Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California Import - Lesson learned

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 02:45 PM
Stanley Park
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I remember the first time that I flew to California in a light airplane from the Pacific Northwest, we couldn’t find San Jose in the smog. The air traffic controller recognized that we were from out of state and said, “Follow the highway.” We required RADAR assistance because the visibility was so bad in the brownish-green crud in the air, we could not clearly see the ground never mind the highway. The last time that I made the same flying trip some 20 years later a controller gave us the same instruction, “Follow the Highway.” But this time the visibility was as far as the eye could see. The air wasn’t crystal clear, but it was one heck of a lot better. Unfortunately, we saw so many freeways in front of us, we didn’t know which one to follow. I think that the world owes California a debt of gratitude for what they did to combat vehicle emissions. They made a difference in the air quality, although it makes our lives more complex and more expensive when we buy and sell cars and especially when we import them from other states or countries.
Old 07-02-2021, 09:28 PM
RichardA
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
What a crock of crap. You guys bashing California are too funny. The State that leads in every economic measure imaginable, has amazing weather, and some of the most beautiful locations on the planet. The only downside is the cost. If ya can’t afford it, don’t live here.

Oh and the ‘everyone’s moving out’ BS is laughable. Some close friends of ours put their house on the market last weekend. 2200 sq ft older ranch home, nothing special. Asking $2.85 million. By Monday they had seven offers and sold it for $3.5 million, all cash, 2 day close with no contingencies. Yeah, people are just clawing to get out of California…
While you clearly feel strongly, feelings don't make for good arguments. See my posts above for several examples of things you can't do in CA, even if you have money. But you are right that it is FAR easier to live here with money. But it gets taken away from you at an amazing rate. I wonder how long before we just have rich people and homeless?
Old 07-02-2021, 09:30 PM
RichardA
Instructor

Back on topic, registering an out of state car is easy peasy if you just follow the rules. I’ve done it multiple times with out of State Porsche buys.
I don't think I would go so far as "easy peasy", but it wasn't bad. It would be a lot better if they had good information on the web site regarding requirements. But there also isn't any good reason that you need to go to the office to do it, either.
Old 07-02-2021, 09:32 PM
RichardA
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stanley Park
I remember the first time that I flew to California in a light airplane from the Pacific Northwest, we couldn’t find San Jose in the smog. The air traffic controller recognized that we were from out of state and said, “Follow the highway.” We required RADAR assistance because the visibility was so bad in the brownish-green crud in the air, we could not clearly see the ground never mind the highway. The last time that I made the same flying trip some 20 years later a controller gave us the same instruction, “Follow the Highway.” But this time the visibility was as far as the eye could see. The air wasn’t crystal clear, but it was one heck of a lot better. Unfortunately, we saw so many freeways in front of us, we didn’t know which one to follow. I think that the world owes California a debt of gratitude for what they did to combat vehicle emissions. They made a difference in the air quality, although it makes our lives more complex and more expensive when we buy and sell cars and especially when we import them from other states or countries.
I taught flying in the San Jose area for many years, and I can tell you that those days where you can barely see the ground definitely still happen. It depends a lot more on the weather patterns than the emissions changes. That isn't to argue that emissions rules aren't useful, just that your example of them might not be a strong as you think.
Old 07-03-2021, 06:54 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by RichardA
I don't think I would go so far as "easy peasy", but it wasn't bad. It would be a lot better if they had good information on the web site regarding requirements. But there also isn't any good reason that you need to go to the office to do it, either.
Had my car smogged upon delivery here, drove over to DMV and straight up to the VIN verification window - woman came out and did the verification in a few minutes. I went inside and filed the paperwork in about an hour, even without an appointment.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (07-07-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 06:59 PM
RichardA
Instructor

