Tips for a cross country trip?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2021, 08:25 PM
fnckr
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
Apologies to OP for thread drift, but:

Wait, what? There's radiator grills you can install in 15 minutes in the parking lot? I thought you had to take the bumper off???
Personally, I used the Radiator Grill Store grills. On the 991.1 they install by slightly bending the grill to insert through the slats. The zip ties come pre-installed in the correct spot. So just zip them up and clip the end. Done.
The following users liked this post:
Rich_Jenkins (05-31-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 06:47 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,499 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
Enjoy the 93 octane gas until you get home.
As someone posted above, make sure they did an oil/filter change for you before putting the extra 3 k miles on it.
I think AAA isn’t a bad idea either, though we dropped them years ago after two separate very long waits after flats (wife and teenage son). They were great until we needed them. Like some insurance.
Should be fun. Watch out for cicadas as well...
Same experience with AAA. AAA great if you live in NJ. Sucks if you live in rural Nevada.
Old 06-01-2021, 04:34 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 302 Likes on 178 Posts

Keep a gallon of distilled water with you. If you have any coolant system issues (catch a rock in radiator etc) and they aren't bad you might be able limp somewhere safer then the middle of nowhere. If you get stranded for any other reason in the middle of no where and need water, while it lacks any minerals, distilled water always beats no water. You also might end up helping another motorist in need if they have coolant issues.
RichardA (06-01-2021)
Old 06-02-2021, 07:23 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 430 Likes on 307 Posts
Default 2 words

Little switzerland. Stay in the chalet and do some rips at daybreak. Too many tourist and bikes crossing the line at the tail.

Originally Posted by RichardA
Wow, thanks for all the recommendations!

The car has the 3M protection film for rocks.

I'll pick up cleaning supplies as well as cooler and consumables there.

I've got to take a red-eye, so we are going first class to get the adventure off to a good start.

Tail of the Dragon is a great idea.

I was thinking Rt 66 would be hot this time of year, and it isn't clear how much of it is left. I was thinking a northern route, maybe seeing Rushmore and Yellowstone, but I'm not stuck on that.
RichardA (06-02-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 02:32 AM
rykomatsu
Track Day

Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

If you drive along the gulf, if there is a mandatory hurricane evacuation, take a huge detour even if it might seem longer. On the last leg of our 5000mi roadtrip last year, we got caught in Hurricane Delta evac traffic from New Orleans. Google Maps suggested detouring to Dallas and back to Austin.

We decided to not go as far inland...normally an 8hr drive took us 20h.

The gulf coast, particularly the Biloxi area is absolutely beautiful if you can make your way down there on the way back.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:04 AM
NI3
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 59 Posts

My best tips:

-get in a good startup routine. Checking all gauges and such. Every startup, same routine. I even go as far as always doing a visual inspection under the car for leaks.

-use self restraint. These cars want to scream but we should also be safe and considerate of others.

-sync phone and have playlist ready to go. Last thing you want to do is fiddling around with radio and phone when you first get the car.

have fun and congrats!
Old 06-04-2021, 09:37 PM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Received 721 Likes on 356 Posts

If going along I-40, the Bridge across the Mississippi in Memphis is out! Latest Update Here

So plan your route accordingly.
Old 06-08-2021, 01:30 PM
na4life
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 52 Posts

Police are your biggest enemy on a trip like this. So it’s worth being protected.

A good radar detector is 100% required IMO. I recommend the Uniden R7 or Valentine 1 Gen 2. Also, use Waze as others have suggested. Make sure to report police as you see them. Keep in mind they could still use instant-on radar or laser… so even if you have laser jammers installed always play it safe.

As for finding safe places to let her rip, the key thing is to find stretches of road where there isn’t really room for police to hide. Either stretches where you have perfect visibility of both shoulders, the shoulders have guardrails, etc. If in doubt don’t speed that much. Also NEVER speed in VA (it’s a backwards state that throws even casual speeders in jail) nor in AZ (jail time for >85mph… which is like a gentle cruise in these cars).

I would also recommend toilet paper, Imodium, and hand sanitizer. If some food doesn’t sit well and you find yourself needing to stop at a shady bathroom you’ll be REALLY glad you have those.

Quick Reply: Tips for a cross country trip?