Sponsored by:

991.1: Preowned advice in DFW area

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2021, 03:51 PM
core22
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolpertinger
I bought a 2012 991.1 Carrera S about 18 months ago with 53,000 miles on it and couldn't be happier. The car is rock solid after about 6,000 miles. I'm a certified YouTube mechanic, so I have been able to do all my own maintenance. Oil changes are very simple. I've found most of the maintenance fairly straightforward, as long as you can get at the motor from underneath. I had a 2011 Cayman S prior, and have no regrets about stepping up. I absolutely love the car!
Same, bought my .1 4S in February 2019. Been a pleasure regarding maintenance and service, with the most wallet-taxing being an alignment that was performed this past week.
Old 10-01-2021, 06:14 PM
moswissa
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Can I ask why a non S over an S? I would def aim for the best bang for your buck.
Old 10-01-2021, 08:25 PM
sr2002
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by moswissa
Can I ask why a non S over an S? I would def aim for the best bang for your buck.
Mostly for the cost savings if any. I know 350hp is going to be plenty for me. I’m coming from a Camry and an RX350, neither are remotely considered sports cars haha let alone anywhere close to the dynamics or performance of a 911
Old 10-01-2021, 10:42 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,105 Likes on 665 Posts

If you have not done so, you need to drive a 991 and 718, preferably on the same roads on the same day. Both are fabulous cars, but when pushed even a little bit, the feel--and for me, the entertainment--are very different. I had and loved a 2005 Boxster S, and it was probably a "better" car, but I love the distinct 911 balance, even if it is "inferior".
The following 2 users liked this post by bkrantz:
Rich_Jenkins (10-02-2021), sr2002 (10-02-2021)
Old 10-01-2021, 11:00 PM
TXGerman
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 90 Posts

Wow, where to start...lots of good tips, advice and opinions here already, but here's my take....

I bought my first modern 911 just a couple months ago. A 991.1 S, quite well optioned and undervalued at the market price "then" and purchased from a private seller. The transaction was very smooth but that's mostly because 1) I got lucky and the seller was in state, 2) we were both very honest with each other and there was no BS to sort through or deal with and 3) it was a cash deal, no financing/bank to deal with. I knew that I "had to have" an S, mostly because I knew that a GTS, Turbo, etc. were not within the budget I was willing to spend at this time. I was not planning to actually buy at the time I found my car, but when I found it and realized it checked essentially every box on my "must have" list, I knew it was time to act.

I am the third owner and I had "some" of the car's history. My car, like some of the above posts, had some overdue time-based maintenance due. I am pretty handy with a wrench and pretty well outfitted in my garage to tackle quite a few jobs, so I spent ~$550 for parts, oil and a couple tools to tackle the jobs. I saved somewhere between $3,000-$4,000 by doing it myself. Oh yeah, and it was really quite easy to do. I realize this is not for everyone, my only point is that if you are willing to explore that option, you can save some stacks of cash.

I agree with several other posts here that if you are considering a 991.1, you should definitely consider an S and even a 997.2. I had been searching for a 997.2 (for a long time actually) when I found my 991.1. The more I drive my 991 the more I love it.

I highly recommend two aftermarket items should you get a 991. Get a Cobb Accessport if you get a PDK and get a DSC V3 to improve your PASM (if your car has that). I have a PDK and my car came with the COBB AP from the PO, I have SPASM so based upon many, many RL users feedback I bought the DSC V3, zero regrets!

