Sponsored by:

'17 991.2 MPS4S pressure & alignment

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 11:51 AM
Burnt Reynolds
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts
Default '17 991.2 MPS4S pressure & alignment

New mps4s getting mounted Friday - what is a good starting point for aggressively driven twisties commute to/from a downtown area for work? Thinking 30psi front, 34psi rear (cold) to start. I'm in the Willamette Valley, Oregon so lots of dry/wet road conditions this time of year. I'm on the road around 530am when it's quite a bit colder out.

Also, former owner had mentioned some alignment work he had done to try and remedy what was causing his cupped tires (which are still on the car). He couldn't find the alignment sheet showing what was changed and I'm having a hell of time finding oem alignment specs for 2017 C2 online. I want to get it back to oem, then after driving it a while consider making some camber adjustments if I feel it'll benefit me. That said, it's also got a cobb stage 1 ots map and lowered on Techart springs with PASM. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 11-10-2021, 12:19 PM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 188 Posts

Congrats on the car!

I'd suggest going with comfort settings / partial load for your MPS4s.... with that being said, - at this time of the year, you may want to consider Michelin Alpines (esp in the mornings)....

I found this for stock alignment settings, you can confirm with the shop prior to getting work done, but should get the convo started: 991 Alignment

Note its for a 991.1, but will work just fine here... enjoy in good health!
Old 11-10-2021, 01:13 PM
Burnt Reynolds
Advanced

Thanks for the link! Regarding the tire selection, and I realize my 911 is a completely different animal than my previously driven BMW...I went through 2.5 sets of mps4s on that car over a 20 month period and two winter driving seasons. My plan was to start with what I was familiar with and if I didn't like them on the 911 for winter conditions I would get a set of winter wheels with a proper 4 season tire set mounted.

Also, my car is already set for TPMS Comfort settings. The current tires are Nitto NT555 G2's and I'm running 29psi front, 35psi rear (cold) which warm up to about 33/38 which, despite the cupping, is a dramatic improvement over the 31/39 they were inflated to when I bought the car. I still hate these tires. Very noisy. Frankly, while I've been able to push the car somewhat I'm unsure if it's the crappy tires or current alignment or both that's got me thinking twice about my breaking points. IDK. Either way I'm loving this car. My wallet hates this forum though.
Old 11-10-2021, 01:19 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnt Reynolds
New mps4s getting mounted Friday - what is a good starting point for aggressively driven twisties commute to/from a downtown area for work? Thinking 30psi front, 34psi rear (cold) to start. I'm in the Willamette Valley, Oregon so lots of dry/wet road conditions this time of year. I'm on the road around 530am when it's quite a bit colder out.

Also, former owner had mentioned some alignment work he had done to try and remedy what was causing his cupped tires (which are still on the car). He couldn't find the alignment sheet showing what was changed and I'm having a hell of time finding oem alignment specs for 2017 C2 online. I want to get it back to oem, then after driving it a while consider making some camber adjustments if I feel it'll benefit me. That said, it's also got a cobb stage 1 ots map and lowered on Techart springs with PASM. Any help is greatly appreciated!
as the worm turns..
Old 11-10-2021, 01:55 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 718 Likes on 480 Posts

What size tires are on the car? 19 or 20?
Old 11-10-2021, 02:05 PM
Burnt Reynolds
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
What size tires are on the car? 19 or 20?
245/35-20
305/30-20
On this note, anyone know the offsets for these wheels? OEM 20's 8.5x20/11x20.
Old 11-10-2021, 02:14 PM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

Front - 8.5 x 20 ET 49 - 245/35 ZR 20
Rear - 11.5 x 20 ET 76 - 305/30 ZR 20

245/35-20
305/30-20
On this note, anyone know the offsets for these wheels? OEM 20's 8.5x20/11x20.
Old 11-10-2021, 02:18 PM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

If you're car is a daily driver - I'd 100% go with dedicated winter wheels / tires... I've shifted my stock RS Spyders to winter duty (with some spacers 10mm/12mm)... the difference in grip is v significant

Thanks for the link! Regarding the tire selection, and I realize my 911 is a completely different animal than my previously driven BMW...I went through 2.5 sets of mps4s on that car over a 20 month period and two winter driving seasons. My plan was to start with what I was familiar with and if I didn't like them on the 911 for winter conditions I would get a set of winter wheels with a proper 4 season tire set mounted.

