
Old 12-13-2021, 03:59 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

IMHO? Completely unnecessary. Caveat -- I don't think there's anything to gain by modifying a 991 for power. At the stock ~400 crank it's more than enough for anything you need to (or legally can) do on US public roads.

I don't think you don't gain anything on a street car other than bragging rights. Your groceries will make it home either way. The stop light 650 feet in front of you is still there, and you would have beaten the Toyota Camry to it on a stock car. The speed limit still exists, so getting there half a second earlier won't have any meaningful impact on your life.
I don't think it's a good idea for a track car unless you're for-fun racing (and can actually handle that power) -- in any actual racing, you will be put into GT/unlimited groups with mods like that, where you will be running against fully prepped race cars. No question who has the advantage, here.
Drag racing I guess you can post better timeslips for.. bragging rights? I don't understand drag racing, honestly.
The following users liked this post:
XLR82XS (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 04:11 PM
NI3
Racer

All good comments thanks
Old 12-13-2021, 04:28 PM
blackcheetah
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
IMHO? Completely unnecessary. Caveat -- I don't think there's anything to gain by modifying a 991 for power. At the stock ~400 crank it's more than enough for anything you need to (or legally can) do on US public roads.

I don't think you don't gain anything on a street car other than bragging rights. Your groceries will make it home either way. The stop light 650 feet in front of you is still there, and you would have beaten the Toyota Camry to it on a stock car. The speed limit still exists, so getting there half a second earlier won't have any meaningful impact on your life.
I don't think it's a good idea for a track car unless you're for-fun racing (and can actually handle that power) -- in any actual racing, you will be put into GT/unlimited groups with mods like that, where you will be running against fully prepped race cars. No question who has the advantage, here.
Drag racing I guess you can post better timeslips for.. bragging rights? I don't understand drag racing, honestly.
Asselus im sorry but you should get a camry and track with it...
The following 2 users liked this post by blackcheetah:
AlexZTuned (12-14-2021), pride355 (12-21-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 05:43 PM
NI3
Racer

Several reasons for the possible mods.
Ready for something a little different, and I enjoy the sounds of a well done modded car. And for a spirited drive in the right conditions.

Far as sound, object is to get more of the turbo spooling sound as well as improved exhaust. But no drone sounds at highway speed.
Old 12-13-2021, 05:55 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 947 Likes on 471 Posts

I'm no expert on mods but have done a LOT of reading on this forum. As of this moment, the only mod I have done of the ones you've listed is the Softronic tune which I think will give you the most bang for your buck of any of the mods you're inquiring about. Basically an instant gain of ~100 HP in a safe and reliable manner. Do a search and you'll find my review as well as many others.

From there, on my todo list are as follows (somewhat in order):
Headers for improvement in sound & marginal power: Vektor or Kline
Sport cats for additional marginal improvement in sound & power: Soul or Vektor
Inlet pipes: Tial
Intercoolers: AMS
Turbos: Tial M660 at which point I'll have to get my Softronic tune revised.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tier1Terrier:
The Ox (12-20-2021), tourenwagen (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 06:01 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blackcheetah
Asselus im sorry but you should get a camry and track with it...
I feel that you've entirely missed the point of my post.

Originally Posted by NI3
Several reasons for the possible mods.
Ready for something a little different, and I enjoy the sounds of a well done modded car. And for a spirited drive in the right conditions.

Far as sound, object is to get more of the turbo spooling sound as well as improved exhaust. But no drone sounds at highway speed.
So, at least with the PSE exhaust (which is little more than a straight pipe), turbo whine is very audible from outside the car, and quite audible from inside. Sport cats (or a cat delete if you hate cats and children) will also make the turbo spool more audible.

That said, if you want to get more spooling sounds, you want to target the intake. Opening that up will make spool a lot more audible.
Old 12-13-2021, 06:02 PM
NI3
Racer

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
I'm no expert on mods but have done a LOT of reading on this forum. As of this moment, the only mod I have done of the ones you've listed is the Softronic tune which I think will give you the most bang for your buck of any of the mods you're inquiring about. Basically an instant gain of ~100 HP in a safe and reliable manner. Do a search and you'll find my review as well as many others.

From there, on my todo list are as follows (somewhat in order):
Headers for improvement in sound & marginal power: Vektor or Kline
Sport cats for additional marginal improvement in sound & power: Soul or Vektor
Inlet pipes: Tial
Intercoolers: AMS
Turbos: Tial M660 at which point I'll have to get my Softronic tune revised.
Thanks mate, i follow you on youtube. keep up the good work!
Tier1Terrier (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 06:11 PM
NI3
Racer

Should add, I did buy and then sold a COBB tune. I wasn't ready for the tune.
Old 12-13-2021, 06:28 PM
jimmyeatsworld
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the following on my 991.2 C2 Base:
Fabspeed Headers
Fabspeed Bypass
Cobb Protune
Drop In Airfilter

Everyone has commented about the turbo whistle, and the pops and crackles are loud in sport mode with PSE open. If you've done any canyon runs in second gear at 6K RPM, taps on the throttle will give you loud pops. People have stated that they can hear the turbo whistle from about 2 blocks away. If this is your cup of tea, then Bypass/sport cats for the whistle and pops. The headers gave my car a nice rumble at idle in sport mode with PSE open.

There are 2 youtube clips of this setup on a white 991.2 somewhere in Asia where he does a pull down the street. That's what inspired me to get this setup.
NI3 (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 09:56 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 456 Likes on 308 Posts

Here's what you need for sound and (some) power: headers, sport cats and high flow air filter. If you have PSE, no need for new muffler. PSE is practically a straight through pipe when open. As for power, a tune is the way to go. As for brands, I'd go with Vektor, BMC and Softronic. There are other brands out there. Some are better than others...your call really. For street driving, these mods are about as far as you want to go. Anything more will affect daily drive ability and/or reliability. Also, all of the above mods will pass PA inspection. A tune may not pass Porsche requirements. Have fun with your car.
Old 12-13-2021, 10:45 PM
Sean Marvil
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Upgrades

Really great thread. Long time lurker, not many posts. I’m in the process of upgrading my 991.2. Started with Brembo GTS-R brake upgrade and sway bars. Suspension and power mods are in the scheming phase.
had this center muffler made for my 4S. I like the quad tips. Should sound nice. Titanium and markedly lighter than the stock muffler.
thank you again for all the great posts and guidance.

The following 6 users liked this post by Sean Marvil:
4 Point 0 (12-14-2021), AlexZTuned (12-14-2021), Speed2k (12-14-2021), The Ox (12-20-2021), thesaintusa (12-13-2021), tourenwagen (12-13-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Turbos, headers, Cats, muffler plus tune.