Sponsored by:

K40 Removal / LED flickering

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2021 | 01:06 PM
protamine
Rennlist Member

Default K40 Removal / LED flickering

Two questions:

1) My car came from out of state with a hardwired K40 and jammers in the front. I dont use it. I dont like the way it looks. I'd like to get it removed. Where should I take it?
2) The LED in the driver footwell and surrounding the key are flickering...could it be related to the K40 (which has been on for years)

a) stereo/radar shop - they'd be more familiar with the k40 but less so with porsche assembly/disassembly
b) reputable porsche indy shop
c) dealer (could it void my CPO) and then have them fix the LED issue
d) do it yourself, can't be that hard

It appears my premium sub has run out - its a .2 GTS

Last edited by protamine; 08-17-2021 at 01:06 PM. Reason: formatting
Old 08-17-2021 | 01:23 PM
ajskydiver
Instructor

No one cares as much about how your car will be treated than you.

I'd do it myself, it's not difficult to remove trim as long as you have trim removal tools...and use the service manual found around here to help.

The general rule is that if it's the first time to remove it, takes more force than you'd think....BUT, If it still isn't coming off, you're probably doing it wrong (pulling out vs up, etc.)
Old 08-17-2021 | 01:40 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

^ Agree, and there's another general rule when it comes to Porsches: Their electrical systems are highly reliable…unless they've been modified or poorly repaired.

While there are some good stereo/alarm shops, many are butchers. All of them work on a time clock, and few have enough customers who will pay for the hours (and hours) to do a meticulous install. Were I in your shoes, I'd carefully remove as many of the components and as much as the wiring as I could within my comfort zone, and then have a very highly rated independent mechanic remove the rest and check out those flickering LEDs.

Quick Reply: K40 Removal / LED flickering