Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have DIY instructions/pointers on replacing F/R Sway bars on a 991?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2021 | 01:38 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Default Anyone have DIY instructions/pointers on replacing F/R Sway bars on a 991?

Hello All

I recently purchased a pair of F/R TPC Sway bars and (front) End links for my 991.1 GTS.

I will be tackling this myself and reached out to TPC directly about a link to Installation guide but have not heard back. (probably understandably short staffed/busy)

Reaching out to you guys to see if you guys can share some pointers. I have a half-scissor-lift in the garage and would like to gather as much information before I start taking things apart.
My car does not have PDCC and is RWD only.

Also hoping this will help anyone thinking about the same project.

Thank you in advance.
Old 08-25-2021 | 05:59 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

TPC officially told me this ain’t a DIY. Get it professionally installed.

Anyone familiar with dropping front subframe on a 991?

i refuse to give up this early. Can’t be that hard

Last edited by desmotesta; 08-25-2021 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-26-2021 | 12:16 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default I don't mean to be snarky....

But if you have PASM or Sport PASM, what led you to believe that a change in sway bars and drop links was going to optimize handling? What big bars will do is give you a rougher ride on the street. Who wants that? Not me....Assuming your car has PASM or Sport PASM, consider a DSC V3 PASM controller, a 2 connection swap out reversible modification. TPC is a big supporter of the DSC V3 controller. Perhaps consider getting in touch with TPC and do a swap out, send back those bars and links. If you don't have PASM, you may want to upgrade you car to this feature...I believe it can be done...

In my case, my last two (2) cars have had PASM, the prior 2015 Cayman GTS with Sport PASM and the 2013 991.1 Carrera S with PASM...far superior street and track performance to five (5) prior older Porsches where I had to beef up the suspension for optimal track handling, big springs and sway bars. Roll was neutralized, but the car would kick my dental fillings out on the street. With PASM, and especially PASM with the DSC V3 controller, you have the best of both worlds, street driving is smoother, track response is appropriately aggressive. Just sayin.....

The following users liked this post:
desmotesta (08-26-2021)
Old 08-26-2021 | 11:41 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Martin S.
But if you have PASM or Sport PASM, what led you to believe that a change in sway bars and drop links was going to optimize handling? What big bars will do is give you a rougher ride on the street. Who wants that? Not me....Assuming your car has PASM or Sport PASM, consider a DSC V3 PASM controller, a 2 connection swap out reversible modification. TPC is a big supporter of the DSC V3 controller. Perhaps consider getting in touch with TPC and do a swap out, send back those bars and links. If you don't have PASM, you may want to upgrade you car to this feature...I believe it can be done...

In my case, my last two (2) cars have had PASM, the prior 2015 Cayman GTS with Sport PASM and the 2013 991.1 Carrera S with PASM...far superior street and track performance to five (5) prior older Porsches where I had to beef up the suspension for optimal track handling, big springs and sway bars. Roll was neutralized, but the car would kick my dental fillings out on the street. With PASM, and especially PASM with the DSC V3 controller, you have the best of both worlds, street driving is smoother, track response is appropriately aggressive. Just sayin.....

Appreciate your feedback and some very good points. I must say I wasn't 100% sold on my decision but given the small investment I felt it was worth a try to see how the car felt afterwards.
Now I have something to think about.
Old 08-26-2021 | 11:47 AM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

Going straight, there is not difference in handling. The sway bar is there to aid handling in corners and under heavy breaking. Most helpful when really pushing limits, ie track days or auto cross.

but as Martin said, a DSC controller would be a better option for normal and weekend driving. You can get custom programs to help dip under heavy deceleration and turning.
look up 4 point 0. He changed swaybar, and it is not easy on 991. The 996 and 997 it was easy, 4 bolts.
desmotesta (08-26-2021)
Old 08-26-2021 | 12:09 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by desmotesta

TPC officially told me this ain’t a DIY. Get it professionally installed.

Anyone familiar with dropping front subframe on a 991?

i refuse to give up this early. Can’t be that hard
Haven't done a 991 but a Cayman and it is sorta PITA on Jack Stands. You don’t have to drop the front subframe just lower it but you need to support the fuel tank plus disconnect the front suspension, brakes and steering. Took me 3 days but I would get to a point and stop to cogitate the next steps which I would do the next day. Now the rear is easy peezy.

Peter
desmotesta (08-26-2021)

Quick Reply: Anyone have DIY instructions/pointers on replacing F/R Sway bars on a 991?