Sponsored by:

Porsche 991 PDK factory reset

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 04:36 PM
Macjack56
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Porsche 991 PDK factory reset

I recently bought a 2013 991 S is it a good idea to do a factory reset procedure for the PDK transmission that I’ve read about or leave well enough alone? No problems with it this far.
Edit
Old 08-17-2021, 04:58 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by Macjack56
I recently bought a 2013 991 S is it a good idea to do a factory reset procedure for the PDK transmission that I’ve read about or leave well enough alone? No problems with it this far.
Edit

Yes it is a good idea to do it. It ensures a recalibration if there is any wear.

I have a COBB accessport and when I added the PDK tune, it gave me the PDK relearn capability.

You sit in the car and hold the brake when it tells you to. You can hear it making adjustments.

The car is a bit of a moron for a few miles, until it relearns parameters. But it is a very fast learner.

Its like it doesn’t remember when to change gears until you go up and down the gears a couple of times. But it sorts itself out quite quickly.

It’s good maintenance.
The following users liked this post:
Macjack56 (08-17-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 06:40 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,278 Posts

Just to be clear, there are two "resets" that people talk about. One is complete bull****, the other actually performs a calibration that is completely unnecessary the vast, vast majority of the time, especially if you don't have any problems.

There's the song and dance bull**** with turning the car on, turning the ac off, turning the car off, standing outside for 60 seconds, then getting back in. This does nothing -- if you read, you'll find only consumers saying things like "I think it's better!" whereas 100% of Porsche technicians and dealerships say "yeah, no, never heard of that."
There's the clutch wear calibration. This... generally doesn't need to be done. If for some reason you do need it done (jerky shifts, slipping when it shouldn't, after replacing your PDK, etc.), you'll need a tool to initiate the procedure. COBB Accessports can do this, Autel's MaxiSys tablets can do this, Snapon tablets can do this, and of course PIWIS can do this. Call your indy or dealer for this procedure if you do not have access to any of these advanced diagnostic tools.

Be prepared to get told by the dealer that without a problem occurring, running this procedure is pretty meaningless.
B Russ (08-17-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 10:23 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 781 Likes on 528 Posts

I was calling Bull**** on that On off version as well.
Old 08-18-2021, 12:30 AM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 453 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by asellus
There's the song and dance bull**** with turning the car on, turning the ac off, turning the car off, standing outside for 60 seconds, then getting back in. This does nothing -- if you read, you'll find only consumers saying things like "I think it's better!" whereas 100% of Porsche technicians and dealerships say "yeah, no, never heard of that."
Priceless
Old 08-19-2021, 08:06 AM
mjposner
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 116 Posts

"There's the song and dance bull**** with turning the car on, turning the ac off, turning the car off, standing outside for 60 seconds, then getting back in"

Ahh I see why this is BS, you missed an important step. You must spin around 3 times and say the words "
Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe" three times correctly for this to work.
TXGerman (08-19-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 08:20 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,181 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by mjposner
"There's the song and dance bull**** with turning the car on, turning the ac off, turning the car off, standing outside for 60 seconds, then getting back in"

Ahh I see why this is BS, you missed an important step. You must spin around 3 times and say the words "

Oh, crap. Is that what I've been doing wrong all this time? No wonder!
Old 08-19-2021, 10:31 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjposner

I'll be damned, I just tried this (in my driveway, with neighbours watching, of course) and it WORKED! My PDK shifts faster, my mpgs went up, I gained 25hp, and I found $5 in the center console!
Old 08-19-2021, 10:41 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 200 Posts

I'll be damned, I just tried this (in my driveway, with neighbours watching, of course) and it WORKED! My PDK shifts faster, my mpgs went up, I gained 25hp, and I found $5 in the center console!
In addition, it cured my baldness
Old 08-19-2021, 10:45 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,181 Likes on 709 Posts

Mmmmm. Still not working for me! Must be pronouncing Doppelkupplungsgetriebe wrong. Or maybe need to practice my German accent?
Old 08-19-2021, 11:00 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Mmmmm. Still not working for me! Must be pronouncing Doppelkupplungsgetriebe wrong. Or maybe need to practice my German accent?
Very likely. You need to say it very angrily in order for it to come out right, like with most German. You're spinning around clockwise, right? Unless you're in the southern hemisphere, then you need to spin anti-clockwise!
Old 08-19-2021, 04:18 PM
ZerOG
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

Just to be clear, there are two "resets" that people talk about. One is complete bull****, the other actually performs a calibration that is completely unnecessary the vast, vast majority of the time, especially if you don't have any problems.

