Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS interior engine noise - sport vs sport +

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 10:41 AM
oronymo
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts
Default 991.2 GTS interior engine noise - sport vs sport +

I’ve been driving and loving my .2 Targa GTS and I think I’ve discovered something about sport plus mode that’s not documented very clearly.

With the top down, there’s obviously an exhaust sound difference between normal, sport and sport plus. Sport is louder, deeper, and adds fun (if a bit too much “racer boy”) burbles. Sport plus has the same sound minus the burbles (although there is a little bit of burble that’s very subtle).

With the top up, these louder exhaust modes are less noticeable, but the differences still there.

However, in sport plus mode I feel like I’m hearing more engine noise - both more intake sound and louder over run (high rev deceleration). It sounds very nice and is my favorite mode by far.

it also seems like this is more pronounced in GTS models I’ve driven than standard Carrera S. I know the GTS has a little less sound deadening. Is that all? Or is sport plus mode in a GTS doing something slightly different to enhance engine noise?

Last edited by oronymo; 07-28-2021 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-28-2021, 11:33 AM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 692 Likes on 452 Posts

Loader overhang?
Old 07-28-2021, 11:34 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Sport+ leaves the throttle open slightly (and/or the wastegates closed) to keep the turbos spooled up a little bit for better transient throttle response. This generates a different exhaust note, particularly during overrun, but also changes your intake pressure.

The sound symposers are hooked up to the charge side of the intake, which would explain why you hear a difference in the cabin.
Old 07-28-2021, 11:40 AM
oronymo
Racer

Originally Posted by XLR82XS
Loader overhang?
I meant over run. Edited.

Last edited by oronymo; 07-28-2021 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-28-2021, 11:42 AM
oronymo
Racer

Originally Posted by asellus
Sport+ leaves the throttle open slightly (and/or the wastegates closed) to keep the turbos spooled up a little bit for better transient throttle response. This generates a different exhaust note, particularly during overrun, but also changes your intake pressure.

The sound symposers are hooked up to the charge side of the intake, which would explain why you hear a difference in the cabin.
That makes sense. Thanks!

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS interior engine noise - sport vs sport +