Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Multifunction Controls to 991.2 Steering Wheel - Complete DIY Video

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2022 | 12:54 AM
Staci_can
3rd Gear

@Tier1Terrier

Was there ever any issue with leaving the original stalk controller installed like you did? Did you eventually remove it? Were you able to configure the custom button? Thanks again
Old 07-20-2022 | 02:05 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Staci_can
@Tier1Terrier

Was there ever any issue with leaving the original stalk controller installed like you did? Did you eventually remove it? Were you able to configure the custom button? Thanks again
@Staci_can No, No, and No.

No issues leaving the original stalk. It continues to work as it used to. I really felt no reason to remove it. Just gives another option to control stuff.

I was not able to configure the custom (wild card) button but for me it functioned perfectly as it brought the display back to the baseline gauges which is what I like. So if I were to have configured it, it would have been to work exactly as it does.
Old 07-20-2022 | 03:32 PM
rchaas
Rennlist Member

I followed your process and it went very smoothly. Very happy with the result. Mine was a relatively simple swap out of silver trim buttons for black, to match the surround. No control box or function issues or changes.

The following users liked this post:
dc7391 (05-17-2023)
Old 07-20-2022 | 09:59 PM
McLaren997
Racer

Good upgrade, I have the same steering wheel. It was called the GT Sport Steering Wheel and cost $320. BTW, be sure to look at the oil change thread, more tips. It shows how to do it a better way than your YouTube video.
Old 07-22-2022 | 02:27 PM
ash_schwin
Rennlist Member

OP, thank you for the awesome video and DIY which was explained very well.

Silly question on my end, but does the type of speakers that come with the car affect the MF controls usage? I know most 991.2 models have Bose or Burmester audio equipped but mine has the non-bose stereo. I assume the infotainment and everything else would be the same?

Just wanted to make sure the audio controls and phone connectivity on the steering wheels control will still work on my model before I start sourcing the parts.
Old 07-23-2022 | 07:24 AM
Revsportz
Rennlist Member

Default GT vs non GT

Does anyone know if the multifunction controls same from a GT versus a Non GT steering wheel since the Gt is slightly smaller in diameters? I see them on eBay but just want to make sure I get the right one.

thanks
Old 07-27-2022 | 05:51 PM
6speeddave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Revsportz
Does anyone know if the multifunction controls same from a GT versus a Non GT steering wheel since the Gt is slightly smaller in diameters? I see them on eBay but just want to make sure I get the right one.

thanks
​​​​​​​They are the same, yes.

Last edited by 6speeddave; 07-28-2022 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-28-2022 | 06:08 PM
rudyrodriguez
AutoX

Quick question. I have a 2015 991.1 with basic steering wheel with PDK shifters on left and right side. If I find the same steering wheel, same configuration, Can i just swap one for the other without reprogramming from the delaership? Even if the wheel came from a Panamera, cayman or boxster?
Old 09-18-2022 | 02:55 AM
Roonees
3rd Gear

Hey do you still have the silver set of controls?
Old 09-18-2022 | 02:55 AM
Roonees
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by rchaas
I followed your process and it went very smoothly. Very happy with the result. Mine was a relatively simple swap out of silver trim buttons for black, to match the surround. No control box or function issues or changes.

hey do you still have the silver set of controls?
Old 09-18-2022 | 08:59 AM
rchaas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Roonees
hey do you still have the silver set of controls?

Silver multifunction switch gear

Old 11-20-2022 | 10:17 PM
jblobner
Intermediate

Default Couldn't make it work.

Bought a wheel with the MF switches and module. My car is a base 991.2 non-chrono PDK. The wheel was said to be from a 991.2 non-chrono. Removal was easy, but the install was not. The airbag connectors were different so I couldn't connect the airbag. Installed the wheel connected the harnesses. Fired up the car without the airbag to test the MF switches and nothing worked. Am I missing something or did I get bad parts/wrong wheel?
Old 11-20-2022 | 10:47 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jblobner
Bought a wheel with the MF switches and module. My car is a base 991.2 non-chrono PDK. The wheel was said to be from a 991.2 non-chrono. Removal was easy, but the install was not. The airbag connectors were different so I couldn't connect the airbag. Installed the wheel connected the harnesses. Fired up the car without the airbag to test the MF switches and nothing worked. Am I missing something or did I get bad parts/wrong wheel?
Not sure about that and I'm sorry to hear it's not working for you. I think you already know if it's from a non-chrono vehicle because it would be missing the drive mode selector dial. Did it come with a wire harness or did you use your original one? I think the module is key although I can't say for sure that's what your issue is. Could it be possible that one of the wires isn't connected properly or could a wire have gotten pinched? Just trying to think of anything that could be causing your issue. I think as a last resort you could take it to a dealer and ask them to code it for you but there's no telling if they will do that for you or how much that will cost.
I'll tag @polobai here as he has some experience with this an might have other ideas as to what might be causing your issue.
Old 11-20-2022 | 11:07 PM
jblobner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
Not sure about that and I'm sorry to hear it's not working for you. I think you already know if it's from a non-chrono vehicle because it would be missing the drive mode selector dial. Did it come with a wire harness or did you use your original one? I think the module is key although I can't say for sure that's what your issue is. Could it be possible that one of the wires isn't connected properly or could a wire have gotten pinched? Just trying to think of anything that could be causing your issue. I think as a last resort you could take it to a dealer and ask them to code it for you but there's no telling if they will do that for you or how much that will cost.
I'll tag @polobai here as he has some experience with this an might have other ideas as to what might be causing your issue.
Thanks for the quick reply. Correct no chrono on my car or the new wheel. The wheel came completely intact with harness and module already installed. Everything looks to be as it came from the factory. I used the harness that came with the wheel. Mine doesn't have the connector that goes to the module. My original wheel doesn't have a module. My local dealer isn't very user friendly when it comes to these type of things. They are short handed and have no time and charge very high rates.
Old 11-21-2022 | 12:46 PM
polobai
Drifting

Post some pics-the airbag harness should be the same and if it came with the module, it should work. I imagine you got an airbag light when you fired up the car?

Quick Reply: Adding Multifunction Controls to 991.2 Steering Wheel - Complete DIY Video