Lastly, Private seller, Pcar Dealer, Non-Pcar Dealer....well, I just suggest you determine what you "have to have" and be honest with yourself. As others pointed out, know what you want to do with the car and how you intend to use it/enjoy it and know where your financial limit is. I would have loved to get a CPO (my wife's Macan is a CPO), but I believed that I stood a better chance to find a better overall deal if I could find a private seller. So I kept my source options wide open. Then, search, search, search and then search some more. Be patient and stick to your list of must haves and budget limit. If there's one thing I learned, there will always be another 911 for sale (may not be affordable, but that's not the point). Then, you must turn over every possible stone. Use Cargurus, Autotrader, Carvana, Carmax, Autotempest (Cars.com, CL, etc included in search), Rennlist, Pelican, PCA, Truecar, etc, etc, etc. You have to be a bloodhound. If you are willing to search nationwide, clearly your chances to find what you want improve. I highly recommend you establish a budget of ~$2k for a PPI and shipping (or airline ticket to go and get it and drive it home). I flew from H-town to DFW to get my car so my portion of that budget ended up to be lower. I recently bought a very lightly used 18yo DD, bought it from a private seller in Jacksonville, flew out there, picked it up and drove it home too!

Good luck, I hope a little bit of this was helpful and keep us posted on what you eventually find. Go get a 911, don't look back and just enjoy the many miles of smiles!

Dennis
The following 2 users liked this post by TXGerman:
Rich_Jenkins (10-02-2021), sr2002 (10-02-2021)
Old 10-02-2021, 02:00 AM
sr2002
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TXGerman
Wow, where to start...lots of good tips, advice and opinions here already, but here's my take....

I bought my first modern 911 just a couple months ago. A 991.1 S, quite well optioned and undervalued at the market price "then" and purchased from a private seller. The transaction was very smooth but that's mostly because 1) I got lucky and the seller was in state, 2) we were both very honest with each other and there was no BS to sort through or deal with and 3) it was a cash deal, no financing/bank to deal with. I knew that I "had to have" an S, mostly because I knew that a GTS, Turbo, etc. were not within the budget I was willing to spend at this time. I was not planning to actually buy at the time I found my car, but when I found it and realized it checked essentially every box on my "must have" list, I knew it was time to act.

I am the third owner and I had "some" of the car's history. My car, like some of the above posts, had some overdue time-based maintenance due. I am pretty handy with a wrench and pretty well outfitted in my garage to tackle quite a few jobs, so I spent ~$550 for parts, oil and a couple tools to tackle the jobs. I saved somewhere between $3,000-$4,000 by doing it myself. Oh yeah, and it was really quite easy to do. I realize this is not for everyone, my only point is that if you are willing to explore that option, you can save some stacks of cash.

I agree with several other posts here that if you are considering a 991.1, you should definitely consider an S and even a 997.2. I had been searching for a 997.2 (for a long time actually) when I found my 991.1. The more I drive my 991 the more I love it.

I highly recommend two aftermarket items should you get a 991. Get a Cobb Accessport if you get a PDK and get a DSC V3 to improve your PASM (if your car has that). I have a PDK and my car came with the COBB AP from the PO, I have SPASM so based upon many, many RL users feedback I bought the DSC V3, zero regrets!

Lastly, Private seller, Pcar Dealer, Non-Pcar Dealer....well, I just suggest you determine what you "have to have" and be honest with yourself. As others pointed out, know what you want to do with the car and how you intend to use it/enjoy it and know where your financial limit is. I would have loved to get a CPO (my wife's Macan is a CPO), but I believed that I stood a better chance to find a better overall deal if I could find a private seller. So I kept my source options wide open. Then, search, search, search and then search some more. Be patient and stick to your list of must haves and budget limit. If there's one thing I learned, there will always be another 911 for sale (may not be affordable, but that's not the point). Then, you must turn over every possible stone. Use Cargurus, Autotrader, Carvana, Carmax, Autotempest (Cars.com, CL, etc included in search), Rennlist, Pelican, PCA, Truecar, etc, etc, etc. You have to be a bloodhound. If you are willing to search nationwide, clearly your chances to find what you want improve. I highly recommend you establish a budget of ~$2k for a PPI and shipping (or airline ticket to go and get it and drive it home). I flew from H-town to DFW to get my car so my portion of that budget ended up to be lower. I recently bought a very lightly used 18yo DD, bought it from a private seller in Jacksonville, flew out there, picked it up and drove it home too!

