Sponsored by:

Sunroof Wind Deflector Screen Damaged

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2021, 06:01 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 494 Posts
Default Sunroof Wind Deflector Screen Damaged

Anyone fix this DIY? I know I know that’s why you don’t get a sunroof among other reasons. I’m just curious if I’m going to have to replace a more significant part or if there is a simple screen replacement there. Truthfully, this thing seems like it’s made from pantyhose. Seems like they could have or should have used a more durable material. Not too concerned about it but might as well fix it.

Old 10-30-2021, 08:19 PM
Carrera991
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 60 Posts

Joining this question. Mine's starting to show a little of that pantyhose tear.

Old 10-31-2021, 08:16 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 716 Likes on 479 Posts

Did a little digging in the .1 service manual to see if I could extract some information on that item.

Mention is made in procedure "WM 603319 REMOVING AND INSTALLING AIR DEFLECTOR FOR SLIDING ROOF (ALL MODELS)" on page 763. Following this lead, looking up "deflector" on getporscheparts.com located this item:

https://www.getporscheparts.com/oem-...bC1oNi1nYXM%3D

Obviously I don't have any idea how easy this is to DIY the replacement, but the procedure is outlined in the service manual for the .1; one suspects the .2 air deflector can't be too different. Cliff's for the procedure listed in the manual are:

Removal:
1. Remove Air deflector mounting.
1.1 unscrew fastening screw on air deflector bracket
1.2 pull air deflector net out of frame
2. Remove Air deflector
2.1 Press air deflector bracket and air deflector spring together and remove them by pulling them forward.
3. Loosen mounting for air deflector cable
3.1 Tilt air deflector forward and unscrew fastening screw for air deflector cable
4. Remove Air Deflector

Install
1. Fit air deflector springs in air deflector bracket
2. Insert air deflector bracket together with air deflector springs into the frame and tighten (1.5 ft lbs) (note: Coat air deflector piping and insertion groove with soapy water)
3. Fit air deflector piping
3.1 Center the marking on the air deflector net in the groove
3.2 Fit the piping in the groove, starting at the center and moving outwards

4. Install the air deflector cable
4.1 tighten screw (0.5 ft lbs)

The following 3 users liked this post by Rich_Jenkins:
Carrera991 (10-31-2021), koala (11-01-2021), Tier1Terrier (10-31-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 10:37 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 760 Likes on 540 Posts

Seems easy enough to DIY replace. Since you can see it unless sunroof is open and you are outside of the car, you could clean it and put some clear silicone caulk at and around the slit. This will keep it from fraying. It will dry clear. Keep sunroof open in garage for a few days to let it all cure. No biggie.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jack F:
koala (11-01-2021), Rich_Jenkins (11-01-2021), Tier1Terrier (10-31-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 01:54 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 539 Likes on 315 Posts

I'd be tempted to try a small iron-on patch and call it a day. Don't actually iron it on, use a heat gun, but same idea. Jack F's idea of silicone is a good one, too.

If you hate how it looks then you go buy the part and replace it, but given that you can't see it when you're driving, not sure if it's worth spending $320 and what looks like 2 hours of labour for.
Old 11-01-2021, 05:36 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 494 Posts

The responses here have gotten me to think a little outside the box so I did a search for black fabric tape and came up with a couple of options that might do the trick. Two things I found on Amazon are wire loom harness tape and book binding tape. Both of which seem like viable solutions. I would just have to cut a tiny little rectangular sliver to mend the piece of fabric that's beginning to separate and hopefully that does the trick. I'm not really too concerned with it but if I can keep the tear from opening up more, I can probably go without replacing the part altogether for a while longer.

As for not seeing it when I'm driving, that is true. But it's definitely visible when parked with the sunroof open and something about having visible damage doesn't sit well with me if I can fix it and/or prevent it from getting worse a little while longer. If a patch solution doesn't come out right, then I'll probably go ahead and replace it at some point.

Thanks for the input everyone!
The following users liked this post:
Rich_Jenkins (11-01-2021)

Quick Reply: Sunroof Wind Deflector Screen Damaged