Sponsored by:

Got my antigravity - already installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2021, 09:53 PM
myrr
Pro

Received 312 Likes on 154 Posts

Yessir - and TY!

How about charging from the alternator? Ours is rated at 175 amps.
Old 07-11-2021, 11:02 PM
spintype
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

How is the install in the 991? Does it fit in the same bracket/spot? Did you have to modify anything?
Old 07-12-2021, 12:54 AM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by spintype
How is the install in the 991? Does it fit in the same bracket/spot? Did you have to modify anything?
Easy. Same spot. No modifications. The tray on the 991 has threaded holes to accommodate longer and shorter batteries.
the longest part was installing pigtails so I can attach the charger without opening the frunk. 15 minutes with tax and tip.
Old 07-12-2021, 01:00 AM
spintype
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg D.
Easy. Same spot. No modifications. The tray on the 991 has threaded holes to accommodate longer and shorter batteries.
the longest part was installing pigtails so I can attach the charger without opening the frunk. 15 minutes with tax and tip.
Thanks. I am looking at this page: https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...es/automotive/

Which particular model did you get? I have a 2015 991.1 and wondering which one would be suitable.

Also, I am curious if other manufacturers are making these? The brand name "Antigravity Battery" sounds something out of a Skymall magazine, suspect and gimmicy if I had not looked here on Rennlist.

Edit: Duhh...there is a car model selector which popped up this model: https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...tive/ag-h6-rs/
$850 is a bit steep.

Last edited by spintype; 07-12-2021 at 01:09 AM.
Old 07-12-2021, 02:16 AM
koven
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 172 Posts

ive had the Antigravity H7 in my car for 2 years now. it's great, no issues
Old 07-12-2021, 01:05 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,046 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by myrr
Yessir - and TY!

How about charging from the alternator? Ours is rated at 175 amps.
This is a good question for us to answer so that people can understand how, in general, and alternator charges.

When a Car is listed as having an Alternator Rating that puts out 175 Amps, that rating is the Max and comes from a rating system considering the Alternator is turning at 6000 rpm, but it is important to understand that this figure does not represent what the alternator actually puts out into a battery, and this is because the Alternator only put out what is demanded from a Cars systems. For example if you turn on the Heated Seats, or A/C or other accessories the Alternator will put our more current, but it will not force or push that current into a battery, or other accessories, it just puts out what is drawn from it. So having a Alternator rated at 175 amps will not affect the battery charging because the battery does not get the full 175 amps. Having a bigger Alternator only means that you can have more energy available for the accessoriesin your Car, for example if you put in a very large stereo system you may need even a larger Alternator at times... but that still will not effect the charging of the battery because it will simply get what it needs, it will not have the energy forced into it.
Old 07-12-2021, 01:26 PM
myrr
Pro

Understood - so, how about a situation where the battery is low... would this not put a greater load on the alternator due to the inherently low resistance of the lithium battery? And it that were the case, wouldn't the alternator also be putting out it's maximum charging amp to the battery itself?
Old 07-12-2021, 01:37 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by spintype
Thanks. I am looking at this page: https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...es/automotive/

Which particular model did you get? I have a 2015 991.1 and wondering which one would be suitable.

Also, I am curious if other manufacturers are making these? The brand name "Antigravity Battery" sounds something out of a Skymall magazine, suspect and gimmicy if I had not looked here on Rennlist.

Edit: Duhh...there is a car model selector which popped up this model: https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...tive/ag-h6-rs/
$850 is a bit steep.
Hey Sprint,
Our name Antigravity Batteries is because I thought it sounded cool back when I stated the company in 2010. So I am responsible if the name sound gimmicky... I called it Antigravity because our batteries are literally up to 70% lighter than Lead/Acid.... so the name portrays the lightweight of our Batteries.

To give you some background we were established in 2010. We started in the Motorcycle/Powersports side of thing and just doing racing stuff the first year, we became popular in that segment then we then expanded into OEM replacement stuff for Moto and Powersports Vehicles. In 2015 our first Lithium Auto Batteries came out but mostly for racing. Then in about 2016-17 we started making them for Street Automobiles and have advanced and expanded that line ever since to the point that we have all the OEM drop in fit sizes and the most advance Lithium Battery on the Market bar none. So we are not actually not new or "suspect" and have a long history you can find just by Googling ud, or search Rennlist which we've been on Rennlist for 3 years. Additionally, we arguably started the Mini Lithium Jump Starter Market with our MICRO-START Jump Starter products back in 2013 which won Runner up for best new product in the 4x4 Catagory at SEMA 2013. We also won Consumer Reports Best Rated Jump Starter with our MICRO-START XP-10 Model, and now there are tons of companies making these mini jump starters. We also make Deep Cycle Lithium Batteries for RVs and Trolling and such.