Also, my car is already set for TPMS Comfort settings. The current tires are Nitto NT555 G2's and I'm running 29psi front, 35psi rear (cold) which warm up to about 33/38 which, despite the cupping, is a dramatic improvement over the 31/39 they were inflated to when I bought the car. I still hate these tires. Very noisy. Frankly, while I've been able to push the car somewhat I'm unsure if it's the crappy tires or current alignment or both that's got me thinking twice about my breaking points. IDK. Either way I'm loving this car. My wallet hates this forum though.
The following users liked this post:
Rich_Jenkins (11-10-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 02:24 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

245/35-20
305/30-20
Gotcha. Same size as on my '17 C2. I've had a set of MPS4s on the car since Dec '19, that replaced the OEM Pirelli's. Very happy with Michelin's.

Based on my owners manual, "Comfort tire pressure" (up to 165 mph) for a "partly loaded" Carrera with 20" tires is listed as 29F and 31R. "Standard pressure", same conditions, is listed as 31 and 37. Personally I find the ride with 37 in the rear, even on our smooth Florida roads, too jarring for comfort. At the same time, I want some latitude to take off down the freeway at short notice with Mrs. Rich on a weekend. Based on my previous BMW experiences, I would typically +2 psi up for long highway runs. So in the end, I have settled on 31 and 34 as a "middle ground", which to me is neither too hard nor too firm. I am not a track guy, but do like to explore the RPM limit from time to time.

Obviously Sarasota FL is not Eugene, or Salem, or Portland, so your winter temperatures / roads / grip are going to be very different there than here. Especially at 5am. You'll have to factor that in to decide what pressures to run in a summer tire like the MPS4, but that's where I'm at.

Last edited by Rich_Jenkins; 11-10-2021 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-10-2021, 05:42 PM
Sooner
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm also in the PNW (Portland area)... 2018 C4GTS running MPS4S.. This time of year I run 33F 38R cold set @ around 50 deg F. This has served me well as the temps go up and down this time of year. I agree with many who say go with dedicated winter tires, but I have never done that. I have always run the summer Michelins going back to my 993 CS, my 997.2 C4S, and the current car. Just be smart and drive based on conditions. I had to take the 997 out several years ago in the snow, and it performed flawlessly on summer rubber, though I wouldn't make it a regular thing.
Old 11-10-2021, 10:44 PM
Burnt Reynolds
Advanced

Thanks for the input fellas. Not worried about too wintery driving conditions as that's what my diesel pickup is for. Will start at 31/34 psi and adjust from there. Used to ride my sport bikes year round and know my roads well in terms of where gravel resides and needles/leaves turn to grease. Besides, wanted to get these tires now while they were easy to source whereas this spring might be another story. I purchased the N0 Porsche approved mps4s, anyone know the specific difference between these and the standard mps4s like differing compounds or traction zones?
Old 11-10-2021, 11:22 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 556 Likes on 336 Posts

From what has been available via the media, manufacturers work with the tire companies to arrive at the best performance for their specific cars, so we have the N0 tires for Porsche.

The lead engineer for the C8 z06 stated in a Leno video that they spent quite a while tuning the tires with Michelin and that he was back and forth to Europe to consult and test.
Old 11-11-2021, 12:19 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,120 Likes on 1,322 Posts

... I purchased the N0 Porsche approved mps4s, anyone know the specific difference between these and the standard mps4s like differing compounds or traction zones?
the closest thing I've seen to confirmation that there's any actual difference is margin-of-error differences in carcass weight, tread depth, and some guy on youtube saying "they're different, a guy told me, trust me."

I sincerely doubt there is an appreciable difference that can be detected by more than a handful of users on rennlist. I wouldn't worry about it, personally.
Old 11-11-2021, 10:28 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by asellus
the closest thing I've seen to confirmation that there's any actual difference is margin-of-error differences in carcass weight, tread depth, and some guy on youtube saying "they're different, a guy told me, trust me."

I sincerely doubt there is an appreciable difference that can be detected by more than a handful of users on rennlist. I wouldn't worry about it, personally.
Ditto.

Although my OCD compelled me to take my car to the dealer for my N0 MPS4's, I don't think I would worry too much about not getting "Porsche specific" compounds, unless I was demanding absolute alignment to factory specifications for track or other high speed use. (I'm certainly not; I'm just another retired Boomer with a Keyboard.).

Having said that, it was not hard to get them to match tirerack pricing, so might be worth a shot to see if you can get N0 tires.

Last edited by Rich_Jenkins; 11-11-2021 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-11-2021, 11:27 AM
Burnt Reynolds
Advanced

I get that the differences are likely little to nothing, I was simply curious if anyone actually knew what specifically they were. Had I been unable to source the N0 ps4s's I would have happily gone with the standard spec version as I had several times over with my previous car. That said, I am indeed trying to get the car as close factory spec as possible (despite the current mods). My reasoning is that will establish a good baseline of performance & maintenance for my OCD spreadsheet moving forward.

Quick Reply: '17 991.2 MPS4S pressure & alignment