Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK (automatic mode) paddle downshifting in Sport+, ouch.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 03:04 AM
aways
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts
Default PDK (automatic mode) paddle downshifting in Sport+, ouch.

So I'm out tonight driving my 2013 991.1 C4S with PDK in sport+ mode. I'm going 40 mph, or something like that while decelerating and the car is in 3rd gear. I downshift with the paddle to attempt to drop to 2nd, but just as I hit the paddle, the PDK computer independently decides to automatically down shift (also to 2nd), so my pull of the paddle has the effect of downshifting again all the way to 1st... (i.e. 3rd to 1st) wow, scary, the car suddenly pops from ~3K to 7K RPM and sounded like it was going to explode ;-). Luckily the car was fully warmed up, and is running fine, but this seemed like a no-no... I'm not concerned about over-rev as I don't think the PDK would allow that (?), but the sudden pop of the engine RPM by ~4K seemed like it shouldn't happen. It just seemed to be bad timing between my paddle downshift and the car' s automatic downshift. Anyone else experience something similar? And how bad is this for the car? In the future, I'm not going to attempt any paddle downshifts while in sport+.

Last edited by aways; 07-30-2021 at 03:26 AM. Reason: add more info...
Old 07-30-2021, 06:15 AM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 50 Posts

More than once. My 991.1 C4S had the old push-pull shift buttons and it was easy to accidentally up or downshift in autocross. The high RPM shift down in to 1st scares the crap out of you but as long as the car is warmed up, up shift and don't worry about it. PDK is smart enough to keep us from hurting the engine.
Old 07-30-2021, 06:17 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Ask your doctor if Aprius is right for you.
The following users liked this post:
uphoto (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 08:27 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,548 Likes on 961 Posts

Originally Posted by aways
So I'm out tonight driving my 2013 991.1 C4S with PDK in sport+ mode. I'm going 40 mph, or something like that while decelerating and the car is in 3rd gear. I downshift with the paddle to attempt to drop to 2nd, but just as I hit the paddle, the PDK computer independently decides to automatically down shift (also to 2nd), so my pull of the paddle has the effect of downshifting again all the way to 1st... (i.e. 3rd to 1st) wow, scary, the car suddenly pops from ~3K to 7K RPM and sounded like it was going to explode ;-). Luckily the car was fully warmed up, and is running fine, but this seemed like a no-no... I'm not concerned about over-rev as I don't think the PDK would allow that (?), but the sudden pop of the engine RPM by ~4K seemed like it shouldn't happen. It just seemed to be bad timing between my paddle downshift and the car' s automatic downshift. Anyone else experience something similar? And how bad is this for the car? In the future, I'm not going to attempt any paddle downshifts while in sport+.
I understand your surprise and your concern. But, remember that Sport + is specifically designed for track use and the computer shifts to keep the engine at its maximum power/torque range which is at high rpm’s. Your solution is correct and what I do. I manual shift in Sport. I let the computer shift as designed in Sport + and I concentrate on driving.
aways (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 08:51 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 431 Posts

If you think this downshift was bad...... downshift and hit the rev limiter if you want a Oh Crap moment.

Old 07-30-2021, 11:43 AM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 214 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it, the car can take it.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:04 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default My first "mod"...

Originally Posted by Jay-S
More than once. My 991.1 C4S had the old push-pull shift buttons and it was easy to accidentally up or downshift in autocross. The high RPM shift down in to 1st scares the crap out of you but as long as the car is warmed up, up shift and don't worry about it. PDK is smart enough to keep us from hurting the engine.
I bought my 2013 Carrera S used this past Spring. When I first drove the car with those push/pull buttons, same functions on both sides of the wheel, buttons...I was unimpressed and missed the shifting paddles I had on my former 2015 Cayman GTS. The search was on for a paddle shifter steering wheel...I found one locally and had it installed at the local Porsche dealership. The change in steering wheels requires a PIWIS adjustment to reset a parameter. Night and day difference...love my paddle shifters....in spire of the fact that the wheel and the labor ran me close to $2,000.

I did try Sport + on the street once or twice, just too aggressive for my taste, taking the car to Red Line....it will do this in Gears 1 through 6Th.

99% of the time I drove in Sport Mode on the street...loved hearing the exhaust pops and crackles, and the automatic down shifts...augmented on occasion with my paddle shifters. At the track, Sport + was the mode of choice.

FWIW, at the track with the Cayman GTS with Sport + engaged, when approaching a corner coming off a fast sweeper (Turn 2 at Willow Springs) , under braking for Turn 3, I would do a manual downshift with the paddle. The downshift would only occur, when the proper RPM Rev match could be achieved by the PDK. I had the car to the track on many an occasion, and drove exclusively in Sport +, used this technique every time at Willow Springs.

Not having Sport Chrono on my 2013 Carrera S PDK, with only Norma and Sport available to me, I have been reluctant to try this trick at the track, yet, having only 2 days at the track with the car. Back to Willow Springs in September....hope to have a DSC v3 controller installed by then....but that's a story for another string..

Last edited by Martin S.; 07-30-2021 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-30-2021, 05:26 PM
Nathan_
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
If you think this downshift was bad...... downshift and hit the rev limiter if you want a Oh Crap moment.
Only way that could happen is if car was accelerating hard without the engine, perhaps going down a really, really steep hill when you downshift and the downshift was going to be right on the limit anyway - the rear wheel speed would have to increase between the TCU initiating the shift and the next clutch engaging.

Zero chance of it happening in normal conditions.
Old 07-30-2021, 06:35 PM
rhody718
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
i have a friend that meant to shift from 3rd to 4th in his MT car (not a Porsche) and went to 2nd instead….damn near tore the transmission out of the car
Old 07-31-2021, 01:25 AM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 455 Posts

It's fine, Porsche has designed failsafe to prevent any damage with such actions in the PDK.

Last edited by NCheok; 08-02-2021 at 03:52 AM.
Old 07-31-2021, 01:35 AM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

I cannot personally vouch for this but it is said the only way to jack things up with a PDK would involve you being airborne. Here is a convincing thread (to me) that you are good.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...k-trans-2.html
Old 07-31-2021, 01:51 AM
koven
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 172 Posts

one time i floored it in 1st, bounced the limiter and fuel cut off. was expecting pdk to auto upshift but i was in manual mode. d'oh
Old 07-31-2021, 02:03 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Always embarrassing when that happens in a passing situation. I always forget I'm in manual mode, and I always get repeated bounces off the rev limiter. Oh, well, it'll blow the carbon out.
CSK 911 C4S (07-31-2021)
Old 07-31-2021, 09:03 PM
spintype
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by aways
I don't touch the paddles unless I shift the lever to M - Manual mode.
The following 2 users liked this post by spintype:
aways (08-01-2021), desmotesta (07-31-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 08:09 PM
aways
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks everybody for the input. I guess the consensus is to stay out of sport+ on city streets and save the paddles for manual mode... sounds like good advice.

Quick Reply: PDK (automatic mode) paddle downshifting in Sport+, ouch.