As far as other companies doing this. You can check out Volt Phreaks, Lithium Pros, Braille Batteries who all make the Automotive size batteries. None have our WIRELESS built-in Jump Starting and more advanced Battery Management System (BMS), but some make fine Batteries, you can do some research. Stay away from any company that does not have a full BMS in their battery, that can be un-safe.

As and FYI, here is a video on the Automobile product line we sell on Rennlist...it tells all about the batteries, and give alot of info about lithium batteries in general.

The following users liked this post:
BlueShell (07-15-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 01:42 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 408 Posts

how about this thread (complete with altered Federal document)
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ery-doa-7.html
Old 07-12-2021, 02:24 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by myrr
Understood - so, how about a situation where the battery is low... would this not put a greater load on the alternator due to the inherently low resistance of the lithium battery? And it that were the case, wouldn't the alternator also be putting out it's maximum charging amp to the battery itself?
Actually it would not work this way for either older Alternators nor the Smart Alternators that todays Cars have. Though Lithium has a lower resistance (which basically means it can flow electricity with less resistance), its lower resistance is more important on the Starting aspect, rather than the charging aspect. Since Lithium offers lower resistance it can put out current with a much greater Pulse discharge so that allows better more powerful starting. So, while the lower resistance play a smaller part on re-charging, the fact is the Lithium battery accepts a much faster charge just due to the fact that the chemical make-up can accept more of the charging input currently more efficiently than a lead/acid battery. So this actually leads to less of a load on the alternator, because the Lithium chargers faster but it still wouldn't be pulling the maximum load from the Alternator just because its low.

Also when talking charging from a Stand Alone type charger, like a CTEK, the lead acid batteries also require the longer "absorption" phase which is not needed by a Lithium Battery. So in fact the lithium battery in your car will re-charge much faster than the lead acid would, no matter if your charging from the Car or a Stand alone charger, but it does not really put any more load or demand on these systems. Overall this would not be any significant benefit or detriment to an Alternator because, be it a lead/acid or lithium battery, the Alternators are made to last very long and put out wide variety of higher current draws like heated seats, Air Conditioning, or Cranking the radio while using the A/C and having the Car in Sport Mode which also draws more current. So the charging of the battery will never be a major load on the car unless you are running all you accessories at the same , and in that case the lithium would still charge more efficiently than lead/acid.

This is much more relevant in larger batteries like RV batteries, when people have smaller alternators and are trying to charge larger Amp Hour batteries with inadequate charging systems where the Alternator is struggling to recharge a very high Amp Hour Battery, but it does not apply to standard Automobile system and the Amp Hours we provide for a Starter Battery.
Old 07-12-2021, 02:26 PM
myrr
Pro

Thank you for your response!
Old 07-12-2021, 02:44 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Turbodan
how about this thread (complete with altered Federal document)
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ery-doa-7.html
HI Dan, as we stated clearly in the thread, we had an` employee who acted on their own, and we took action against that employee, and it was an employment issue that we as a Company cannot respond to or speak about on public forums. As I wrote in the thread I am glad to discuss with anyone who wishes to contact me personally, but we cannot respond due to this being about privacy, and employment issues.

Please also not that we have roughly 1500 posts on Rennlist and have been here 3 years as a Platinum Sponsor, and just as I am doing here, and what our staff does in most every thread we post into are simply trying to educated people about Lithium and it pros or cons in an objective manner. If you wish to discuss something with me reach out to me. But lets stay on track with this thread please, and not get into something I can't respond to.
desmotesta (07-12-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 05:07 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 2,063 Likes on 975 Posts

People love to needle and poke just so they have something to see and talk about

Keep up the good work Antigravity
Antigravity (07-12-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 05:16 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by desmotesta
People love to needle and poke just so they have something to see and talk about

Keep up the good work Antigravity
Yes seriously... Not sure how my post of "I got one, it's cool" turned into this... I still think it's decent value for new tech, weight savings, and emergency starting, especially on sale. Very happy with it so far.
Fast delivery, excellent communication with the owner, etc... The internet is a rough place sometimes ! But it's been informative too...

Last edited by Greg D.; 07-12-2021 at 05:17 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Greg D.:
Antigravity (07-12-2021), desmotesta (07-12-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 05:19 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,222 Likes on 739 Posts

Don't know if there is a personal vendetta against AG, but seems to be too much drama for me.

AG has explained themselves and their situation, so don't know why the constant rehashing.

Vote with your dollars. If you think they are full of crap, don't buy from them.

Personally, they post lots of interesting stuff here and I learn a lot from those posts. Still, I am on the fence about shelling out the dollars for one of their batteries.
The following 3 users liked this post by Porsche_nuts:
Antigravity (07-12-2021), desmotesta (07-12-2021), F1SML8R (07-14-2021)

Quick Reply: Got my antigravity - already installed