Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What causes reduced fuel efficiency in Sport or Sport Plus mode vs Normal

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2021, 05:24 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 1,038 Likes on 514 Posts
Default What causes reduced fuel efficiency in Sport or Sport Plus mode vs Normal

What causes such dramatic reduction in fuel efficiency when car is in Sport or Sport Plus Mode (vs Normal Mode) if all other driving behaviors such as RPM & speed are the same? I have noticed that even on long drives at steady speeds in high gears that the fuel efficiency is greatly reduced. I have a 991.2 C2S in manual so assume that gear changes occur at the same RPM in any mode although in reality I tend to drive more spiritedly in Sport/Sport Plus modes.
Old 11-18-2021, 05:28 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

I think part of it is that in Sport and Sport +, there is additional cooling, keeping the engine temps lower, which reduces fuel efficiency. But then again, I am an accountant and not an automotive engineer. ;-)
Old 11-18-2021, 05:34 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 718 Likes on 480 Posts

Hmm. What would you say is "greatly reduced"? Last time I ran a comparison was in fall of 2019. Driving to work in "normal" my average for three tanks was 23.5; five tanks with the rotary dial set to "sport" got me 21.9. I've driven the car in Sport mode pretty much all the time since. A recent road trip up to Tampa and back on I-75 for a dental visit I averaged a respectable 28.7, and I did not exactly leave the handbrake on.

Old 11-18-2021, 05:35 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

A cooler engine is less efficient engine. Sport and Sport+ have a 15c or so lower target temp for the oil and facilitate this by routing the oil or coolant differently through/around the engine.

Sport+ keeps the turbos spooled a bit more. Sport does this by way of a less granular throttle pedal, so that can be mitigated by using cruise control or having a very light touch with your foot.

As mentioned above, air flaps up front are open more often (or always open) in sport/sport+.

Sport, with exhaust valves open, has the whole pops and bangs thing which uses some amount of fuel.

Idle is higher in sport and sport+ which is a not insignificant amount of fuel to idle the car compared to normal mode.

The increased load on the power steering pump for active suspension and engine mount stiffening in sport and sport+ can't be trivial, so that's more engine load.

There are anecdotal claims that the alternator doesn't disengage nearly as often as it does in normal when you're in sport/sport+, which would put a bit more overall load on the engine.
The following users liked this post:
Rich_Jenkins (11-18-2021)
Old 11-18-2021, 06:08 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by asellus

Idle is higher in sport and sport+ which is a not insignificant amount of fuel to idle the car compared to normal mode.
Good post.

Based on how much the "auto stop start" is touted to address fuel efficiency, I would hazard a guess you've identified the key difference between Normal and Sport. I pretty much reflexively turn the dial to Sport every time I start the car, and I've forgotten that there is a noticeable up tick in RPM at idle.
Old 11-19-2021, 07:22 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,553 Likes on 965 Posts

Sport and Sport + mode adjusts fuel/air mixture to run richer for maximum performance. Richer F/A mix also keeps engine at cooler temperature all else being equal. However, it also has less fuel efficiency and greater emissions. Lean F/A mix runs hotter and increases efficiency with less performance and emissions.
Old 11-19-2021, 07:33 AM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,101 Likes on 459 Posts

A 911 is not a car you buy/drive to worry about MPG’s. I could care less if I got 5 mpg in mine. They offer Priuses for people that care about these things.

Just saying…

Edit: no offense intended, sorry - I guess I am feisty today.

Last edited by Schn3ll; 11-19-2021 at 07:36 AM.
DreDilla (03-08-2023)
Old 11-19-2021, 07:46 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,553 Likes on 965 Posts

Originally Posted by Schn3ll
A 911 is not a car you buy/drive to worry about MPG’s. I could care less if I got 5 mpg in mine. They offer Priuses for people that care about these things.

