Sponsored by:

Rattle in cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 12:06 PM
Tbounds
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Rattle in cabriolet

I have a 991.1 cabriolet it has developed what describe as a vibration rattle in back seat area top passenger side corner . I took it to dealer and they think it is from a spring worn /loose that is under the side flaps that lift up during opening and closing top. I looked at it and I could tell any difference between either side and the spring appears fine . They want $859 to replace?
has anyone else had this spring replace due to worn out spring?
I have seen a post about a loose bolt but I can’t seem to find the bolt they are referencing.
I asked if I don’t replace it will it fail and of course they say it will. It only makes the noise on ruff roads
many help will be appreciated
Old 08-08-2021, 03:19 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

I have some significant experience with rattles on my 2014 C4S cab and I recently found a final cure so I hope this can help you. There were two separate rattles that I had, both seemingly coming from the right rear of the car. The first was discovered by the dealer. The cab top is operated by cables on each side and there is a socket at the end of the cable that mounts to a bracket with a ball on it. The bracket on the right was loose enough for it to move around quite a bit. The left one was also slightly loose. You can find these cables by opening the rear top cover (also the engine cover) and then manually flip up the back of the top. You will see the cables. Follow them to the bracket and see if they are loose. If so, tighten them up but use some blue Loctite to keep them tight. I know this because my dealer tightened them without the Loctite and it didn't last long. This solution had the additional benefit of significantly reducing the squeaks and clunks from various areas of my top (when up) due to the cables now being fully tightened.

The other more significant rattle which my dealer could not find was finally solved via this thread: Rear Spoiler Spring - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums It is very possible that you have a broken spoiler which leaves the spring loose and dangling. You will see in this post where I comment that I accidentally discovered the dangling spring when changing my oil filter. If you open up your engine cover and feel around down behind and to the right of the oil filter you will find the spoiler spring. If it is hanging loose, it bangs around and makes a loud rattle when hitting bumps. If you are a DIY guy this is a simple but somewhat time consuming repair that can be done for about $5. The dealer will charge you an arm and a leg to replace the entire spoiler housing. A third option would be to show the post to a reputable indy so as to give them some guidance, and they could fix it for 2-3 hours in labor and a few bucks for materials. Incidentally, even if only one side of your spoiler is broken, I highly recommend addressing the other side at the same time since 90% of the project is labor to remove and reinstall the spoiler. Take care of it while you are in there and never worry about it again.

Good luck and I hope one or both of these suggestions eliminates your rattles. I have a newfound level of love for my car now that the rattles are gone.
Old 08-08-2021, 03:38 PM
Tbounds
Racer

I checked both cables where they attach on bottom there an attachment that looks like it fits over a ball similar to a gas strut . Both sides the attachment is loose , but there is no access to tighten it is underneath a panel . How did you get to it to tighten?
Old 08-08-2021, 04:17 PM
Tbounds
Racer

Never mind I figured it out , I had to pull up back dash carpeted fiber board . The screw on the passenger side took multiple turns of a ratchet star bit to tighten , will see if that was my problem. I call the dealer to ask them to not order the part for repair yet until I see if that was the problem
thank you so much I really hope it fixes my rattle
Old 08-08-2021, 04:24 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

Check your spoiler spring. For me, that was by for the loudest and most annoying rattle.
Old 08-08-2021, 04:43 PM
Tbounds
Racer

I have ducktail
Old 08-21-2021, 12:42 PM
Tbounds
Racer

I did find the cable and the attachment at the bottom was very loose I tightened it up , but my rattle is still evident on rough roads

Quick Reply: Rattle in cabriolet