Good luck, I hope a little bit of this was helpful and keep us posted on what you eventually find. Go get a 911, don't look back and just enjoy the many miles of smiles!

Dennis
thank you for the great and interesting write up. This was very helpful! I’m going to keep a look out and keep my patience with this purchase for sure. I’ve waited this long, so i’m okay to wait a little more for a good private seller,

thanks for the suggestions about the PDK and PASM will look into that as well!
Old 10-02-2021, 02:31 AM
Macan't
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

My advise would be to be brutal with your negotiation. The asking prices are high, but a lot of cars are not moving for anywhere near those prices. I know because I just sold a 2014 C4S.

The second had Porsche market is totally saturated with ********, so if you are nice but firm on what you want, you will have a leg up. If I were you, I would look up the KBB value and offer the low end of that + maybe $1-2k.

As for what car you should get. Get the one that makes you happiest. My guess that that 991s will depreciate less than 718s. The used 718s around here have asking prices around their original MSRP. Before the covid squeeze, 718s were very unwanted and were selling for 60% of what the asking price is now. Normal 991s are only up 15% or so.

Lastly. Dont get sucked in with dealer bull****. They will tell you "111 point inspection" or whatever, but it doesnt mean anything. All that matters is maintenance records and wear and tear items. Dealers dont care and dont provide these. If you want peace of mind, get a warranty. My preference is to buy directly from a private seller that can hand me a folder of maintenance thats been dont to the car. 991s are going to be due for their 6 year maintenance by age. Probably due for new tires by age as well. How are you going to know if the $800 spark plug job has been completed if you buy from a dealer. Its all an illusion. RAC is no different from anyone else. Youre paying a dealer premium for nothing.
Old 10-02-2021, 08:31 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by moswissa
I suppose that if you track the car there may be some advantage. Perhaps some bragging rights.

I spent part of the difference between a base and S on a full leather interior, the keyless entry system, light package, 14 way seats (cooled and heated), multipurpose steering wheel, nifty wheels, PSE, plastic coating trunk cover, and still had a lot left over

I seem to recall that the 930 Turbo had 282 hp at 5500 rpm...the 991.1 C2 has 350 hp and about the same torque

I also recall that the base model is more popular in Germany because of a horsepower tax...can someone confirm this?

My 991.1 C2 has not disappointed over the past 99,550 miles since June 2013 delivery.

Last edited by rnl; 10-02-2021 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-02-2021, 09:54 AM
docskeet
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 92 Posts

Autotempest.com
Makes you search easier, multiple sites on one platform.

FWIW I purchased a 2014 C2 Cab (3 prior owners) with 30k miles in March 2021 for $62,800.00; knowing it needed a water pump ($1,552.00) based on the PPI. Good deals are out there.

I strongly advise spending the money on a good independent PPI before making your purchase.
Old 10-02-2021, 10:42 AM
Levy
Racer

Received 284 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by rnl
I suppose that if you track the car there may be some advantage. Perhaps some bragging rights.
always buy whatever works best for you. all kinds of things can come into play when deciding which model to get. from budget too equipment too performance and many combinations of all of the above....everyone has a sweet spot somewhere. it's a balancing act of personal priorities imho.

that being said....i purchased my 13 C2S 18 months ago when price's were very low. after driving both a base and an S, i stopped looking at base's and focused on S's only. had nothing to do with tracking or bragging. i don't do either. bottom line for me was the incredible 3.8 liter. if you drive them back to back (like i did), you'll get a much better feel of what the S bring to the table. for some folks it's worth it. for others it's not. i get it

zero regrets for me getting the S. did have to pass on some well equipped S's because of budget, but eventually found one that worked for me.

it all boils down to what's most important to the person paying (the buyer)

Quick Reply: 991.1: Preowned advice in DFW area