Had my car smogged upon delivery here, drove over to DMV and straight up to the VIN verification window - woman came out and did the verification in a few minutes. I went inside and filed the paperwork in about an hour, even without an appointment.
The problem is that they seem to be inconsistent. Some have reported that they could not get the VIN verification at all. At my DMV I had to get the form from inside before going to the verification area (not a window). You drove up to a window. It should be consistent and clear what to do, not a muddled mess that might work fine, or might waste a huge amount of time.
Old 07-03-2021, 07:29 PM
roadrat
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

visiting from Texas. Yeah, CA is awful 🤣🤣🤣
The following 2 users liked this post by roadrat:
AlexCeres (07-07-2021), F1SML8R (07-04-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 10:12 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by RichardA
The problem is that they seem to be inconsistent. Some have reported that they could not get the VIN verification at all. At my DMV I had to get the form from inside before going to the verification area (not a window). You drove up to a window. It should be consistent and clear what to do, not a muddled mess that might work fine, or might waste a huge amount of time.
By window, I meant door. You drive up a lane around back, ring the bell, and they come out. The VIN verification form can be downloaded ahead of time, though the woman came out with the form in her clipboard, so I didn’t even need mine.
Old 07-03-2021, 10:30 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

I bought 3 new cars out of state over the last 2 years - all from authorized dealers. Registered all 3 with no issues. VIN verification done in 5 mins all 3 times. In one case, the dealer hired a firm to handle all paperwork but i could as easily go inside and do everything myself. For luxury cars, I'd rather take my chances with the DMV than walk into a local dealership.

By the way, nice, breezy and sunny by the ocean here in LA. My 4th of July bbq will be bug free.
Old 07-06-2021, 02:49 AM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 130 Posts

Chiming in late, but I wanted to add my experience of registering an out of state purchases through AAA.

As mentioned above, AAA will do everything for you as long as you are a member. Probably best to call your branch, but at least mine even did the VIN verification. I also reached out to the local CHP, they got back to me about 3weeks later!

Time wise with no appointment it took me 30mins. Just make sure to have your CA smog cert, title and funds to pay the registration.

It was a truly great experience, the opposite of most of my DMV encounters

Old 07-06-2021, 09:13 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

I want to chime in and say.. california DMV was not the worst. I've lived in many states ( California, Washington, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Georgia )
By far the WORST state for trying to simply get a car bought out of state and registered was Missouri...literally the worse.
The yearly use tax and and registration in Missouri is higher than California registration... the smog WAS just as annoying as was the safety inspection.
The title process is HORRID in Missouri.... I had the state of GA trying to figure out WTF was going on as was trying to get my proper title to register here.
so to everyone chiming in on CA.. its not the bad.
Registering a car in GA was about the same as CA for me.

Last edited by snake eyes; 07-06-2021 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-07-2021, 12:03 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ecosse911
Chiming in late, but I wanted to add my experience of registering an out of state purchases through AAA.

As mentioned above, AAA will do everything for you as long as you are a member. Probably best to call your branch, but at least mine even did the VIN verification. I also reached out to the local CHP, they got back to me about 3weeks later!

Time wise with no appointment it took me 30mins. Just make sure to have your CA smog cert, title and funds to pay the registration.

It was a truly great experience, the opposite of most of my DMV encounters
AAA won’t do any of that anymore in Ca. No VIN verification and most offices won’t handle out of state transfers either. They changed policies a short time ago. My last two tries with them they said talk to the hand.
Old 07-07-2021, 12:12 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,549 Likes on 953 Posts

Importing a vehicle really isn’t so bad. You need a smog check AND a vin verification.

protip: find a smog shop accredited to do both and have them done together. Done.

you can take the paperwork to the DMV or you can pay an accredited title registration company. I used this one: https://calitags.com
never set foot in the dmv. Made sure the out of state dealer withheld CA taxes and paid them directly. Had the car shipped to me and took delivery in CA so no tax in the original state (IL). A reputable Porsche dealer should absolutely be able to arrange all of this for you.

This was in 2019.
Old 07-07-2021, 12:19 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,549 Likes on 953 Posts

Originally Posted by tosha
In CA, we have the best tracks in the world, some of the best public driving roads, amazing climate, the best jobs in the world, and the highest income mobility in America. You guys who are so angry at CA... You're letting your imagination run wild. Just visit some time and go for a drive here.
seriously. There are tons of places in the world I wouldn’t want to live, but I’d love to drive and stuff my face with the local cuisine. Life’s too short to get worked up about how much they suck for living.
Old 07-07-2021, 12:50 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,882 Likes on 4,815 Posts

Originally Posted by tosha
In CA, we have the best tracks in the world, some of the best public driving roads, amazing climate, the best jobs in the world, and the highest income mobility in America. You guys who are so angry at CA... You're letting your imagination run wild. Just visit some time and go for a drive here.
No, please don't.

Don't listen to this raving lunatic.

Quick Reply: California Import - Lesson learned