Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Joining the WS Replacement Crowd

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2021 | 12:24 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Default Joining the WS Replacement Crowd

Drove on Sat on heard a load something hit the windshield. Said "holy ****z, what was that" but saw no cracks or chips from the cockpit. When I got home, forgot to check WS from the outside.

Went for drive today. No marks, cracks visible from the cockpit.

Pulled into driveway, and saw this. Guessing the jostling and road bumps finally did its thing and got this! You can see how big that bullet hole is by the wiper.

What a way to celebrate Labor Day! I have full glass insurance, so will put in a claim and get it done at the dealer. .

Old 09-06-2021 | 03:25 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Same! This last week I took a rock right in front of the sensor. It has since spiderwebbed across the windshield.

Minnesota state law requires $0 deductible glass coverage to be provided with comprehensive coverage, so I'll be getting this replaced with dealer glass including a dealer recalibration (of what, I'm not sure, no LCA/LKA on this car...) for free. Phew!

Old 09-06-2021 | 03:52 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Recalibration? Wonder what that is and whether I need it. Guess it doesn't hurt to ask. Sure dealer will give me a funny look and do nothing but charge the insurance company for doing it.
Old 09-06-2021 | 04:03 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Recalibration? Wonder what that is and whether I need it. Guess it doesn't hurt to ask. Sure dealer will give me a funny look and do nothing but charge the insurance company for doing it.
It's pretty common in modern cars what with the cameras in the rear view mirror, the rain sensors, etc. They need to be calibrated to know where 'forward' is for the purposes of lane keeping and whether or not you're going to crash into something, or some such.

I mentioned it to the glass place doing the work and they said "yeah, totally normal, we'll schedule with the dealer to get it calibrated."

Old 09-06-2021 | 05:09 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Funny - I don’t have any large cracks or anything like that, but 2+ years of track rubber and nasty stuff have taken their toll - there are so many little micro-chips, abrasions and sand blasts that the WS looks terrible, and there is one little chip right in my line of sight that happened in the last 2 weeks. I’m going to see if I can get it covered by insurance, but not sure if that will work out. In any event, I think the only thing that I have is the rain-sensitive wipers. No new-fangled traffic sign recognition or anything.
Old 09-06-2021 | 06:25 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by enzotcat
Funny - I don’t have any large cracks or anything like that, but 2+ years of track rubber and nasty stuff have taken their toll - there are so many little micro-chips, abrasions and sand blasts that the WS looks terrible, and there is one little chip right in my line of sight that happened in the last 2 weeks. I’m going to see if I can get it covered by insurance, but not sure if that will work out. In any event, I think the only thing that I have is the rain-sensitive wipers. No new-fangled traffic sign recognition or anything.
A previous insurance agent once recommended a ball peen hammer to ensure appropriate glass coverage...
The following users liked this post:
enzotcat (09-06-2021)
Old 09-07-2021 | 04:52 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Originally Posted by asellus
A previous insurance agent once recommended a ball peen hammer to ensure appropriate glass coverage...
Ha. So I got a quote for factory glass - $1,300, right about where I expected it. Turns out that at least where I live, insurance companies will only pay for factory glass for the current and current-1 model years, so 2021 and 2020 MY. For all others, they spec non-OEM glass, and if you want the OEM glass you get to pay the difference between OEM and non-OEM prices. Add in the $500 deductible - because here in the live-free-or-die state you don't get to replace a WS without a deductible - and I'm looking at maybe $400 in savings if I go the insurance route.

Now the next big decision is - do I do it now, enjoy it for a while, potentially get it all nasty again after my next track day, or do I wait until after. I'm leaning towards the latter despite wanting the immediate gratification of fixing it. Also, factor in the new set of tires needed for the next track day, and suddenly things are getting expensive again. Bah humbug.

On the other hand, a friend with a 2004 Lamborghini Gallardo was telling me that they need to replace the clutch every 10,000-15,000 miles because the car "just burns through the clutch because it's a 'race' clutch". I guess that Lamborghini doesn't believe in safety margins ...
Old 09-07-2021 | 05:13 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Every single year I have used my free one.

It’s not always at the track either. Sometimes its on the way to the track. 🤣
The following users liked this post:
enzotcat (09-07-2021)
Old 09-07-2021 | 05:20 PM
991Targa4S
Rennlist Member

Anyone wrap ppf on the windshield?
Old 09-07-2021 | 05:30 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 991Targa4S
Not PPF, no. Most any shop will highly recommend against doing that.

There are tear-offs though, which sort of act like a PPF in the whole sacrificial-layer thing, but they're more intended to be a quicker way to clean the windscreen during a pit stop. You see it a lot on full blown endurance race cars and motorcycle helmet visors. Practically no reason to do this for a street car, or even a street car that sees track days.

https://protintshop.com/collections/frontpage
Old 09-07-2021 | 07:49 PM
uphoto
Pro

Finally getting mine done too, just ordered a replacement Porsche one. Have to pay $500 deductible but at least progressive is covering a OE replacement.
Old 09-07-2021 | 08:55 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 991Targa4S

There is this thing called Clearplex. I think it was around $500 a few years ago. May be more or less now. I think some people on RL have used it.

https://madico.com/dealers/automotiv...tion/clearplex

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/e...otection-film/
Old 09-09-2021 | 10:12 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Talking Clearplex

Out local San Diego Clearplex shop:
https://www.modernimage.net/vehicle-...ld-protection/

Locally, Clearplex wants hey want $600 for a 991.1. If a new windshield is $1,300 (Rumor)....I have $500 deductible.....net cost is $700. But, I would think you would want to install Clearplex over a fresh windshield. So my "real" cost is $600 to Clearplex and my $500 deductible. $1,100. Nevertheless I am considering it...may pop onto Clearplex this week.
Old 09-09-2021 | 10:38 AM
Levy
Racer

Originally Posted by asellus
LOL
spent 10 years in Colorado and needed new glass almost every year. those years when a full crack never developed (from the many chips), a couple of hard whacks with the palm of my hand did the trick.
Old 09-12-2021 | 05:02 PM
Praecox
Intermediate

Had a small windshield chip in my 997… but right in my line of sight… went to Auto Zone and bought a repair kit for $15… read the instructions, saw a video and gave it a try… in 10 minutes the chip was almost invisible! Have a 2021 Lambo Huracan with dealer installed Clearplex… vision is perfect and you cannot tell there is a protective film on the windshield… dealer installed other PPF and forgot to charge for the Clearplex… told me it was a gift… life could not be better…

Quick Reply: Joining the WS Replacement Crowd