There's the clutch wear calibration. This... generally doesn't need to be done. If for some reason you do need it done (jerky shifts, slipping when it shouldn't, after replacing your PDK, etc.), you'll need a tool to initiate the procedure. COBB Accessports can do this, Autel's MaxiSys tablets can do this, Snapon tablets can do this, and of course PIWIS can do this. Call your indy or dealer for this procedure if you do not have access to any of these advanced diagnostic tools.

Be prepared to get told by the dealer that without a problem occurring, running this procedure is pretty meaningless.
I hope that people won’t take this seriously because you are completely mistaken. The DIY reset isn’t the same as a full calibration, it only resets the adaptive portion in the shift time algorithm. The rest values are generally more enjoyable and it would have been better if Porsche didn’t even make it adaptive.

i do mine twice a year and the difference is very noticeable.

I also have access to a PIWIS 3 and have done the full calibration. This one will often fail and (as per dealership procedure) requires about 500 ml (+/- 100 ml) of extra transmission fluid to pass. Some dealerships drain it out afterwards and some just let the system evacuate it.

Bottom line, if you tried the DIY reset and it want noticeable to YOU, it’s either you don’t notice it or there was an error in the procedure you followed.
Old 08-19-2021, 04:57 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZerOG
I hope that people won’t take this seriously because you are completely mistaken. The DIY reset isn’t the same as a full calibration, it only resets the adaptive portion in the shift time algorithm. The rest values are generally more enjoyable and it would have been better if Porsche didn’t even make it adaptive.

i do mine twice a year and the difference is very noticeable.

I also have access to a PIWIS 3 and have done the full calibration. This one will often fail and (as per dealership procedure) requires about 500 ml (+/- 100 ml) of extra transmission fluid to pass. Some dealerships drain it out afterwards and some just let the system evacuate it.

Bottom line, if you tried the DIY reset and it want noticeable to YOU, it’s either you don’t notice it or there was an error in the procedure you followed.
This falls squarely in the category of "consumer did it and insists it works" so please, enlighten us on the exact procedure with quantifiable evidence that anything actually changed. I'll also settle for a vetted Porsche technician confirming the procedure.

Until then, I stand by my commentary. There's nothing about this in the FSM, nothing about it in ALLDATA, numerous confirmations from separate dealers that the song-and-dance method shared around here isn't real, and a complete lack of reputable Porsche technicians even implying that such a procedure exists.

You may be accidentally triggering the throttle adaptation reset, which is real and you can find it under one of the WM 2X00IN entries for DME adaptations in the FSM. Even so, I'd love to see some hard data backing up your claims.
Old 08-19-2021, 07:42 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,520 Likes on 5,051 Posts

This falls squarely in the category of "consumer did it and insists it works" so please, enlighten us on the exact procedure with quantifiable evidence that anything actually changed. I'll also settle for a vetted Porsche technician confirming the procedure.

Until then, I stand by my commentary. There's nothing about this in the FSM, nothing about it in ALLDATA, numerous confirmations from separate dealers that the song-and-dance method shared around here isn't real, and a complete lack of reputable Porsche technicians even implying that such a procedure exists.

You may be accidentally triggering the throttle adaptation reset, which is real and you can find it under one of the WM 2X00IN entries for DME adaptations in the FSM. Even so, I'd love to see some hard data backing up your claims.
I mean if people believe that it works, what's the harm?

It certainly isn't harming the car.

It's sort of like that twitchy baseball player who, every time he's in the batter box, taps his helmet four times (2x on the bill and 2x on the dome), grabs his crotch, adjusts his belt, and spits two inches in the front of the plate, before he's ready to take the next pitch. Probably not going to help him biomechanically make contact with the ball, but heck, if he believes it helps, what's harm?
Old 08-20-2021, 08:38 AM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 384 Likes on 200 Posts

So I went and did this dubblekuppling DIY thingie on my car. It was raining outside, so I did it in the garage, but I struggled a little with the clockwise spinning because my garage is not that large. HOWEVER, I'm happy to report that after doing it - I had to partially lower the windows, btw, for it to work properly - I can definitely tell the difference. My 7MT clutch travel is smoother, the clutch engagement is back down on the floor again, and I swear that the car just looks more satisfied. Even though it's supposed to be for the PDK, I say that everyone with a 7MT should do this regularly as well.

Quick Reply: Porsche 991 PDK factory reset