Sponsored by:

traction control button

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 10:22 AM
Tbounds
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Default traction control button

I noticed that when I push the traction control button that nothing seems to happen , no warning comes in dash saying traction control off and I see no light activated on button itself indicating a change .
Is this normal or do I have a problem ? I tried it in sport and normal modes no difference .
Old 08-17-2021, 10:26 AM
smgkc
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Tbounds
I noticed that when I push the traction control button that nothing seems to happen , no warning comes in dash saying traction control off and I see no light activated on button itself indicating a change .
Is this normal or do I have a problem ? I tried it in sport and normal modes no difference .
hold the button for approximately 3 seconds
The following 3 users liked this post by smgkc:
fluguy (08-18-2021), oolor13 (08-17-2021), Wolpertinger (08-17-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 11:58 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,278 Posts

hold for ~1 second for PSM Sport (if so equipped), hold for 2+ seconds for PSM Off. You'll get the notification on the MFD when you release the button for PSM Sport, or if you hold it for too long and toggle PSM Off.
The following users liked this post:
fluguy (08-18-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 02:04 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 460 Posts

so if the light is on its on,,no light its off?sometime german engineers rethink everything..
Old 08-17-2021, 02:22 PM
dannyss
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 80 Posts

No,
If the light is OFF, traction control is ON.
Press for a 2-3 sec, light goes ON, Message on MFD saying Traction Sport mode.
Press button, light goes OFF, traction control is ON
Press for 4-5 sec, light goes ON, Message on MFD saying Traction OFF (but not completely off)
Old 08-18-2021, 03:56 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by dannyss
No,
If the light is OFF, traction control is ON.
Press for a 2-3 sec, light goes ON, Message on MFD saying Traction Sport mode.
Press button, light goes OFF, traction control is ON
Press for 4-5 sec, light goes ON, Message on MFD saying Traction OFF (but not completely off)
Why is it not completely off?
I run full traction off at track. Half off on street.

It seems occasionally something is still trying to intervene when full off. Do you know what?
Old 08-19-2021, 10:47 AM
dannyss
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 80 Posts

Not sure, but have often read that it's not completely off.
In the "Good to Know" Porsche App, "When braking in the ABS control range, the vehicle is stabilized even when PSM is switched off. One sided spinning of the wheels is prevented even when PSM is switched off."
So I'm basing my opinion on the App text.
I'm sure I've read an article on the PSM never being off but can't remember where, Getting old is a bitch!
Old 08-19-2021, 10:56 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 345 Posts

In the "Good to Know" Porsche App, "When braking in the ABS control range, the vehicle is stabilized even when PSM is switched off. One sided spinning of the wheels is prevented even when PSM is switched off."
I'm sure I've read an article on the PSM never being off but can't remember where, Getting old is a bitch!
Don't feel bad, I read the exact same thing....I'll look for it. What I read is that you can turn PSM off, but the moment driver gets into the ABS, it's on again...let me look for the verbiage. Maybe I am NOT making this up, but then again, also being a "Senior"........
The following users liked this post:
dannyss (08-19-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 10:59 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,278 Posts

That makes sense. A few of the track guys here have expressed their suspicion that braking is temporarily re-enabling traction control systems to some extent.
Old 08-19-2021, 03:48 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Don't feel bad, I read the exact same thing....I'll look for it. What I read is that you can turn PSM off, but the moment driver gets into the ABS, it's on again...let me look for the verbiage. Maybe I am NOT making this up, but then again, also being a "Senior"........
Yes, when ABS is activated, it thinks you are about to have an accident, and t/c is momentarily switched back on. ABS is the surging or releasing of the brakes.

I no longer need this, as I have a full mechanical LSD. It won’t allow one rear wheel to spin under brakes either as the diff also locks under deceleration. The car is so much more stable under extreme braking at the track.
Old 08-19-2021, 09:05 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 453 Likes on 305 Posts

This is the exact verbiage as the manual. When off, PSM is temporarily activated only under these two situations. Once these situations are not longer present, PSM will continue as before in the off mode.

Quick Reply: traction control button