Sponsored by:

Replace Cayman with 911?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 02:55 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
For the .2's, leaks in the water pump is one issue that seems to recur. I don't know whether the .1's were affected by this. There are a few threads on .2 water pumps failing, requiring replacement, as well as additional parts. There is also discussion of Porsche now offering an extended warranty on replacement water pumps, but the details escape me or are in the threads.

Door panel warping seems to recur, for those cars with the plastic interior (not full leather). Again, not sure if both .1 and .2 were/are affected. I would guess so. Additional info, root cause and repair prognosis, below. Pedro is a PCA member of the Suncoast region, and has a lot of experience repairing these in his garage in FL:

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_5/Warped%21.html

The two gas-pressure struts that hold up the rear engine compartment deck lid seem to fail. Heat gets to them, resulting in loss of seal for the gas, and they no longer hold up. Mine ('17 C2) were just replaced under warranty. To check, just lift up the rear deck lid, and wait about a minute. If they have failed, the lid will slowwwwwwwly drop back and then clunk back into the latch.

I would definitely check the A/C system on a 5-7 year old car, actually any car. Refrigerant can leak and may need to be addressed.

Otherwise usual rules apply, look for good consistent routine maintenance, regular check ups, oil changes, etc. etc. in a used car. These cars (.1's and .2's) seem to be in a sweet spot for Porsche; not too old that they have persistent problems, not so much high tech that requires a PhD in Software Engineering to resolve, and build quality and design that ends up with fewer than average trips back to the dealer.

Lastly, and you may know this, but "CPO" doesn't necessarily mean "100% perfect cosmetically". Although Porsche touts CPO as the be all and end all, or likes to give the impression the car is like new, in practice, judging by the reports of folks who have had issues with CPO cars, there seems to be a variety of what's acceptable to "CPO" a car. It is however a very worthwhile warranty to have on an older Porsche, that much is for sure.
"Lastly, and you may know this, but "CPO" doesn't necessarily mean "100% perfect cosmetically". " I have learned this the hard way as I have to have the front bumper repainted prior to applying XPEL and CERAMIC Coating. I bought remotely, and the bumper looked fine....it the right light, not so much.

If you are buying from a Porsche dealer, and it's a CPO car, you are good for 2 years warranty wise.
The following users liked this post:
Vinh Nguyen (08-18-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 08:21 PM
tbm
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wolpertinger
Check the interior door panels at the top where they follow the curve of the door to meet the glass. They can become delaminated. It's very common with the 991. CPO should take care of it if it happens. Good info here Warped! (pedrosgarage.comh
I guess I did have one issue with mine. Both tail lights fell out at a track day sponsored by the dealer. The salesman who sold me the car was there, so that was pretty funny. They got me new updated light assemblies under warranty. Bore scoring is not common with the 991, but check the tailpipes for excessive, heavy soot build up, especially if one side has significantly more than the other. See when/if the spark plugs and coil packs have been replaced. I changed them on my car at about 52,000 miles. I don't know if they were done before or not, but the difference in performance was substantial after new plugs and coil packs. That's about all I can think of. Mechanically (other than normal wear items), mine has been rock solid over the past 19 months of ownership.
I took it out for a ride today. Very nice. Felt good and had lots of power. It was a little wet out so I took it a little easy.

Thanks to your tip, I found the driver door panel was delaminating. I never would have looked for it. Thank you.

Otherwise, the car was in good shape cosmetically for a ‘16 and performed as I would expect.

now I have to come the service records and see how it looks.

Wolpertinger (08-16-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 12:39 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,548 Likes on 961 Posts

Originally Posted by tbm
I currently have a 2014 Cayman with about 32k miles. I'm the original owner and fortunate enough that it is the "extra" car in the family. I am considering replacing it with a 2016 911 with about 11.5k miles. Not a "need" but a want.

Any advice or experience that can talk me in or out of this decision?

Thanks
Here is the best answer to your dilemma.

The following 2 users liked this post by Fullyield:
Sarawnty (08-18-2021), TXGerman (08-17-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 03:10 PM
Alc
Racer

Received 537 Likes on 219 Posts

Yeah that was a pretty solid answer above.

Both are great machines and if you can find a way to keep both great, if not, 911!
tbm (08-17-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 03:17 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Received 666 Likes on 294 Posts

As others have said, and coming from someone who owns both, if you can't have both the 911 will not disappoint. Get it.
Old 08-17-2021, 06:53 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 139 Posts

Had a Cayman, loved it, like the 991 more...
Used to be that the cayman had the edge on turn-in and the 911 the edge on putting power down coming out of a turn.
The 991 does both now...
And back seats. And hips. The cayman always had tiny prepubescent hips. And in a garage the Cayman isn't actually much smaller at all.
No downside if you can swing it (with nothing but love for the Cayman).
The following 2 users liked this post by Greg D.:
Martin S. (08-18-2021), Rich_Jenkins (08-18-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 07:50 AM
rubycaymanr
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

The choice was to difficult so I kept both
Old 08-18-2021, 09:17 PM
Alc
Racer

Received 537 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by rubycaymanr
The choice was to difficult so I kept both
Cayman R in super rare Ruby Red, I’d NEVER let that one go for any 991…except for a T correctly optioned maybe
spyderbret (08-20-2021)

Quick Reply: Replace Cayman with 911?