Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting a backup camera retrofit to 991.1 / PCM 3.1 ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 10:18 PM
cdelrosario
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bigds01
Any recommendations on where to go for an install in Los Angeles?
Any recommendations for Los Angeles or even Orange County installers?
The following users liked this post:
05ag987 (06-21-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 10:52 AM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

NavTV
Old 06-24-2021, 11:18 AM
Scott O'Connor
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 103 Posts

I've installed the NM Automotive units in my Panamera Turbo and my 911. I added a backup camera with the 911 installation. I give NM very high priase of rhte installation instructions and their response to questions in English. NM stands for Nick Marquis, the proprietor, who responds personally.

The camera I bought is inexpensive, maybe $40, from Nakita via Amazon. Routing the wires is a bit of a pain, but both ends simply plug in to marked plugs, and no programming was required.
The following 3 users liked this post by Scott O'Connor:
AndrewLakes (01-26-2023), kludger (08-24-2021), lucas.kent (07-07-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 06:59 PM
RichardA
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by p010sp0rt8
I had my NM Automotive kit plus reverse camera installed at California Car Sounds in Campbell last year and they did a great job.
I stopped by and checked them out. They can't do anything about my PCM issues, so I'll talk to them after I get repairs from Porsche. But I want to ask you why the Car Play in the NM kit is good?

If I understand correctly, you can run a limited number of apps from the car's touchscreen, at least partially, including Spotify and Maps. What other useful apps? Can you do Google Maps, for instance? Podcasts?

How good is the quality of the control? Do you ever have to take out your phone to do things?

How good is the integration? For instance, how do you talk to Siri?

Does it "hook up" smoothly when you get into the car such that if you were listening to a podcast or spotify it resumes playing when you start the car? Or do you have to select the source, etc., like in the stock system?

The stock system likes to start playing your iTunes library after you do things. Does this?

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-25-2021, 12:03 PM
Scott O'Connor
Rennlist Member

Some of your questions are about Apple Carplay generally, and are not unique to these devices. I won't answer those, since you can do that on Google.

The NM Automotive unit uses Bluetooth to recognize the presence of youre phone, and, once connected, will start the CapPlay app, assuming the PCM is turned on. The unit also needs to connect to your phone via wifi, and the unit comes with that wifi system and an antenna. When I start the car in my garage, my phone is usually still on my home wifi, and does not switch automatically to the carplay unit. If this happens, I either use the phone to choose the Caplay wifi before rolling out, or I drive down the block, stop, and reconnect before continuing.

Some apps respond more quickly to phone input than using the PCM touchscreen. Some split duty, like Waze, which is a very good navigator, better than Google maps. In Waze, the map is displayed on the PCM screen, while the list of turns is displayed on the phone (I am using a Rennspec mount, with the phone on a magnetic base next to the shifter)..

I use Waze for navigaiton, and music apps: Tidal, Amazon Music, and Pandora. Streaming music is automatically paused during phone calls.
Old 06-25-2021, 03:19 PM
RichardA
Instructor

Originally Posted by Scott O'Connor
Some of your questions are about Apple Carplay generally, and are not unique to these devices. I won't answer those, since you can do that on Google.

The NM Automotive unit uses Bluetooth to recognize the presence of youre phone, and, once connected, will start the CapPlay app, assuming the PCM is turned on. The unit also needs to connect to your phone via wifi, and the unit comes with that wifi system and an antenna. When I start the car in my garage, my phone is usually still on my home wifi, and does not switch automatically to the carplay unit. If this happens, I either use the phone to choose the Caplay wifi before rolling out, or I drive down the block, stop, and reconnect before continuing.

Some apps respond more quickly to phone input than using the PCM touchscreen. Some split duty, like Waze, which is a very good navigator, better than Google maps. In Waze, the map is displayed on the PCM screen, while the list of turns is displayed on the phone (I am using a Rennspec mount, with the phone on a magnetic base next to the shifter)..

I use Waze for navigaiton, and music apps: Tidal, Amazon Music, and Pandora. Streaming music is automatically paused during phone calls.
Thanks for the details. When you say that you "stop and reconnect", what is involved in that process? Take the phone out, or do things on the PCM?

