Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very weird acting transmission. 13’ 911 S

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2021 | 04:33 PM
MikeNJ
AutoX

Default Very weird acting transmission. 13’ 911 S

I really desperately hope someone knowledgeable will take the time to read this long cry for help.

Please see my other post before this for more context and info on the car.

Yesterday the weirdest thing started to happen, on the parkway going about 70mph (sport+ on and I’m in 7th gear) I’m about to pass somebody so I give some mild acceleration, not a lot but just enough to pass the guy. As I’m passing the rpms go all the way up towards the 4.5/5k range as if the car was in neutral and I was revving.
the car was showing it shifted into 6 gear but was still in 7??? .. right after this the rev match stopped working on my down shifts (sport+)
so I got home parked it, tried to find an answer online, nothing.
today I go for test drive and tried no sport activated and seen the same exact thing happening without it on.
put it back on and same thing was happening except the rev match stopped working again.
before testing the acceleration/gear issue it was working but soon as I got the trans/gear to reenact the issue I had yesterday, it stopped.

I have recorded two videos of exactly what I’m talking about. i don’t know how to upload video here , if somebody has a easy way of uploading it, please let me know.

this is happening in higher gears only (4..5..6..7)
cruise at whatever gear mentioned, rpms at 2..2.5k ..go to accelerate hard and it revs all the way up and the speedometer thing shows it down shifts to the gear below (without me even touching the stick or clutch) …

I was having a mystery problem before all of this started happening (see post before this) so I don’t know if this correlates with this current issue or if the car is just a jinx POS.

please. help. me.
Old 09-09-2021 | 04:59 PM
MikeNJ
AutoX

I uploaded a video of the issue.

let me know if it works.

Old 09-09-2021 | 05:23 PM
mymac
Pro

Sounds like a slipping clutch.
The following 3 users liked this post by mymac:
Fullyield (09-10-2021), koala (09-09-2021), MikeNJ (09-09-2021)
Old 09-09-2021 | 05:28 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by MikeNJ
I really desperately hope someone knowledgeable will take the time to read this long cry for help.

Please see my other post before this for more context and info on the car.

Yesterday the weirdest thing started to happen, on the parkway going about 70mph (sport+ on and I’m in 7th gear) I’m about to pass somebody so I give some mild acceleration, not a lot but just enough to pass the guy. As I’m passing the rpms go all the way up towards the 4.5/5k range as if the car was in neutral and I was revving.
the car was showing it shifted into 6 gear but was still in 7??? .. right after this the rev match stopped working on my down shifts (sport+)
so I got home parked it, tried to find an answer online, nothing.
today I go for test drive and tried no sport activated and seen the same exact thing happening without it on.
put it back on and same thing was happening except the rev match stopped working again.
before testing the acceleration/gear issue it was working but soon as I got the trans/gear to reenact the issue I had yesterday, it stopped.

I have recorded two videos of exactly what I’m talking about. i don’t know how to upload video here , if somebody has a easy way of uploading it, please let me know.

this is happening in higher gears only (4..5..6..7)
cruise at whatever gear mentioned, rpms at 2..2.5k ..go to accelerate hard and it revs all the way up and the speedometer thing shows it down shifts to the gear below (without me even touching the stick or clutch) …

I was having a mystery problem before all of this started happening (see post before this) so I don’t know if this correlates with this current issue or if the car is just a jinx POS.

please. help. me.
oops just noticed you have a manual. I was about to answer for PDK. So Im no help-don't know.

Last edited by chuckbdc; 09-09-2021 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-09-2021 | 06:08 PM
MikeNJ
AutoX

Originally Posted by mymac
Sounds like a slipping clutch.

hey thanks for the reply. I researched what you mentioned and it looks like it’s the same issue.
do you have any more info on this? Do you know if it’s just a matter of replacing the clutch ? Or something more severe?
Old 09-09-2021 | 06:17 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Your clutch is slipping - typical signs of a worn clutch; looks like you've got around 90k miles on the car, so if it's the original clutch that's where my money would be. From my recollection talking to a dealer, the clutch replacement on a 991.2 runs about $5k. The only odd thing is the MFD display showing a downshift. It's possible it's linked to sudden RPM changes, but that's the one thing that makes me a little concerned. A quick diagnostic trip to your local shop will confirm (or refute) the slipping clutch diagnosis, but that's my bet. And yes, it would "just" be a matter of replacing the clutch.

Edit: just read your other post, and yeah - definitely sounds like the clutch. I mean 94k out of a clutch isn't terrible, so that's what my bet is. Take it to an indy and get the clutch replaced.

Last edited by enzotcat; 09-09-2021 at 06:20 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by enzotcat:
Fullyield (09-10-2021), jfischet (09-09-2021), koala (09-09-2021), MikeNJ (09-09-2021)
Old 09-09-2021 | 06:41 PM
MikeNJ
AutoX

Originally Posted by enzotcat
only odd thing is the MFD display showing a downshift. It's possible it's linked to sudden RPM changes, but that's the one thing that makes me a little concerned.

thanks so much for the reply. That is what’s most concerning to me as well, also the Rev matching not working after the slipping happens.
ive definitely checked off most the signs of needing a new clutch though.
Old 09-09-2021 | 06:43 PM
enzotcat
Pro

I suspect that the rev matching just gets horribly confused because the revs are not doing what it expects because the clutch is slipping. Everything else is a classic sign of the clutch slipping. That's the biggest problem right now - I suspect you're going to need to fix it first before proceeding with diagnosing anything else.
Old 09-09-2021 | 06:53 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MikeNJ
thanks so much for the reply. That is what’s most concerning to me as well, also the Rev matching not working after the slipping happens.
ive definitely checked off most the signs of needing a new clutch though.
Did you try slowly going up an incline in a higher gear- at least 3rd, or 4th. If its not slipping I believe you will almost stall.
Old 09-09-2021 | 07:10 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Clutch for sure. While you're at it, check to see if your reverse lights are working (when the car is parked, have the ignition on, engine off, place it in reverse w/ parking brake on, then get out and take a look to see if the reverse lights are on). If they're not, get Porsche to replace the transmission under the new extended warranty for that part, and then your labour to swap out the clutch/flywheel won't be as significant.

Also, I can't tell for sure from the video, but is your parking brake malfunctioning or engaged? It looks like it says "BRAKE" in red in the gauge cluster.
Old 09-09-2021 | 07:11 PM
mymac
Pro

Try and find an indy shop in your area. A clutch replacement is a pretty straight forward procedure.
The following users liked this post:
MikeNJ (09-10-2021)
Old 09-09-2021 | 07:28 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

@MikeNJ What exhaust system do you have mate? It sounds glorious.
Wolpertinger (09-09-2021)
Old 09-09-2021 | 08:10 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

I see the carpet matches the drapes! Good for you! Seriously though, glad to hear that this is likely something less dramatic...hopefully you will be avoiding Koala's issues.

Old 09-09-2021 | 10:05 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

typical slipping clutch
MikeNJ (09-10-2021)
Old 09-10-2021 | 01:00 AM
MikeNJ
AutoX

Originally Posted by koala
Cl I can't tell for sure from the video, but is your parking brake malfunctioning or engaged? It looks like it says "BRAKE" in red in the gauge cluster.
thanks for the info. I will definitely try that tomorrow.
also, it’s a brake sensor. I had pads and rotors replaced but one of the sensors broke so I have to order new one.

Quick Reply: Very weird acting transmission. 13’ 911 S