Just saying…

I think everyone on here agrees with you. But, there are many reasons to monitor your fuel efficiency other than price of gas. I monitor mine just like all the other engine values and parameters. If my average MPG takes a drastic change then I suspect I have a possible vacuum or injector leak effecting the fuel air mixture. Owners of direct injected engines should be very sensitive to possible fuel dilution of the engine oil. A bad or leaking injector can thin your oil, wash down your cylinder walls and cause major engine damage if not caught and corrected.
Ginzo (11-21-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 09:16 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Al.Fresco
I think part of it is that in Sport and Sport +, there is additional cooling, keeping the engine temps lower, which reduces fuel efficiency. But then again, I am an accountant and not an automotive engineer. ;-)
I'd bet biggest impact is that Sport and Sport + keeps the rpms higher that "normal" via the engine mappings, across all driving conditions from idle all the way through the gears.

Last edited by chuckbdc; 11-19-2021 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-19-2021, 09:23 AM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 692 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Schn3ll

Just saying…

Couldn't. I'm a bit feisty today as well
Pavegeno928 (11-21-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 09:31 AM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

My guess is the driver is just much heavier on the gas pedal in sport and sport+. At the race track I'm getting about 3 to 4 miles to the gallon.
Martin S. (11-19-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 10:09 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by good2go
My guess is the driver is just much heavier on the gas pedal in sport and sport+. At the race track I'm getting about 3 to 4 miles to the gallon.
Track mileage.....I just know in my 991.1 S/PDK I'll be on fumes after the third twenty (20) minute session of the day....I gas up at the end of the second session...
Old 11-19-2021, 10:46 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Sport and Sport + mode adjusts fuel/air mixture to run richer for maximum performance. Richer F/A mix also keeps engine at cooler temperature all else being equal. However, it also has less fuel efficiency and greater emissions. Lean F/A mix runs hotter and increases efficiency with less performance and emissions.
You actually make more power on a leaner burn, not a richer burn. More oxygen allows the fuel to combust much faster (to a point, this is nuanced).

I also sincerely doubt AFRs are meaningfully different at freeway speeds between the modes, but I haven't measured them. Maybe I'll go out and do that today, unless someone has measurements already handy?
Old 11-19-2021, 10:56 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by good2go
The lowest I've ever recorded in daily use is 13.9. That was a fun afternoon.

To be honest though, I'm not too worried about MPG, as was stated. I do however appreciate the range of the car. A few cars back, I had an E92 M3 with a DINAN tune. The V8 was a hoot to drive, albeit a bit porky. But getting it going above 4,000 rpm, hoo boy. The thing was they put the same gas tank as the regular 3 series, so pretty much every time I looked up I'd need to get gas. If I recall it was typically 180-200 miles. Which was a bit of a pain in the rear.

On the 911, one of the many things that surprised me, coming from a '14 981S, was the overall usability of the car "as a car", including the mpg/range. I routinely see an estimated 400+ miles after a fill up. Using actual miles over actual gallons, since June 2019 my base C2 averages 24.3; not bad I think.
Old 11-19-2021, 09:59 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
A cooler engine is less efficient engine. Sport and Sport+ have a 15c or so lower target temp for the oil and facilitate this by routing the oil or coolant differently through/around the engine.

Sport+ keeps the turbos spooled a bit more. Sport does this by way of a less granular throttle pedal, so that can be mitigated by using cruise control or having a very light touch with your foot.

As mentioned above, air flaps up front are open more often (or always open) in sport/sport+.

Sport, with exhaust valves open, has the whole pops and bangs thing which uses some amount of fuel.

The increased load on the power steering pump for active suspension and engine mount stiffening in sport and sport+ can't be trivial, so that's more engine load.

There are anecdotal claims that the alternator doesn't disengage nearly as often as it does in normal when you're in sport/sport+, which would put a bit more overall load on the engine.
A few observations.

the water temperature is lowered in Sport mode, from about 220 in normal to about 185. Of course, the dumbed down water teperature gauge stays at 194 all the time. It's this reduction of water temperature that lowers the oil temperature, as the oil is cooled via an oil/water heat exchanger.

991s have electric power steering, so there is no power steering pump. Besides, the steering effort doesn't change with the drive modes.

They also don't have active suspension. PASM merely changes damping whihc is accomplished by adjusting valves in the shock absorbers. No incremental engine load.

Same goes for the adjustable engine mounts. Solenoid control.

The biggest change that affects fuel economy is in PDK cars due to a different shift schedule that holds the lower gears longer, generally running at higher rpm.

Quick Reply: What causes reduced fuel efficiency in Sport or Sport Plus mode vs Normal