How do you access Siri while driving?

When I Google CarPlay, most of the results are long on overview and short on details about how it works, so thanks for filling in the gaps.
Old 06-25-2021, 03:31 PM
Scott O'Connor
Rennlist Member

I use the phone for Siri. But when my iPad is also in the car, on the passenger seat, it fights for being the Siri in control. Thast is very annoying.

Reconnecting is getting the phone to connect to the Carplay bluetooth and then withwifi, as it is a two-step process. Usually both steps are automatic. As I said, sometimes I have to initiate the bluetooth connection, which then triggers the automatic wifi connection. You will see the status of these on the PCM display as the connections are made, first with an NM Automotive splash screen, then the bluetooth logo, then you'll see that Carplay is preparing to launch.
Old 06-25-2021, 03:36 PM
RichardA
Instructor

I use the phone for Siri. But when my iPad is also in the car, on the passenger seat, it fights for being the Siri in control. Thast is very annoying.

Reconnecting is getting the phone to connect to the Carplay bluetooth and then withwifi, as it is a two-step process. Usually both steps are automatic. As I said, sometimes I have to initiate the bluetooth connection, which then triggers the automatic wifi connection. You will see the status of these on the PCM display as the connections are made, first with an NM Automotive splash screen, then the bluetooth logo, then you'll see that Carplay is preparing to launch.
Thanks. What I'm looking for is *how* you do those things. So, doing the connection sounds like you get out the phone, open it, go to setting, go to bluetooth, find the CarPlay, and press it? Kind of a PITA, and no better than the current system, except you said it sometimes works automatically.

How do you initiate Siri? Button on the wheel? Button on PCM? Take out phone and press side button? "Hey Siri"?
Old 06-25-2021, 03:43 PM
Scott O'Connor
Rennlist Member

If the phone screen is on, all you do is say "hey, Siri;" being in the car is incidental to that. The PCM may capture the audio, depending on your settings, but you are speaking to the phone.
Old 06-25-2021, 03:46 PM
RichardA
Instructor

If the phone screen is on, all you do is say "hey, Siri;" being in the car is incidental to that. The PCM may capture the audio, depending on your settings, but you are speaking to the phone.
I've found that "Hey Siri" doesn't work well in the car. Does it work reliably for you? You say you have to have the phone screen on?
Old 06-26-2021, 05:54 PM
darreldore
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vine,
I did research on my PCM 3.1 version 3.43 this week.
#1- there is no way to updated or upgrade from 3.1 v3XX to 3.1 v4.xx
#2 -that means that to get the backup camera there is only the Joyeauto product. Joyeauto is available either thru Amazon or at a small discount thru AmateurAuto which is a guy on YouTube, same name and he has a comprehensive install video and covers all of the pitfalls that are not covered in the instructions.
this looks like the only way to get the backup camera with proximity graphics.
if you can follow his instructions you could do the install.
Old 06-26-2021, 06:00 PM
bb964
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 202 Posts

darreldore are you saying that based on your research the NM Automotive kit does not support backup camera with proximity graphic?
Old 06-26-2021, 06:15 PM
darreldore
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, I have no data/info on NM.
For me, Joyeauto looks like an install that I could do
if I used an installer I do not know what product I would choose.
Old 07-02-2021, 01:37 AM
UH2
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by bb964
darreldore are you saying that based on your research the NM Automotive kit does not support backup camera with proximity graphic?
Originally Posted by darreldore
No, I have no data/info on NM.
For me, Joyeauto looks like an install that I could do
if I used an installer I do not know what product I would choose.
I installed the NM kit myself a few months back and I highly recommend it, if only for the support that Nick provides.

It does support proximity sensors w/graphics. My 2012.5 did NOT have a backup camera but did have parking sensors. The NM Kit overlay the direction your wheels are turning along with proximity sensors for front and back.

HIGHLY recommended.
Old 07-02-2021, 02:44 AM
bb964
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by UH2
The NM Kit overlay the direction your wheels are turning along with proximity sensors for front and back.
HIGHLY recommended.
Can you please post an image of the proximity sensors overlay with the camera. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Getting a backup camera retrofit to 991.1 / PCM 3.1 ?